Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

yeah, old local files will not be cleaned up from an update, but if it’s not in the github repo, it won’t be in the zip for a new download.

However, if the rename happened after the most recent stable, it’ll still ship with whatever shaders were available at that time (i.e., old names). This will, of course, clear up with the next stable release.

3 Likes

Everyone should note I make constant technical mistakes so please take anything I say with skepticism.

I compared C1 vs 90a with Retroarch, the latest Spider-man movie at 4k HDR, Doom Eternal, and Elden Ring. The C1 has a “sparkle” to the image because of the contrast of the deep blacks. The colors are richer as well.

Doom Eternal was interesting on the C1. You can’t do 120hz, BFI and VRR. I generally preferred the 120hz VRR over the 120hz BFI on Doom.

I didn’t/don’t expect Megatron to preform well on the WOLED panel but I’ll do a non-scientific comparison and take pictures. I’m evaluating this TV as my daily driver monitor so one display will have to be sold or returned. 90a is still a great display with my criticisms and the best LCD I’ve used.

Both these TV’s have a ton of options that don’t work together which means you have to experiment around a lot.

4 Likes

Ah perfect! Thanks @hunterk!!!

Although I’m sure it will be a mess close up (i.e with your face pressed up next to the screen) - I’d be interested in what your gut feeling is from a distance.

2 Likes

Apparently the Alienware QD-OLED AW3423DW doesn’t have a standard RGB subpixel layout.

2 Likes

As promised random videos of my Sony PVM 1910 simulation.

Do make sure to play fullscreen and at 4K:

4 Likes

I think it’s a little disappointing that these CRT shaders are highly dependent on RGB sub pixel structure.

What happens if no QD OLEDS don’t have an RGB sub pixel structure? People need to settle on an inferior LCD because that has an RGB sub pixel array?

There is absolutely no way to alter mask code to accommodate other displays sub pixel arrays? OLEDS right now are the closest displays to CRT technology yet they’re a “no go” for these shaders?

4 Likes

Interesting find! So what is going on here? Why would the panel manufacturer need/want to change the subpixel layout? Especially to a triangle if that’s what people are saying.

Seems a bit suspicious as with pretty much all PC monitors you want to read text off of them and pretty much every OS uses the standard sub pixel structure to render high resolution text to.

I think this is one of the reasons you don’t get WOLED phones or monitors. It’s only large TVs manufacturers get away with it for.

1 Like

I hear you and I’d love to say there is some solution to this but there isn’t as far as I’m aware.

However all is not lost just like every TV there are pros and cons to them - what you gain in some areas you lose in others.

Put it this way you probably don’t mind reading text off an WOLED and basically that suffers the same issue as this shader an odd subpixel layout. However it’s still readable, ok it’s a little ‘off’ (not as good as an IPS LCD) but it’s manageable and you get lots of benefits elsewhere.

3 Likes

If you have the time I’d love to see a picture taken from a foot or two back of this shader on your OLED to see how bad (or good :man_shrugging:) the problem really is. (Use the same camera settings above if you do)

2 Likes

I’m not going to lie I haven’t even tried it because of the comments that it doesn’t work right on WRGB displays lol.

I’d be willing to try it though this weekend.

I will definitely post pics if I get a chance. I personally sit back on my couch 8 feet from my C1 so I don’t think I’d notice anything.

2 Likes

Well we do or at least did have pentile displays in AMOLED and SAMOLED phones.

1 Like

1st is qn90a, 2nd is LG C1. Both have Megatron applied.

The shots I took full screen didn’t turn out as the reflections on one TV vs the other give an inaccurate viewpoint.

5 Likes

they both look good to me, but the subpixel stuff looks a bit rough on the qn90a, resulting in that weird repeating pattern…

3 Likes

I noticed that as well and I think it’s something I did. Every time you plug and replug these things it it resets all settings. It could also be the red offset is too high.

3 Likes

That looks better than expected, but how does OLED with this mask compare to OLED with the BW aperture? Some further experiments may be in order.

3 Likes

Check your sharpness setting first of all as that is weird patterning on your reds. You can dial down the red offset by changing the red vertical convergence in the shader parameters.

1 Like

Oh wow will you look at the C1 OLED it doesn’t look like it’s got too many problems at all! So why aren’t we seeing the white element in the sub pixels as we were when @c9f5fdda06 did it?

Is this in SDR mode possibly and the white elements only kick in to get a certain luminance level?

In any case this is an amazing result! Thank you very much for doing this. I might even take my WOLED not supported line off! :thinking:

3 Likes

@c9f5fdda06 did you ever manage to mess about sharpness to see if t helped things?

1 Like

Yeah I suppose the difference there is that these aren’t adding an additional element which is not directly controllable. It’s just RGB or BGR offset on alternative lines so is manageable from a subpixel anti-aliasing perspective.

1 Like