New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

Ok so I came up with some new settings. For the most part I kept the overall look the same, my main concern was reducing the contrast/brightness a bit and I think these settings did the trick.

Test them out here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9qz8w9xwdsrht8h/sonkun-new-rgb-slotmask-settings-test-4-21-2023.zip/file

Place presets right into your shaders folder not shaders_slang.

6 Likes

First is the new one, second is the original, ok maybe without comparing them one by one the differences, aren’t visible, but looking at them with the two in front of me, i can see already colors are a bit toned down in the new one, i do have to say it looks better to my eyes

from final 9 again first one is the new one, and second is the original

2 Likes

That was my aim right there too. Looking at the pics back and forth you can see the little dark patches in the water clearer. It’s like that for a lot of games where you can see more of the little details in the pixels more. I’m trying to find a balance between keeping the image vivid and bright while toning down the contrast a bit.

Glad you’re liking it. I’m not sure yet if these new settings are a contender for the next update but I feel like I’m in the right direction so far. Who knows maybe I might just use them.

1 Like

I gotta tell ya, i do like them more this one, because it hurts less my eyes and also i had seen before that a better color contrast and brightness can indeed blend better, blockyness in things like fmvs let me show you first one new,

the uncompressed images

the blockyness can be seen in the part when the light is gonna end and start to fade away and also here it is a comparation slide of a different example https://imgsli.com/MTcyNTMw

and a comparation slide of this example https://imgsli.com/MTcyNTMy

1 Like

Thank you for posting comparison pics, I can see the differences going back and forth. I guess I’ll stick with those settings then. I’m working on NTSC 2phase and 3phase settings at the moment.

1 Like

This looks amazing thank you so much! Can’t wait to see your other new presets! unknown | Slowpoke Pics

Keep up the tremendous work!

2 Likes

You’re welcome and thank you for trying them out. Once I finish up the ntsc presets then all that’s left is to get everything labeled up, zipped up then shipped out. I was wondering if I should tweak sharpness on both the rgb and svideo presets to make them look more “smooth”, (I guess a bit more blurry as well) or just leave them the way it is.

The way it’s currently set up is all ntsc presets are the bluriest, svideo is kind of like a “middleground” and rgb is the sharpest.

1 Like

Oh that would actually be so cool about the Smoothing part, maybe have a folder for Smooth Presets or something, I’ll be sure to use them as well, I really love your work and it’s pretty on the GPU as well!

Looking forward to any work you make cause they’ve all been great so far : P

1 Like

Hmm didn’t think of it this way, I was talking more in line of just tweaking the presets that’s already there but that’s also a interesting idea as well. I’ll try some tweaks out later and see, if nothing else I don’t mind leaving it the way it is as well, I’ll see how it goes later I guess.

That’s one thing I also like about my presets, they’re not demanding and will run on most set ups with a decent gpu. I was planning on getting one those new mini pcs strictly for retro gaming and some light modern gaming and was told my presets work good on those as well.

1 Like

what a sublime color in rgb

4 Likes

Sexy shot right there. That’s that interlaced mode 4 at work, I think that’s the best mode to use with the hd guest shader. Makes interlaced content look… hd lol.

The more you guys keep posting shots the more you guys make me want to finish getting this new pack out. Soon as I get home I’m going straight to work.

4 Likes

Careful, I clicked on the download icon and immediately I got an antivirus alert (Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml).

1 Like

Oh that’s terrible. I’m not gonna risk it but I did download another upload I had a couple of days ago and what it does is that it downloads the original and Shader image separately, which is what it would show anyways if you just click on the comparison image the link takes you to. So yeah, please don’t download just click on the image for comparisons : p

It could be just a false alarm, which is normal to happen for Antivirus software. I checked it with VirusTotal and it seems to be clean.

1 Like

It’s maybe website/dl/advert related. Sonkun’s package doesn’t include executable files or scripts…

3 Likes

Non verified signature files of this kind of origin could trigger this stuff sometimes

1 Like

I’m a little confused here but it seems that the virus issue had to do with this link in this post?

1 Like

That was what I thought first and what the reply from me was about. I deleted my reply, when people started talking about other downloads. I will revoke the deletion. In short, it seems like a false alarm.

2 Likes

i think this is kind of a late question, but i would really like to know, what are the differences between aperture grille and slot mask? and in which kind of tv comes the slot mask from

2 Likes

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I am referring to the page that hosts the images.

1 Like