Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Here’s an updated RetroCrisis video which seeks to clarify the installation of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor.

Disclaimer: I did not ask nor suggest that this video feature my Shader Preset Pack. I actually thought it would be based on the default Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor presets.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video!

As for the Screen Type and Resolution options, should I keep the one you set in the preset?

Also, what do you think about creating a package with a folder just for the Megatron presets with relative paths?

1 Like

You’re welcome.

Only you can answer this question as it depends on what type of CRT Mask you’re trying to emulate.

I’ve been asked and answered this before.

My preset packs are identical to how I use these things so they will almost always reflect the setup I have in use on my own system.

Additionally, I’m not lazy but I have even much less time to work on these things as before so I don’t want the extra steps of having to fiddle around with paths.

I also don’t want to interfere too much with what RetroArch outputs when I save. Those are the paths that RetroArch provides so that’s what I’m including at least at this time.

I don’t see anything wrong with custom user shader presets going into the user Shaders Folder. That’s what it was designed for.

It’s also less steps for the user to Load and switch presets and they can easily cycle through presets using the next and previous shader preset hotkeys.

2 Likes

Apologies I need to find time to fold in your fork changes to the main branch! I will do this and thanks again for making a fork and doing the fixes.

2 Likes

Yeah that is a little odd - what does using 4K and 600TVL give you? Its a 4 pixel mask and should give a 540TVL image on a 4K TV. Itd be good to see a close up photo of the CRT youre trying to simulate as well.

1 Like

Yeah I just use the highest value that is shown in RTings. I suppose if you cant get good results after that trying different ones might help.

1 Like

Yes agreed - Ill shift things around

1 Like

One thing i would like to consider as we do that (tho this part could always be done later on): should we change the name of the “hcrt_expand_gamut” variable to something that more accurately reflects the repurposed function like “hcrt_content_gamut”, and make Rec 601 the default instead of Rec 709?

This would mostly serve to force people off of the weird “Expanded 709”/“Vivid” setting unless they actively want to be on it badly enough to change the setting manually. (I think we should leave Expanded 709 as an option no matter what, mind, just in case someone actually likes it.)

The way i have it set up in the testing fork right now, the legacy Original/Vivid setting is respected, with Rec 709 remaining as the default and Expanded 709 as the second option, followed the remaining gamuts in chronological order.

If we do change the variable name, i would also suggest we consider moving 709 and e709 into their chronological order.

@Cyber Tagging you because i know you will have useful input regarding how this would effect downstream presets.

1 Like

Yes the different resolutions and tvls do choose the same mask in certain combinations for 4K 600TVL will choose the same mask as 1080p 300TVL as its precisely half the resolution in the vertical axis and as the mask is 4pixels for both it will scale down linearly the number of TVL that mask can support. I felt this was more user friendly than having to remember mask indexes.

As for your uneven image itll probably be helped by lowering the RGB vertical attacks (or fall off slope) of the scanline. Failing that integer is good or using a 4K tv to give more pixels to each scanline.

1 Like

Should work - have they tried dx12 or dx11 drivers instead?

Yes via mega bezel - this shader is a built in option

Hmm is that because youre using chroma sub sampling/compression? Look for 4:2:2 4:2:0 etc in your gfx driver display settings and try putting it to 4:4:4.

1 Like

If you are using Windows 11 AutoHDR (recommended if you have windows 11) then you should use the SDR mode of this shader. Not HDR mode. I think even turning off HDR in retroarch is required too. You will be doubling up your HDR transforms which is wrong.

1 Like

Where are you seeing colour bleeds? It shouldnt be but with such high resolution and brightness you might get that but there’s probably not much you can do other than where shades turn down the brightness. Does it go away if you turn down the brightness - just as an experiment.

1 Like

Ah you might be falling foul of the deconvergence. For all the colour channels RGB set the scanline settings to the same value across them. CRTs nowadays have deconvergence issues and this simulates that issue. @Dennis1

1 Like

You’re right, that was an error in my original post. Auto HDR should be turned OFF in windows 11. And then in retroarch should be turned on. Thanks for catching that

2 Likes

I actually use the vivid mode. Don’t really see any issue with it but I’m no expert on colour.

I think there are some bugs in basic functionality, for example mask structures (for RWBG displays) and scanline implementation in hi res games that could be chipped away at, which should take priority, however I respect that priorities would vary from person to person.

Perhaps these changes can be phased in, especially as the Shader is now beginning to gain the popularity and notoriety that it deserved.

In layman’s terms, I’d like to be able to implement virtually identical slot mask and dot mask structures to what I’ve done in my CyberLab Neo-GX Mega Bezel Presets.

I’m somewhat satisfied with the colour I’ve been able to achieve, possibly through workarounds or maybe it’s just my TV, or maybe it’s because I started with vivid and things eventually ended up where they are colour wise.

I think this is important. I prefer the Microsoft way over the Apple way - gradually phasing in change with respect and value for backward compatibility vs cold turkey, break it then deal with the fallout afterwards.

If it needs to be done it needs to be done though. I just tend to work with what’s given to me.

Perhaps once I have a little map or guideline as to what changed and how to get things close to how they looked before, that might help. I’ll then just load up notepad++ and do a mass find and replace on my presets.

So I say do what needs to be done as I don’t fully understand the implications, importance nor the potential improvement which would be provided by the changes you’ve been working on.

I’m not one to stand in the way of progress. Just saying that my priorities might have been different. I’m sure as an end user, I’ll be impressed and appreciate what you’ve done.

1 Like

Oh no you can turn on AutoHDR in windows 11 and then have the shader in SDR. Essentially my shader does what AutoHDR does (before AutoHDR in windows 11 was a thing) but there’s been a few tests that shows the windows 11 autohdr has a more accurate HDR profile and so if youre using windows 11 and have access to that option then that is now the preferred method. This shader still requires HDR its just that Windows is doing the HDR transform rather than the shader/retroarch and setting into SDR mode allows that.

1 Like

Just so you know the default preset now gives colour accurate to my Sony CRTs. Although it certainly isnt as saturated as many may or may not like.

1 Like

I am going to recommend you keep an open mind with regard to this new gamut option and the benefits over the current “Original/Vivid”, “Colour System”, and “Phosphors” parameters it replaces/obsoles.

You’ve previously said:

meaning you’ve most likely tweaked around the problematic aspects of the Vivid/Expanded 709 gamut to deal with those problems.

I’m certainly not going to make you rebuild all your presets around these new gamut options.

Heck, if we do change the hcrt_expand_gamut variable name, i will directly tell you what to find/replace "hcrt_expand_gamut = “0.000000"” and "hcrt_expand_gamut = “1.000000"” with to maintain your status quo if you want to do that.

But i will strongly suggest you give the new possibilities a chance and consider what they have to offer.

1 Like