Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor

Naah its ok. It was mostly an experiment. Its all good. Im loving the shader itself so far.

1 Like

You’re making me curious :slight_smile:

On a sidenote, I noticed something odd happening with my Samsung Odyssey G7 when I change the monitor hardware sharpness while running megatron. Everything is looking great when at monitor sharpness setting of 56 (out of 100). But when I move it -one- notch to the right, sharpness of 60 , then the whole screen gets tinted green. So the whites become a little green as is everything else. Move it back to sharpness setting 56 (yes the setting moves in steps of 4 :smirk:) and colours are OK again. Pretty much something you wouldn’t expect if someone told you… Maybe this could also go in the troubleshooting guide, if you see issues, move up and down the your monitor sharpness to see if it affects the colors or not.

1 Like

Yes - I started ‘tooling’ page for you and @Nesguy so you can play around with settings and visualise them. Here is the starts of it - it’s not functional yet and will be greatly changed by the time it is but at least you can watch progress and see that I’m trying to do stuff to help matters. Anyway let me know if you can access it at least:

https://editor.p5js.org/majorpainthecactus/full/skwKYZu7Q

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I can access it, looking forward to a more complete version.

Thanks for doing this, it will be exciting to see if we can also match the profile “perfectly” once it’s finished.

2 Likes

Great so a couple of things to point out the current version maybe tweaking the wrong control point (I have to look at the shader), the values used are currently 100 times too large and I’m still not sure of that image - we really need a proper guassian curve - I’ll add one with parameters to tweak it and see how that compares. The shader doesn’t directly use guassian distributions on purpose for performance/simplicity reasons.

2 Likes

Hi guys. With the recent Retroarch release I have finally been capable of running this shader. Absolutely mind blowing stuff. Unfortunately I still have some issues that I would like to share to see if we can sort em out.

The shader is absolutely working on my system wich by the way is: nvidia 2070 + LG OLED C7V

I set it to vulkan, HDR is working. I have set the luminance max to 720 and the paper white to 360.

The problem is that when I switch the Display Resolution setting on the shader to “4k”, the image randomly changes colors to some brownish/much darker image. It is something random and sometimes if I go back to the user interface and come back to the game, it gets back to normal.

On the other hand: what I call “normal” if I set the image to 4k is a much darker image than what I get if I choose 1080p (leaving the setting with value 0 in the shader).

For now, what blows me away is the shader with setting on 1080. Thats when I have the extra brightness that I believe is this shaders’ “killer app”.

I would like to know if this is something that I can work out, and how do I get much brighter image on the 4k setting as my monitor is 4k. Or wether or not I am supposed to set the display resolution to 4k on a LG OLED.

Otherwise, this shader really is a next step for emulation I believe.

2 Likes

Anyone have an opinion on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6512813.p?skuId=6512813

2 Likes

Hi @fogueman great to hear youre liking the shader. So that random colour change to a brownish colour sounds odd. Is it a flicker or does it flip and not come back? It’s strange it works in 1080p but not 2160p. There are different masks for both so it maybe some side effect of having wider masks. I’ll get back to you in more detail soon as I’m a bit pushed right now.

Looks very similar in spec to my Eve Spectrum 4K IPS Display 600 and it produces a fantastic picture in my opinion. You could get a brighter display say Display1000 to get really near a CRT with a shader on. Brightness is everything IMO especially as it opens doors to backlight strobing etc.

4 Likes

Thank you, MajorPainTheCactus

The random colour change… it has suddenly dissapeared, I will keep testing and let you know if this happens again. But tbh id doesn’t seem to be something related to the shader but rather to retroarch or even windows.

What intrigues me the most is the 4k/1080p thing. I believe that the real purpose of this shader is to gain brightness over the SDR shaders, and I cannot get the same levels of brightness with the 4k setting. But I absolutely love it with 1080 where it really shines.

What is exactly what happens when you switch display resolution from 4k to 1080 on the shader parameters?

Im testing it in my other system and other OLED tv (Lg Cx 2021) and see what happens.

2 Likes

RTINGS has an in-depth review on this monitor, they’re quite positive on it, bar for the blacks looking grey in a dark room: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/sony/inzone-m9

1 Like

Have you considered the Eve Spectrum?

2 Likes

This is less likely to be a shader, retroarch or windows issue, but more likely it’s a result of the monitor hardware reacting to the "OFF-ON-OFF pixel mask pattern that is used, causing LCD artifacts on the screen similar to pixel inversion artifacts.

