Status of composite on Pi3/3b?

Have Pi4 Lakka set up on a nice big CRT via component, but was also thinking about using my older Pi3b (since it’s just sitting around) on a small TV via composite, just to pass some time exploring arcade games, screen rotation and some other things.

Thinking back and searching back… did the whole “composite is broken on Pi 3” thing ever get resolved? That sure did get discussed a lot.

I went through a fresh install today and see the very same “stuck on flower” boot problem when hooked up via composite (while HDMI is just fine)… so I thought someone here could refresh my memory or update me on where this whole thing ended up.

Hope everyone here is doing OK, and also finding some projects to pass the time.

I don’t mean to threadjack, but how is the composite on the Pi 4 anyway? Does it have any noticeable flickering on the Mega Drive cores? I’ve tried nearly all the console-based ports in addition to the Windows x64 port via S-video out but they all failed that test for me, so I’ve been looking at the Pi 4.