New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

Thx I am fine. I also read in the thread from guest about the new magic glow changes too (which you mentioned here and discussed). Need to read a bit and dig into to understand what all this new stuff is (new to me). I will sure report my opinion about them too.

1 Like

Yeah magic glow is based on “magic bloom” from ReShade I believe. I’ve always heard about it but never used it, now I see what the hype is about.

1 Like

They share the word “magic”, lol. :grin:

1 Like

Ahw yeh men i did use the last prior to your latest update, the one which had the hd presets also. I didn’t personally like the cool palette ones, but overall the rest are all worth considering, well done.

An other thing i noticed is that none of your presets, also checked the new ones from your latest update manages to fix the dithering common in sega genesis or ps1. I’m playing with 4k presets so maybe that? do you have some presets supposed to also manage those scenarios?

Thank you man also i heard you are coming up with scalefx presets aswell which is gonna be great im sure. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

First of all, I adore this preset pack. I am consistently confused how organizing presets so rarely accounts for signal types in a user-friendly way. My own presets are organized this way so I can “Next-Shader” hotkey when I want to switch signals.

I am wondering about this though. I can’t find information about this online and was hoping to find something that outlines specifically each console, but I can’t find reference to any of this information…

I thought that Master System and Genesis being different was very interesting - as when I play Master System, I do it through a Genesis.

**Systems that used the ntsc 2-phase output:**

Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar, Sega Megadrive(Genesis)/CD/32X, Neo Geo CD, Nintendo 64, NEC PC Engine(Turbo Grafx)/CD/Super Grafx, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CDi, Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation.

**Systems that used the ntsc 3-phase output:**

Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
3 Likes

You can take probably take a look at this discussion.

Also, this post and the article link that is shared specifically.

1 Like

Hello Sonkun, first of all thank you always for the work you do and share with the community. Allow me to share with you my discovery that, if one day you should do it, it could be useful for presets with ScaleFX. I’ve seen that putting ScaleFX first, and then FXAA (followed at the end with the Guest GDV or Gest GDV HD) gets a smoothing job not only on the 2D but also on the 3D, all at native resolution with no resolution bumps (Which I prefer avoid because they don’t make CRT shaders work well and become heavy for performance as well). Thank you for listening.

1 Like

@BiRaitBec

No worries it happens.

I use the u-cool svideo for 5th generation systems and u-cool rgb for everything arcade but I understand if you don’t care for the cool presets, it’s exactly I included both warm and cool to give users variety and different options to choose from.

What exactly do you mean by “fix”? The rf/composite 2-phase presets takes care of dithering for those systems. I also added the “sgenpt-mix multipass” shader to my svideo presets to cover checkerboard dithering and and a small amount of vertical line dithering.

You’re welcome and yes I plan to put out scalefx presets in a bonus folder for you guys since it’s been requested a few times now so look forward to it in my next update real soon!

@SkyHighGam3r Yeah I tried to make a user friendly list of the different type of cable types etc. to choose from, it seems to be serving its purpose for the most part.

Besides the links that @Cyber posted below your post I got my list simply by loading up each core and then loading up either the “ntsc-adaptive” or guest’s ntsc shader which also uses the ntsc-adaptive shader in it. I don’t have all those retro systems to test in person so that shader was my next best thing. It automatically chooses the correct phase for the system you load up so I used that as a reference.

@ROBMARK85

Not one day, more like I’m getting started on this today lol.

My plan was to just use scalefx by itself as I’ve seen it smooth out 3d graphics as well as 2d. Matter of fact I demonstrated that a few posts up to show the difference. What benefit would adding in fxaa bring that scalefx by itself wouldn’t bring?

3 Likes

I apologize, since the 3D was tested with the ScaleFX + FXAA combo I was convinced that the result of the 3D smoothing was due to the FXAA pass. But if you have seen that this result is achieved even with ScaleFX alone, I apologize for my mistake. And thank you very much for considering this option. I was excited by the idea of ​​a shader that could smooth both situations.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to put my hand to your work then, with ScaleFX in the middle your work would become the absolute point of reference for me. No one cares like you to provide all these options such as color types by region or the emulation of the video output type used. One last question, a curiosity of mine: wouldn’t it be better for 1080p to use a Mask Width value of 2 or 1? Thanks for your time.