I have had similar experience on my Samsung G7 with certain mask/brightness shader setups. Making the preset slightly brighter mostly solved it in my case, for example by making the scanlines slightly thicker, brightening up the screen and the artifacts would disappear. If you read through the guest-advanced shader thread, you’ll see a few more people mentioning these issues/artifacts happening with their monitors when they turn up the mask strength. So in your case you could test by changing the megatron shader parameters to a more fine mask and/or thicker scanlines, in both cases brightening the screen a bit, and see of the darkening/discoloring artifacts go away or not.

4 Likes

Looks great! One of the issues reported with the SONY was color bleeding near the center. Not a huge deal for gaming but a deal breaker for graphics production.

With both I lose built-in speakers, but that has never been important to me.

I am probably not going to pull the trigger any time soon. Thank for the feedback everyone.

4 Likes

Not a huge amount but it is choosing a different mask based on your CRT screen type, target TVL and display resolution i.e aperture grille, 600TVL and 4K will choose a 4 pixel RGBX mask. Whereas aperture grille, 600TVL 1080p will choose a MG (Magenta-Green) mask and when I write that I see how it’s getting brighter: the MG mask turns on twice as many sub pixels as the RGBX mask and so is twice as bright.

What’s the peak nits of your display (as per rtings.com)? Just noticed there is a huge difference in brightness between SDR and HDR on your LG OLED C7V. Have you tried turning off any eco mode settings? Obviously are you definitely definitely sure you are using HDR (to be honest if you use the HDR presets this should be very obvious if you aren’t as everything will look washed out and terrible)

Just be careful with the Eve Spectrum - I had to wait ages for my monitor and although I think it’s one of the best monitors for retro-gaming the company is notorious for pissing people off with poor communication and broken promises. It’s more like a kick starter than a professional company. The monitor does look fantastic though both in its physical design and screen and it gets fairly regular firmware which is kind of good and bad as they fix some things whilst breaking others (I wish they just open sourced the firmware!)

Hi chaps just to say I got round to finishing off fixing the D3D11 and D3D12 drivers in TATE mode (it should be in last night’s nightly build). So shaders should work in those drivers for lots of arcades now. Why I felt this was important was that the HDR support in the DirectX drivers was better - supports more screens, better detection and reading back of the displays capabilities etc.

One main thing the DirectX drivers do was that we send HDR meta data to the TV in the DirectX drivers which in theory would allow the TV itself to decide how best to display the HDR content but has instead lead to differing results and Microsoft has pulled the rug on the idea so one main benefit may be a down side instead. I’m going to disable this for RetroArch but am not sure of the ramifications for the DirectX drivers so I’ll need help in testing.

Here’s the page talking about it:

1 Like

Well, the brown switching thing has gone away and I don’t know what I have changed, if anything.

Regarding the 1080-4k thing, I thought it was something really mandatory to have the 4k setting on a 4k monitor to actually experience the shader as it should. I’m pretty much sure that im on HDR, that is not the case for sure (I have been testing the SDR versions to notice the differences).

Regarding RTINGS: which is the setting that we consider “peak brightness”? On Rtings I read different settings but I’m guessing that we’re talking about the “HDR REAL SCENE PEAK BRIGHTNESS” to which Rtings says my monitor is 718 cd m2. Am I right about this?

I also guess that the Paper White brightness is more or less halfway?

I Believe Im going to leave this on the 1080p setting and enjoy how awesome it looks

Thank you for the help

1 Like

Yeah it’s not mandatory to use the same display resolution as you’re using it just relates to the TVL setting youre aiming for as in if you use a 1080p screen and 4 pixel sized mask you’re not going to be able to achieve a 600TVL as you don’t have the physical pixels to achieve that.

The shader for simplicity removes the need to know how large a mask is and simply gets you to state your display resolution and what target TVL you are wanting and then (essentially I choose in the shader) what is the best mask to achieve that. As you are doing you can choose what display resolution you want.

700nits should be more than enough to create a bright image with all masks - have you tried shoving paper white nits right up to 700 as well - it works well on my IPS LCD but not so well on my QD-OLED so your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Last night I released 5.1 of the Sony Megatron shader this is basically a performance fix for mobile phones, android TV devices and any other relatively low powered ARM device.

Here’s some pics of various masks using the default preset in SDR mode on my OnePlus 8 Pro (Snapdragon 865) using my wife’s iPhone (which isn’t the greatest when it comes to taking photos of bright screens but I digress). Best viewed with your device in landscape orientation.

2 Likes