Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Just for comparison these are the Sony 2730QM, JVC 36D and JVC H1950CG presets on my 27" 4K LCD:

Sony 2730QM:

JVC 36D:

JVC H1950CG:

3 Likes

Yeah, very similar! Altrough i feel like the Slot Mask one is the most different one in comparison to the other 2. The rest is fine tho! Glad to see i managed to correctly config this.

1 Like

With your images were you going for a blurry look as in a RF or composite signal? If I was to hazard a guess in Sonic 3 A.I.R settings under Display->General Upscaling is not set to ‘Integer Scale’ and or Screen Filter is not set to ‘Sharp’. Is that true and if so is that on purpose?

Yes, it is, im using GTU in the background.

1 Like

Ah great stuff - what is GTU btw?

1 Like

It’s an interpolation shader that seems to simulate Video Signal Resolution control.

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/CRT_shaders

It can make Dracula’s eyes in Castlevania: SOTN go from this:

To this:

20221118_083840

It can also blend Sega Genesis dithering but you have to know what you’re doing because it can also make things look blurry.

2 Likes

Yes ok so because GTU is not built into the Megatron shader it’s probably not doing what we’d really like as in it will get overly blurred because it’s working on a native 1080p or 4K image and then the Megatron will downsample that. I just did a test of my NTSC preset in RetroArch and we come up with this - better clarity. @Matsilagi let me know if you’d be interested in this and I’ll integrate into the ReShade version.

2 Likes

If you want to easily try GTU with Megatron in retroarch – in sdr for now-- you can try the Mega Bezel screen only preset which has GTU integrated.

You’d need to switch it on in the parameters, it’s probably about 3/4 down the parameter list.

2 Likes

Naah its ok. It was mostly an experiment. Its all good. Im loving the shader itself so far.

1 Like

You’re making me curious :slight_smile:

On a sidenote, I noticed something odd happening with my Samsung Odyssey G7 when I change the monitor hardware sharpness while running megatron. Everything is looking great when at monitor sharpness setting of 56 (out of 100). But when I move it -one- notch to the right, sharpness of 60 , then the whole screen gets tinted green. So the whites become a little green as is everything else. Move it back to sharpness setting 56 (yes the setting moves in steps of 4 :smirk:) and colours are OK again. Pretty much something you wouldn’t expect if someone told you… Maybe this could also go in the troubleshooting guide, if you see issues, move up and down the your monitor sharpness to see if it affects the colors or not.

1 Like

Yes - I started ‘tooling’ page for you and @Nesguy so you can play around with settings and visualise them. Here is the starts of it - it’s not functional yet and will be greatly changed by the time it is but at least you can watch progress and see that I’m trying to do stuff to help matters. Anyway let me know if you can access it at least:

https://editor.p5js.org/majorpainthecactus/full/skwKYZu7Q

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I can access it, looking forward to a more complete version.

Thanks for doing this, it will be exciting to see if we can also match the profile “perfectly” once it’s finished.

2 Likes

Great so a couple of things to point out the current version maybe tweaking the wrong control point (I have to look at the shader), the values used are currently 100 times too large and I’m still not sure of that image - we really need a proper guassian curve - I’ll add one with parameters to tweak it and see how that compares. The shader doesn’t directly use guassian distributions on purpose for performance/simplicity reasons.

2 Likes

Hi guys. With the recent Retroarch release I have finally been capable of running this shader. Absolutely mind blowing stuff. Unfortunately I still have some issues that I would like to share to see if we can sort em out.

The shader is absolutely working on my system wich by the way is: nvidia 2070 + LG OLED C7V

I set it to vulkan, HDR is working. I have set the luminance max to 720 and the paper white to 360.

The problem is that when I switch the Display Resolution setting on the shader to “4k”, the image randomly changes colors to some brownish/much darker image. It is something random and sometimes if I go back to the user interface and come back to the game, it gets back to normal.

On the other hand: what I call “normal” if I set the image to 4k is a much darker image than what I get if I choose 1080p (leaving the setting with value 0 in the shader).

For now, what blows me away is the shader with setting on 1080. Thats when I have the extra brightness that I believe is this shaders’ “killer app”.

I would like to know if this is something that I can work out, and how do I get much brighter image on the 4k setting as my monitor is 4k. Or wether or not I am supposed to set the display resolution to 4k on a LG OLED.

Otherwise, this shader really is a next step for emulation I believe.

2 Likes

Anyone have an opinion on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6512813.p?skuId=6512813

2 Likes

Hi @fogueman great to hear youre liking the shader. So that random colour change to a brownish colour sounds odd. Is it a flicker or does it flip and not come back? It’s strange it works in 1080p but not 2160p. There are different masks for both so it maybe some side effect of having wider masks. I’ll get back to you in more detail soon as I’m a bit pushed right now.

Looks very similar in spec to my Eve Spectrum 4K IPS Display 600 and it produces a fantastic picture in my opinion. You could get a brighter display say Display1000 to get really near a CRT with a shader on. Brightness is everything IMO especially as it opens doors to backlight strobing etc.

4 Likes

Thank you, MajorPainTheCactus

The random colour change… it has suddenly dissapeared, I will keep testing and let you know if this happens again. But tbh id doesn’t seem to be something related to the shader but rather to retroarch or even windows.

What intrigues me the most is the 4k/1080p thing. I believe that the real purpose of this shader is to gain brightness over the SDR shaders, and I cannot get the same levels of brightness with the 4k setting. But I absolutely love it with 1080 where it really shines.

What is exactly what happens when you switch display resolution from 4k to 1080 on the shader parameters?

Im testing it in my other system and other OLED tv (Lg Cx 2021) and see what happens.

2 Likes

RTINGS has an in-depth review on this monitor, they’re quite positive on it, bar for the blacks looking grey in a dark room: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/sony/inzone-m9

1 Like

Have you considered the Eve Spectrum?

2 Likes