Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Hey! Would like to try this shader out, would it be possible to use it with the HSM Mega Bezel?

2 Likes

I haven’t spent a lot of time examining it, but torridgristle made this one awhile back:

4 Likes

Not yet. I’ll wait until development on it settles a bit then add it to the Mega Bezel :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Right another attempt at shadow mask on 4k - I have no idea why this pattern alluded me for so long today. Its better but not perfect but I’m not sure its possible to get this exactly right without enlarging the back buffer and therefore either leaving huge borders or cutting off a lot of the screen.

Again I haven’t done anything with the colour or scanlines yet but its not too far off.

Viewsonic A90f+

Medium Shadow Mask

CRT Photo: No idea - off the internet

LCD Photo: OnePlus 8 Pro Camera: Pro Mode, ISO 200, WB 5000K, Aperture Speed 1/60, about 10cm from the screen, 48MPixel JPEG.

5 Likes

The emulated phosphors kind of have a diagonal pattern to them for some reason. Otherwise it’s fantastic. What pattern is this?

4 Likes

Cool, I’m not crazy :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah I was trying to get rid of that with some cross hatched pattern but that kept failing. This pattern is simply:

RGB

BRG

GBR

The cross hatch of this one (by adding X to make RGBX so you can cross hatch it) is

MGMG

GMGM

MGMG

GMGM

Which is the fine grain one I already have

I tried

RGBX

BXRG

And it produces vertical lines

1 Like

Here’s torridgristle’s mask (1080p):

and here’s the MG / GM mask for comparison:

So, probably roughly similar in size to your coarse mask, though the lack of scanlines in the first pic makes the comparison a little weird.

2 Likes

Ah ok interesting I’ll have to try TorridGristles mask - it looks like he’s gone for slightly elongated phosphors, its definitely a promising mask though. I do find looking at a lot of shadow mask photos the displays can vary quite a lot from one to another. Maybe its just poor photos though.

For my Viewsonic simulation I decided to go with simple MG GM mask you and @Nesguy pointed me at as the monitor is actually really high res anyway and so must have looked similar to the above fine mask shot. I’ll post some pics and submit to GitHub tonight.

2 Likes

I think this is probably for the best as it keeps the phosphor/triad shape accurate. It’s just slightly finer pitch than the Viewsonic, well within the range of dotmask CRTs.

I wonder if any dotmask CRTs were as high pitch as the coarse mask? Maybe some early 80s computer monitors?

1 Like

I’ve finished the first pass of my Viewsonic A90f+ simulation shader. I had tried lots of different things out on this to see what worked best and as said above came round full circle to the original mask proposed above.

I had at first thought this too fine but now realise that is probably how those monitors actually looked - not every monitor back then you saw the phosphors.

Anyway I’ve now matched up the colours and scanlines as best I can to some photos I’ve found. Whether they are the best source I have no idea but then again in terms of colouring I still need to go back and get deep down in the nitty gritty of tweaking it for each of the monitors so far (CRT first, LCD second).

Here are my photos:

Viewsonic SuperClear A90f+

LCD Only

CRT/LCD

Close up of LCD

LCD Photo: OnePlus 8 Pro Camera: Pro Mode, ISO 200, WB 5000K, Aperture Speed 1/60, about 10cm from the screen, 48MPixel JPEG.

3 Likes

and some of Solider Blade:

Viewsonic SuperClear A90f+

LCD

4 Likes

Its really for 8K screens - I have an even larger one as well for 8K - just to get the coarse on those as well if you like the grainy look from a distance. But you’re right whether I actually use it in any of my CRT simulation presets probably not.

1 Like

So I’ve been following this wonderful shader for the past few weeks and I’ve recently found out why the presets never looked quite right on my TCL 55r615. It’s apparently a GRB panel. Would you be able to add a subpixel structure toggle for it? Or, what masks are generally used for this type of panel in 4K? I tried replacing RGBX with GRBX in the slot mask shader and while it looks ok I somehow doubt it’s that simple.

2 Likes

Yes sure thing! I didn’t even know GRB existed! I’ll try and get you something this weekend but it might slip to next week as my brother is up visiting us.

It will literally be that simple by the way as in GRBX. Note as with all HDR you will need to play around with peak, paper white and contrast to make it look right for your specific display

3 Likes

@BendBombBoom so whilst developing the Viewsonic A90f+ shader I noticed that I needed to lower the paper white quite a lot to make it look right. I can imagine on your super bright display a similar thing happening. I didn’t need to change the contrast though so I left it at the default which for my display (settings) seem to be -0.3.

Anyway I hope youre having better luck making it look right.

1 Like

Oh that sounds great! I’ll play around with GRBX in the meantime. Yeah it seems to be a pretty niche arrangement and this is a budget display. Going by rtings though it gets about 840nits in real scene peak brightness so the brightness results are better than I expected.

2 Likes

That’s better than my display so it’s not that budget! Mine peaks around 700. Brightness is pretty much the key thing with these shaders.

1 Like

Work is busy so I haven’t been able to mess with it. I did try it on an LG Oled and felt it still looked flat. I’m wondering if my expectations in how bright the whites should be are too high? Perhaps a shot of your setup with the shader off and on would help?

I love how sharp and “real” the mask looks.

3 Likes

All of this is making me pessimistic regarding black frame insertion to reduce motion blur. If we need 1000 nits to accurately emulate the CRT phosphor mask without BFI, what is that with BFI? Over 2000?

We’ll just have to wait for HDR 1000 + True Black + 1000Hz. 10 years? 20 years?

2 Likes