Sprites AI upscaling

Hi folks , This is probably the wrong section to post since it’s not a shader but I figured folks who would be interested in this mostly hang out here.

This guy has a blog for sprites AI upscaling . this is not new thing by any mean but this is the first time I have seen minimal loss of detail .

while not all of these are great , I found some of them to be jaw dropping. having this done in real time probably would require computing power that simply isn’t available.

*scroll little bit down for sprites upscale. the snk titles are my faves

3 Likes

Wow these are great, some of the best I’ve seen! Do you know what they are using to do the upscale?

I used to have a tumblr account that I forgot the username of but I did contact him on discord , hasn’t replied yet . If I have to guess it’s a certain trained esrgan model Script.

1 Like

Yeah, the training is the hard part for this sort of thing, since pixel art is made for the resolution it’s run at. That is, there’s no high-res version that it’s getting downsampled to.

I assume they just downsample anime until it looks similar to build a faux data set.

1 Like

Well , they just replied to me on discord , apparently he’s using combination of esrgan models. His exact quote :

“the pics in the tumblr are a combination of various results from different esrgan models. I mix & match different parts to get the best looking image”

It’s more difficult then I thought .

2 Likes

Interesting. Well, you can’t argue with the results. It definitely looks good.