Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

I’m all up to date. I just realized I’ve been doing stupid things. I’ve been trying to load the presets that come with @HyperspaceMadness Mega Bezel located in shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\Sony-Megatron\STD

They are all SDR, not HDR :grimacing:

Tried some of the shaders in shaders\shaders_slang\hdr instead that are called HDR and they look way better. No I can properly check!

Thanks!

5 Likes

Ah bingo! Great stuff hope this works better for you.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m still not sure everything is correct. Shouldn’t the image change when I change the luminance settings and contrast in HDR settings? No matter what I pick there, it all looks the same. I’ve tried switching to D3D11 as well instead of Vulkan just to see if there’s any difference, doesn’t seem like it though.

Edit: Never mind, I changed back to Vulkan and now the parameters in the shader seem to change as intended, now I think I’ve gotten everything to work! Like stated before if seems to look great with the following settings on my LG OLED CX.

TV Settings:

• Make sure HDMI Ultra Deep Colour is on for the HDMI port used.
  • Dynamic Tone Mappping : Off
  • Oled Light: 100
  • Contrast: 100
  • Brightness: 50
  • Sharpness: 10
  • Colour: 55

Windows Settings:

• HDR enabled in Windows and calibrated using the HDR calibration tool from windows store.

Retroarch Settings:

• Vulkan as driver in Retroarch
  • HDR enabled in Retroarch
  • HDR Settings in Retroarch:
  • Peak Luminance 720
  • Paper White Luminance: 550
  • Contrast: 5
  • Expand Gamut: On

Shaders Parameters:

• #reference “:/shaders/shaders_slang/hdr/crt-sony-megatron-jvc-professional-TM-H1950CG-hdr.slangp”
  • hcrt_colour_space = “2.000000”
  • hcrt_max_nits = “720.000000”
  • hcrt_paper_white_nits = “550.000000”
  • hcrt_expand_gamut = “0.000000”
  • hcrt_lcd_subpixel = “1.000000”
2 Likes

Sorry the slightly confusing thing (ok very) is that this shader because it is natively HDR overrides any settings in the RA->Settings->Video->HDR menu (apart from turning on HDR itself that is). Instead use all the options in the ‘Shader Parameters’ menu underneath Quick Menu->Shaders.

EDIT: obviously you’ve found the correct options under shader params. When you change those are you saying nothing happens? You’ve definitely got HDR selected in the shader parameters too?

1 Like

Just to say you should probably put your TV brightness up to max. However this may not work when using HDR as HDR is supposed to override local settings but just in case…

EDIT: you can also use the ‘240p Test Suite’ and it’s grey ramps to calibrate your HDR settings - this is different for every TV or at least model of TV.

1 Like

Here’s some GBA shots of a preset I’ll probably release soon:

4 Likes

With LG TVs it’s also important to change the label of the HDMI input that you’re using to match your input device. I have mine set to PC for example. I also use HDR (Game) colour setting.

You might want to lower your Peak Luminance value following @wilch’s advice.

You may also have to adjust your Black Level and Gamma settings for the Input. Power saving settings also significantly affect the brightness of the screen.

1 Like

Sorry the slightly confusing thing (ok very) is that this shader because it is natively HDR overrides any settings in the RA->Settings->Video->HDR menu (apart from turning on HDR itself that is). Instead use all the options in the ‘Shader Parameters’ menu underneath Quick Menu->Shaders.

Ah, that’s why nothing happened when I tried changing the settings there, quite confusing yes :slight_smile: Things do change when editing the shader parameters though.

Just to say you should probably put your TV brightness up to max. However this may not work when using HDR as HDR is supposed to override local settings but just in case…

Brightness is at 100 on the TV, or are you talking about some other brightness?

With LG TVs it’s also important to change the label of the HDMI input that you’re using to match your input device. I have mine set to PC for example. I also use HDR (Game) colour setting.

You might want to lower your Peak Luminance value following @wilch’s advice.

You may also have to adjust your Black Level and Gamma settings for the Input. Power saving settings also significantly affect the brightness of the screen.

@Cyber: Yep, I’ve changed the input to PC as well to be able to use 2160p@120hz. I think I’m using the same Peak Luminance as @Wilch. 720? Power saving is completely off, like you say it ruins the brightness.

When you say black level and gamma for the input, you’re talking about TV settings right? Black Level settings are Low/High/Auto where I have Auto. Gamma is grayed and can’t be changed, but looks like it’s at 2.2

2 Likes

Ah sorry I thought you said it was at 50% brightness on your TV.

You don’t have a usual gamma curve in rec.2020 (i.e HDR) as it uses a PQ transfer function instead to map up to 10,000 nits. This is controlled by the app/content and not the end user now and so is why it’s greyed out. This is something that I probably need to recheck in RetroArch as I’m not sure I’m passing the correct values back to the TV especially for the Vulkan driver.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Seems like I’m getting the hang of the most important settings then. I had never used the 240p Suite before, only seen screenshots of it, but I just downloaded it and booted it in bsnes.

How would I use the Gray Ramp to calibrate for HDR?

1 Like

My bad. OLED Light is at 100 but Brightness is at 50. With Brightness at 100 everythings looks really washed out and bad, looks correct at 50.

2 Likes

Interesting, you may need to recalibrate it at the higher brightness level i.e adjust your paper white, peak nits gamma etc. On the grey bars in the test suite you need to be able to see all the bars individually as in all the very light grey’s haven’t merged into the white bar and all the very dark grey’s haven’t merged into the black bar. Tweak said values until you get the right look.

1 Like

Sorry, Does this setting exist? Not found in RA v1.11 menus

1 Like

Sorry, Does this setting exist? Not found in RA v1.11 menus

It’s not visible if HDR is disabled in Windows.

3 Likes

I believe it should be left at 50. OLED light brightens the image correctly which is already at 100. Brightness at 50 is ‘normal’ and going higher will turn black to grey

3 Likes

GBA-GBI preset released - you should be able to update slang shaders either today or tomorrow to get it.

This is more of an artistic representation than an actual screen but it brings out GBA games so well I thought I’d release it.

9 Likes

Hey Cactus, I freakin’ love your AutoHDR addon for ReShade. I was wondering if I might be able to trouble you for a little help? I’ve got a couple of games that are D3D11 that I would love to use it in, but for some reason, I get errors of one sort or another. Usually the ReShade log shows some stuff culiminating with this:

15:00:11:742 [02428] | INFO | Redirecting IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers(this = 000001CB1D2739B0, BufferCount = 1, Width = 3840, Height = 2160, NewFormat = 28, SwapChainFlags = 0x2) … 15:00:11:742 [02428] | ERROR | IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers failed with error code E_INVALIDARG! 15:00:12:102 [02428] | INFO | Unregistered add-on “AutoHDR64”. 15:00:12:102 [02428] | INFO | Exiting …

Thanks in advance! PS I’d be absolutely chuffed if you worked out a way to make it work in Vulkan as well :wink:

1 Like

Hi @ZeroHour glad it works for you! Hmm that is strange - it’s basically saying it can’t create a back buffer of that format and with those flags. Maybe the game is providing odd flags that when combined with the format means its not supported? Hmm what game(s) is it? I can try and repro it and see if I can get it to work. I’ve been pushed for time recently as I’ve been building a big tool but hopefully I’ll get some time to revisit this soon.

2 Likes

Nice GBA shots!

Has this gray ramp issue been solved?

1 Like