Shaders not working with Beetle HW - Vulkan

Hello guys,

I’m playing FF9 all over again, and wanted to try some of Hyllian’s new shaders. Mainly the one faring better when there’s both 2D/3D. The game runs pretty well without hiccups (except black artifacts on the world map) but every shader I tried have no effect on the game.

I tried to find an answer here but didn’t. Do you guys have any Idea ? I’m using Retroarch 1.6.7 on Windows 64 bits. Every core is updated. I tried to run Retroarch in the ‘Cmd’ but there is no error.

Thx for your help

Are you using slang shaders? Those are the only ones that will work with the Vulkan renderer.

Yup, I only tried with those.

Common solutions to this type of problem, sorry if you know this already:

First off, ensure that you’re using the Vulkan driver on RetroArch. Are you sure that Driver > Video Driver is set to ‘vulkan’ ? Secondly, on beetle-psx, ensure that you’re using a renderer other than ‘software’. Are you sure that Quick Menu > Options > Renderer (restart) is set to ‘vulkan’ ?

As a sanity check, make sure to update your slang shaders through Online Updater. If it all fails, enable logging verbosity (Settings > Logging > Logging Verbosity) and paste here what gets written to the log right after you try to load a slang preset.

Finally, please post what GPU you’re using too. Some shader presets have minimum hardware requirements (e.g. a minimum amount of registers the GPU must have to be able to load the shader).

1 Like

Hello and thx for helping me.

Retroarch video driver is indeed set to Vulkan, and so is Beetle HW renderer.

I tried to update Slang shaders through retroarch, but it didn’t change anything.

Lastly, my GPU is an Nvidia GTX 760. It’s getting a bit old now, but It is supposed to support Vulkan, and I downloaded the very latest drivers just to check if the problem was here. Nope, still the same.

By the way, where are logs saved on Windows ? Currently the Terminal launched alongside Retroarch doesn’t say anything when I apply the shaders. However, when I launch retroarch, it says :

[INFO] [Vulkan]: GPU supports linear images as textures, but not DEVICE_LOCAL. Falling back to copy path.

Edit : I have the impression that filter are actually working. It’s just that the result isn’t noticable when it comes to FF9 backgrounds. As in, nothing changes. Characters textures, and in menu textures actually see SMALL changes though. What am I doing wrong ???