1 Like

I’ve been reading thorugh the link towards the other thread to try to understand a little better. I’ve tried re-organzing the information to look like this, which leaves some holes I was hoping to sort of fill out. (I tend to go overboard with this kind of thing lol so I got pretty exhaustive with the list)

Two Phase:

3DO Interactive Multiplayer = Two
Atari 5200 = Two
Atari 7800 = Two
Atari Jaguar/CD = Two
NEC TurboGrafx-16/CD = Two
NEC SuperGrafx = Two
Nintendo 64/DD = Two
Philips CD-i = Two
Sega Genesis/CD/32X = Two
Sega Saturn = Two
SNK Neo Geo CD = Two
Sony PlayStation = Two

Three Phase:

Atari 2600 = Three
Nintendo Entertainment System = Three
Nintendo Super Entertainment System = Three
Sega Master System = Three

Unknown: 

Amstrad GX4000 = 
ColecoVision = 
Commodore CDTV = 
Commodore Amgia CD32 = 
Fairchild Channel F = 
Magnavox Odyssey 2 = 
Mattel Intellivision = 
Nintendo Gamecube = 
Nintendo Wii = 
Sega SG-1000 = 
Sega Dreamcast = 
SNK Neo Geo AES = 
Sony PlayStation 2 = 

You mentioned here, and in the other post, you were loading up the guest and/or adaptive shader to identify which one was being determined (2 or 3) but I’m not fully understanding. Once it has been loaded, where are you looking to determine the answer?

I’m sure most of these will be 2, based on your previous findings but… that one part of me just has to know haha. Then of course I can fill this out and report back.

3 Likes

Oops I should’ve explained how I was doing it in the previous post. It’s easy I just go into the parameters and look for where it gives you the choices to choose the phase you want. The first choice is on auto which is what I use to determine the phase it’s using for the system I’m on, second choice is 2phase and 3rd choice is 3phase.

So if you wanna know which one it’s using on “auto” simply move over to 2phase or 3phase to see which one “auto” is using then match it up.

1 Like

It’s all good. But yeah that’s why I consider scalefx to be the best upscaling shader out of all the choices, it covers both 2d and 3d and just looks better to me.

Yeah this next release should be a good one, I like how my presets are looking now, might even ask hunterk to finally add my presets somewhere in the repository so that it can officially become apart of the RetroArch shaders family. Thank you I tried to give a variety of options to keep things fresh for everyone. And I believe 2 width is the option I use for 1080p, can’t recall ever using 1.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m away from home, but I always carry beautiful things with me, and therefore I also have your shaders on my smartphone (and they’re great here too). This shot is taken from your 1080p preset, the JAP Cool RGB, and as you can see the value is 3. Wouldn’t it be advisable to use 2 or even 1 at 1080p? Unless I’m mistaken. Thank you

1 Like

It would be great to have your package already included in RetroArch !!! Good idea

1 Like

Ah I must’ve been thinking of the wrong setting. Yes it’s always 3 I use for that, never used 2 before actually so I don’t even know how that setting looks.

1 Like

I’m sorry but I can’t find the source, but I had read on the Guest forum that the value 2 was ideal for 1080p. For next Christmas I hope I can treat myself to a 4k gaming monitor for a glorious experience :smiley:

1 Like

For the proper slotmask effect it’s width should match the used normal mask width. Like 2 for masks 0 and 5, 3 for masks 6 and 9, 4 for mask 10…

3 Likes

I won’t hit one tonight. Thanks for the clarification and for your patience. I learned a new thing. Now I swear I won’t write anymore, thanks for your work and I look forward to the new Sonkun package. Thank you

1 Like

Alright, so this is what I was able to get for these other systems. I could not get anything for Dreamcast and above though, like I cannot see the difference there between phases.

Two Phase:

3DO Interactive Multiplayer = Two
Amstrad GX4000 = Two
Atari 5200 = Two
Atari 7800 = Two
Atari Jaguar/CD = Two
Commodore CDTV = Two
Commodore Amgia CD32 = Two
Fairchild Channel F = Two 
Magnavox Odyssey 2 = Two
Mattel Intellivision = Two
NEC TurboGrafx-16/CD = Two
NEC SuperGrafx = Two
Nintendo 64/DD = Two
Philips CD-i = Two
Sega Genesis/CD/32X = Two
Sega Saturn = Two
SNK Neo Geo AES = Two
SNK Neo Geo CD = Two
Sony PlayStation = Two

Three Phase:

Atari 2600 = Three
ColecoVision = Three
Nintendo Entertainment System = Three
Nintendo Super Entertainment System = Three
Sega SG-1000 = Three
Sega Master System = Three

Unknown: 

Nintendo Gamecube = 
Nintendo Wii = 
Sega Dreamcast = 
Sony PlayStation 2 = 

I’m falling asleep as I type this though lol so I’mma leve it at this for now, but I’d love to fill out these last few as well. (And any others that maybe I missed?)

5 Likes