SOQUEROEU – Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds

Hi. Thanks for your very nice work :v:. This enhances immersion and is a definite plus :+1:. I was wondering however if it would be possible to make the game window bigger (while keeping 4:3 ratio) ? Maybe by increasing the size of the TV and removing it’s front panel ?

1 Like

Hey @WikiPierre, wellcome to Libretro Forum!

It’s something I thought about when I started. The project was designed for use near large screens. I believe this is the scenario for many users. So, this allowed us to show a little more “TV” than game content, different from what most other authors have done.

The Mega Bezel has features to manipulate layers separately that I intend to implement in the next release. But about this design, TVs are not designed to have their parts removed or flattened.

I’m not sure it would look great in all cases, but basically, you can still enlarge the layers to get a bigger tube area as well. The result may not be good enough, but it is a possibility. See some examples:

4 Likes

Thanks for your answer ! First, I will try to enlarge the layers as you suggested. However I don’t have any experience with shader customisation. :no_mouth: I’ll have a look into the docs and see what I can find :v:

1 Like

The currently available release will only allow a backgroud or tube zoom. In this case, TV and background wall are on the same layer and cannot be manipulated separately.

Please note, the shader documentation is in the Mega Bezel Pack and not the Soqueroeu pack.

2 Likes

Thanks :grin::+1: It’s better than nothing. I’m looking forward the next updates of your project.

1 Like

I love these, I did notice some flipped upside down, so I changed it in the preset, thank you.

1 Like
4 Likes

Wow! Thanks for sharing and for promoting Soqueroeu backgrounds! @Cyber! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi All!

Let’s take another look at the work in progress Soqueroeu TV Backgrounds:

11 Likes

Is the github pack portable?

I mean, do these shaders work by themselves in their own folder? Or do they depend on the existing RA shaders?

Edit: Seems like the project depends on the already installed shaders. That’s too bad :frowning:

Is there a possibility to make this portable? Like, have all dependencies in one folder, separate from the regular slang shader folder?

This is for those who don’t want to update their shaders. I spent weeks to fine tune every shader for every system and i’m happy with it, if i update the shaders everything will collapse and i’ll need to start again. But a project like this being in a separate folder would be a much better option.

1 Like

Soqueroeu, like other projects, are essentially packages with presets. They will always depend on shaders from the Retroarch shader folder.

Depending on the resource/parameter used in the presets, the shader version needs to meet the requirements.

You can choose to keep your presets and shaders pack unchanged, but if some new feature isn’t backwards compatible, there’s nothing you can do but update your shaders folder. In rare cases, it might work, but it might cause some unwanted geometry and filter artifacts applied to the “tube”. Perhaps @HyperspaceMadness has an opinion on this.

Yeah, i was afraid this would be the case. Guess i have to skip trying this project then :frowning:

The whole shader path system needs a rework IMO. It’s natural that shaders is a feature that can take a long time for someone to configure if they have a lot of systems. And many systems need different parameters. It can take hours upon hours of testing until you get everything just right. So everything you have saved needs to be “safe” from updates that might break something.

This easily breakable system has turned me off from updating my shaders or trying new cools stuff like this for years.

1 Like

You can update/downdate HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader as @HyperspaceMadness keeps several versions around on his GitHub. You only need the versions which match the release timeframe of this project. When something breaks due to a change in the shaders, it is usually up to the preset pack creator to update as they see fit in order to maintain/restore compatibility.

If all developers thought like this, we’d never have anything new nor make any progress.

Sometimes the reward can be worth the risk.

2 Likes

Technically the answer is no, they don’t depend on existing shaders.

More accurately, they depend on the Mega Bezel, which is self contained. (Aside from some things in “shaders_slang\blurs” and “shaders_slang\include”.)

In addition, unlike other shaders, the Mega Bezel can be updated via a release package on the GitHub page.

There is zero risk of messing with your existing setup to try this, or update it or the Mega Bezel in the future.

Just update either one by using it’s release, and don’t update your slang shader via Retroarch UI.

3 Likes

Ok, it seems like i didn’t have to worry since both this pack and the Mega Bezel one are in new folders so nothing was changed.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I’m getting a “fail to apply shader” error in most presets. Not sure what i’m doing wrong.

Edit 2: So i had to update the shaders after all. Because while the Soqueroeu presets only depend on the Mega Bezel folder, the Mega Bezel folder itself isn’t portable and depends on other shaders.

1 Like

There was a time some months ago when some Blurs were updated but this was an exception rather than the rule.

Also you need to update your RetroArch itself. Just make a backup or secondary installation if you’re worried about the transition.

1 Like

The most common errors are related to file paths. But if it worked before, it may be related to incompatible parameters between release versions. Can you post an error log?

2 Likes

I sorted everything out. I’m already on 1.10.5 btw.

The solution was somewhat simple. I renamed the “shader_slang” folder to something else like “shader_slang_old”. Then i used search and opened all of my saved shader profiles within the configs folder with notepad++ and replaced the “shader_slang” path lines to “shader_slang_old” using the “replace in all opened documents” function. This made all paths work with the renamed folder. And that meant i could start fresh with a new, updated shader_slang folder without messing with my old profiles.

I downloaded the new shaders and the Soqueroeu project and everything works fine now. And it’s nice that i can experiment and save new profiles if i want to or just keep my old stuff. Turns out it was easier and more painless than i though it would be. Might as well try other shader projects that i missed in the last couple of years.

3 Likes

A little more progress:

13 Likes

Man those look awesome! You really got the console vibe right on your tv bezels

4 Likes