Strange core override bug? Hope you can help (Retroarch/Retropie)

Hey all. Weird and irritating issue with Retroarch core override function: Had everything configured nicely on the Retropie and was setting various system shaders. Got through most of them until I reached Gameboy, at which point the core override which had been fine until then, started to overwrite every available console.

So if I set up a shader on NES for example, hit save core override (which is meant to be on a system by system basis) that setup was then applied across the board.

Drove me nuts, looked everywhere for a solution, couldn’t find one, and formatted the entire thing and started over.

Everything seemed ok but now I’ve found that the core override is sharing between SNES and Megadrive. Other consoles aren’t yet affected.

This is a really weird problem and I can’t understand it. If someone can shed some light on why this may occur I’d be really grateful!

Nobody has a clue about this?? :frowning:

I was sent to this forum by others who suggested if anyone can shed some light on why this might happen, it will be among the Libretro community.

If anyone knows why one shader setting will overwrite a different console on core override saving, or even has a suspicion about it, I’d really appreciate it. Failing that, if there’s a better part of the forum to post this query, I’d appreciate that info too.

Thanks guys.

It sounds like you’re probably running into this same issue:

which isn’t really an issue, as such, just how the shader presets work. Let me know if that does/doesn’t shed some light on it.

Let me know if you figured it out. If not I should be able to help you out as I recently struggled with the same thing.

Yes, I still need help! I really don’t understand it. From the thread hunterk linked to:

For your other question, the way it works is: whenever you load a shader, it generates a preset for it and writes it to retroarch.cgp. If you have a core preset set, it should load that and overwrite the current retroarch.cgp with the core preset’s values. If you switch to another core that doesn’t have its own core preset, it’s going to keep using the same retroarch.cgp values set by the previous preset.

I think I understand what he’s saying here, in that if a system doesn’t have its own core preset it will take the values from the previous, but this doesn’t correlate with what happened to me.

The first time all the presets were being input individually. I saved core overrides for each and everything was working independently, as it should. I had probably done shader settings for 6 or 7 consoles before I got to GameBoy, and after applying the pixel grid shader for that, it then overwrote all the previous console shader settings despite them already having their presets set up. After that, no matter which shader was applied to any console, it would overwrite everything.

Maybe I’m just not understanding this, but yes, if you could shed some light on it (and why currently only SNES and MD core override settings are overwriting each other, but not the others) that would be really really appreciated.

Thank you!

30 days on and still no luck. :frowning:

avisioncame was kind enough to troubleshoot a few ideas with me in terms of how I save the shader presets, but none of the tests actually worked out.

At the moment I’m still have SNES and MD overwrite each other when shader presets are saved. I’m worried about going ahead and setting shaders for the other consoles in the event the same thing happens as before and they all start to overwrite each other and I have no way to fix it.

This is the most curious obstacle and if anyone has any suggestions not yet posted here I’d appreciate the help!

Thanks guys.

I was having this same issue, but then found the solution in an old thread (that I can’t find at the moment).

The issue is that the default shader for Retroarch is the “last used” shader, the default is not “None”. The last used shader is saved to the retroarch.glsp file in your shaders folder, and when you choose a new core, it uses that. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature…

The solution is as follows after you choose the new core, and the last used shader is loaded: Open up the quick menu in retroarch and go to shaders Go to the Shader Passes and select 1 Go to Shader #0 and change that to “misc/image-adjustment” Shader #0 Filter: Linear (or nearest, I don’t think it matters) Shader #0 Scale: Dont care Save core preset.

This is essentially the same thing as “No shader”, but not the same as “None”. This worked for me as any shader with Mednafen Saturn was dog slow on my machine. Changing the settings to the above sped everything up drastically for that core. I haven’t been able to notice any difference between the “No Shader” preset and “None”. It would probably be a good enhancement to Retroarch to have a no kidding “No Shader” selection to choose and be able to Save as a core override.

Do this for every core you don’t want a shader on, and it essentially saves an override of “None” for those cores you don’t want a shader for.

1 Like