Support for HDMI-CEC (PC w/ Pulse Eight CEC-adapter)

I’ve got an older Intel NUC sitting around and I’m pondering the idea to put Lakka on the machine an turn it into a dedicated emulation box.

However, the system has an internal HDMI-CEC adapter from Pulse Eight. Does Lakka come with support for CEC and the libCEC library?

2 Likes

What would you be doing with the HDMI-CEC adapter? Playing games using your TV-remote would not be recommended. The adapter would not stop you from installing Lakka or anything.

I too had thought if it would be possible to bind a TV remote to a gamepad via CEC.

It would be useful to navigate the menu, media playback, 2048 too…

If you have an unrecognized gamepad it would be especially useful, as it would allow navigating the menu and bind it without having to resort to another gamepad or a keyboard.

I’d love to use CEC to automatically turn on my TV and AVR and have them switched to the right HDMI channels.

Navigating the menus with my TV remote as sort of a fall-back option sure would be nice as well.

2 Likes

Not quite the same but I have Retroarch on my AppleTV1. The Silver remote has just enough buttons to fully navigate the UI. (Menus=backspace, playpause=f1). It is kinda nice to not having to use the joypad or keyboard to do basic navigation. Feels more complete and grandmafriendly. So yes, CEC support would be nice, if the backspace and f1 functionality could be made to «just work».

I saw this on github:

I there some kind of option to get CEC working on Lakka?

+1 This would be super for basic command and control, and properly going to sleep when the TV/Receiver is off, switching inputs, waking up on TV input select (probably more of a BIOS question there), etc.

I don’t have any expectations that it would make a good game controller.

Support for HDMI-CEC would also be useful on some of the SOCs like the Raspberry Pie-family of devices which have the CEC hardware capability already baked in.

Here‘s a guide on how to manually add CEC support to EmulationStation on a Linux-based system. Maybe this code could just be incorporated into the RetroArch settings?

How-to discussion How-to

Just wanted to bring this issue back up and provide some additional documentation on how to implement CEC.

There’s support for HDMI-CEC in the Linux kernel starting with v4.8: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/media/kapi/cec-core.html

The HDMI-CEC adapters made by Pulse Eight (internal boards as well as a USB dongle) can be used to add support for CEC on x86/x64 machines: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

Many tinker boards like the Raspberry Pi already come with an CEC Adapter as part of the SoC.

Any chance of getting this finally implemented into Lakka and/or Retroarch?

Any news regarding support for HDMI-CEC in Lakka?

Please open an issue for a feature request if you need it.

Thank you.

Thanks for the advice. Filed an issue over on Github.

Btw, would this be a nice feature for the standalone version of Retroarch as well? Similar to how it is implemented in Kodi?