Shaders gamma settings not saving?

Ok so I’m on Windows 7, using GL driver, the latest nightlies, shaders updated, all good, but recently I noticed that some shaders settings specifically those related to gamma input/output or color boost are not saving at all. I tried crt-easymode, hylian, geom, image adjustment, etc. I can change any of the parameters, I see the difference, but when I click “Apply changes” the gamma related settings go back to default while the others stay saved. Tested with CG and GLSL shaders too. I’m not using any saved preset. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a reinstall or delete/reset Retroarch main config but since I have a lot of preferences adjusted I rather not resort to that. Any ideas?

If I’m following you, it sounds like it’s doing what it’s supposed to. That is, hitting ‘apply changes’ recompiles the shader, which puts the settings back to default. When you change something in the shader parameters, it should take effect immediately. If you want it to be persistent, you’ll need to use the saving options to save a preset, whether for a specific game or core or whatever.

So, If I load a shader and change the parameters, yes, I see the effect immediately, but if I load other game or core, the shader goes back to default. And If I change the parameters and save a custom preset while not hitting Apply changes, they’re also on default when I load. So you see, I’m used to Retroarch shaders configs and I always been using the Apply changes to make the changes stay saved and then I create a custom preset for it. But in the past days, no matter how much I change the gamma or color, these settings always go back to default when I “apply” and I have no idea what’s going on.

This sounds like it could be similar to an issue I started seeing recently in the 1.7.1 nightlies. I posted a variation of the following in the Discord last night, but no suggestions/confirmation/etc. yet:

I’m seeing an odd issue here in regards to the Shader Parameters menu. This is happening on a Shield TV.

When I press left on the controller, values decrement by 1 step, as expected, but if I press right, values increment by 2 steps. So, if you start with a value of 2.0, pressing left once will change to 1.9, then pressing right once will change it to 2.1.

Now, if I go out and hit Apply and then go back to look at the parameters again, any changes I made when pressing right on the controller seem to get discarded. So, using the above example, instead of reading 2.1 like we left it, it reads 1.9 instead.

I first noticed this when updating from a 1.7.0 nightly (don’t recall what date) to the 1.7.1 nightly from 3/4. I updated to the 3/15 nightly and was still able to reproduce the problem.

I’m not sure if this is a general RetroArch issue, or maybe just something strange going on with my Shield TV / RetroArch config. At the moment, I’m planning on trying to roll back to a 1.7.0 release for additional testing. If it’s good, I can then roll forward on the nightlies to see if I can pinpoint when it may have “broken”.

Well, settings for brightness, gamma and color are still not saving for me, while every other changes saves. I also tried to remove my retroarch.cfg file to test on default settings an it persists. I think this might be something on my end here, since people use shaders everyday and it seems only I am having this specific issue, tough I have no idea what could be. Maybe I’ll put some screenshots of my menu meddlings later so you guys can see the effect I’m having.

Anyway, for now I managed to bypass this by manually editing the custom preset as a text file so it’s the way I want when I load.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure our issues are quite the same but they did seem somewhat similar.

In my case, I tried the 3/16 nightly (only seeing “aarch64” builds for 3/17 and 3/18, which I’m not sure are Shield TV compatible…?). The 3/16 build seemed to resolve the 2x input when pressing right that I was seeing.

However, the weirdness in regards to the “Apply Changes” persists. It still reverts the values back to only what was decremented and discards any incremented changes.

For example: Start with a value at 2.0, decrement by one step (1.9), then increment by 5 steps (2.4). Once you “apply” and go back to the parameters, I see 1.9 instead of 2.4.