Sony TV Trinitron KV-21CL10B

In the past some people asked me to develop this shader Here. The methodology I used here is quite similar as the previous shaders I wrote. I took a lot of photos and videos of the TV and I tried to reproduce what I observed. As this shader is about a flat display, I decided to focus on pixels colors and their geometry:

phosphor-120Hz-ISO40-compare

The top vertical phosphors series come from real photos and the bottom one is a representation of my phosphor maths model. (Here I took 7 photos of a green phosphor at different intensities which I converted to a non-perceptual grayscale image). Below, you can see my phosphor animated representation:

phosphor

Basically, I represent a phosphor with a parametrized sinus curve convoluted with a parametrized cardinal sinus (in order to reproduce observed diffraction).

I propose 2 new shaders:

1. KV-21CL10B: Its TVL is exactly 487. The service mode of this TV allow to have 240 scanlines. (Default manufacturer preset is less than 240)
  2. A “generic” flat CRT Trinitron TV one: allow to set an arbitrary TVL

These shaders are ‘integer’ ones in order to fight moire effect. For convenience, I implemented an auto-zoom mode. Pixel aspect ratio (PAR) is 4:3 with an 480i@30 input source. I decided to emulate a 240p@60 (I think it is more suitable for retro gaming) rendering source, so rendered pixels PAR is 2:3.

Below some screenshots of KV-21CL10B rendering:

I’m about to create a pull request in order to share these shaders 

12 Likes

These shaders are available now on GitHub here or via RetroArch online updater.

5 Likes