SOQUEROEU – Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds

Hello, friends! First of all, thanks a lot to SOQUEROEU for this (and also, to the Mega Bezel guys!).

Now, I have a question. I’ve tried both NES and SNES cores with this shader and I have a black line above the game’s image, that doesn’t allow the game screen to reach the top of the TV image. Here’s a screenshot that shows it:

How could I fix this? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @yepes ,

It’s been a while since I posted Soqueroeu V2.0. Perhaps some parameter requires adjustment or perhaps there is some incompatibility with older or newer versions of Retroarch.

Please, which version of Retroarch and games did you test?

1 Like

My apologies for a late reply, different timezones, it seems! :sweat_smile:

RetroArch is 1.15 stable, Win64. I used MESEN and BSNES as cores, and Castlevania III (USA version, NES) and Aladdin (USA version, SNES) as games, labeled as the No Intro convention says. I’m using your Mega Bezel TV Backgrounds version 2.1 (files appear as last modified on 2022-09-17).

I’ve tested other games and they seem to fill the whole screen, so… it might be a thing of these two games? Perhaps they looked that way on the original systems. Overscan is set to cropped (8 px).

As a side note, I’ve been able to fix black lines on the sides (for example, on Terranigma, for the SNES), by modifying one of the parameters in the filters (related to aspect ratio, but I can’t remember which one, it was a quick test yesterday). But… the black lines up and down don’t seem to react to any setting I test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :bowing_man:

@soqueroeu

1 Like

Hi @yepes!

This appears a game bug. I tested euro and japan SNES’s Alladin and also Snes9x core. The problem persists.

Castlevania III, didn’t notice the problem, using Mesen or Nestopia UE cores.

Have you used different core versions?

For SNES Alladin, this can be mitigated with 3.60 Crop Top in the [CROPPING CORE IMAGE] parameters. This ends up stretching the image a bit.

You can also do a Crop Zoom. This does uniform stretching on all sides, but obviously hides a small game content portions, towards the edges of the tube.

Also, by internal Core Crop Overscan at 16 Pixels can solve.

Correcting by shader, while it may stretch the image a bit, is easier to manage as you apply the setting for specific games. In fact, you can use this to mitigate this problem. Can help with PSX, N64 and PCEngine CD games and many others.

Note: any stretching can reduce pixel perfection.

Maybe @HyperspaceMadness has some trick ??

4 Likes

I personally wouldn’t worry about the stretching, there was likely always a bit of stretching this way or that on the original hardware since everything was displayed on a 4:3 tube

3 Likes

Thank you very much, @soqueroeu for your thorough and insightful answer and, of course, for your presets and overlays (and @HyperspaceMadness too)! :clap: :clap: :bowing_man:

3 Likes

Great job, I love how elegant and simple it is :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Hi All! :v:

It’s been a while since I posted here. I’m still working on polishing the Soqueroeu TV Backgrounds Package. I hope to release some updates this year. Peeks into the details:

As I said before, I’m doing it little by little, but it’s progressing :grin:

10 Likes

very tasteful and pure excellence!!!

i freakin’ love it. thank you for your work my friend…

3 Likes

Sorry to ask this in what looks like a dead thread, but is there any way to use the overlays here, but instead of using Guest ADV CRT scanlines, i’d like to use Royale-Clone__ADV__GDV located in \Retroarch(MegaBezel)\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Variations?

4 Likes

These presets don’t have multiple references so it would be an easy task to edit the single reference to point to that variation. Just use your favorite text editor.

4 Likes

@BrainyCabde , as @Duimon said, you must change this reference path:

But it will only work with presets part of the Mega Bezel package. There may still be exceptions if a parameter is not compatible with a base shader.

4 Likes

Nice! Thank both of you for your work and the help here, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi! I like the wii 16x9 so much. Thank you! Any way to edit the bezels to make the only dark gray layer show? I mean, removal of the speakers and the button panel. I’m trying to get as much screen estate as possible to play 16x9 patched games and the DC games. What should I edit? Please help. Thanks.

2 Likes

The Sega Master System TV art looks beautiful - I wish it was real :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

If you load One of the Mega Bezel base presets, (e.g. \shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp) set the aspect to 16x9, and the “Non-Integer Scale %” to 95.00, you will get this.

Pretty much the game screen with some surrounding Bezel/Reflections. You could also change the Bezel color to something a bit lighter.

That last shot is using a 240p DREZ base preset to show scanlines, with some tweaks to the corner rotation offset, and a 25.00 Value for the Bezel color. (You could use the Scanline Opposite Direction Multiplier parameter or fake scanlines at 240p… instead of a DREZ preset.)

3 Likes

If you are adamant about using the Wii preset than use these settings to get just the bezel.

HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = "1.916000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "83.970000"
HSM_SCREEN_POSITION_Y = "-14.000000"
HSM_BG_SCALE = "130.400000"
HSM_BG_SCALE_X = "108.300000"
HSM_BG_POS_Y = "-8.250000"

3 Likes

Duimon and Hgoda90, thank you so much for helping me!

3 Likes

Just wanna say, love this! Before I found this I loved the idea of bezels, but rarely used them since allot cut off sometimes huge parts of the screen (i didnt know you could adjust or move the display before) so often didnt use them. But i found mega bezels recently and fell in love and found yours and a few other packs and now almost all games i play with bezels! even 16:9 like the wii are bezeled!

Quick question: is there a way to change the scan line type? i figure its probably a parameter but not sure where to even start

2 Likes

Hello again. :grin:

When you are first in the parameters dialog, press up and you will be taken to the end of the parameter list where all the Guest shader settings are.

Scroll up a few sections until you see [ SCANLINE OPTIONS ].

Scanline Type is the first parameter in the section.

On the off chance that mask settings are what you’re looking for, they are a couple of sections below that.

3 Likes