Trouble getting any PSP title to run

I am having trouble with the PPSSPP core. I am running ISOs that have been No-Intro verified, and run on OpenEmu with PPSSPP. When I load them with Lakka I cannot get any game to actually run.

Final Fantasy III, I only get a spinning crystal in the corner, it goes away after a few seconds and then nothing. Grip Shift, I can select new game, enter in my name, and then it locks up on the loading screen after the name selection. Crazy Taxi, I can select a game (Crazy Taxi 1 or 2) and the game mode, and it locks up on the loading screen after this. Dissidia Final Fantasy, black screen. Dissidia 012, I can select an option from the title screen, and then, black screen.

Is there some trick to getting PPSSPP working? I am running Lakka 2.1 on a CN60 (x86).

Crazy Taxi does not work for me either (same crash), but I am playing Castlevania Dracula X and Medievil: Resurrection. I have not tried any others yet (having too much fun with those two). I am using a Tinker Board with Lakka compiled from source so I think my PPSSPP may be a little newer. I would try grabbing one of the nightlies and put it in your /storage/core directory and see if that fixes your issues.

I tried using a nightly core, but it wouldn’t even load the core.

I tried played Castlevania and it works (so far) without issue.

I doubled the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB in the system and I was able to actually play FFIII, and Dissidia Final Fantasy made it to the title screen.

Is this a problem of PPSSPP for libretro (and Lakka) just being extremely out of date, or is there something that libretro does (or doesn’t do) that causes additional compatibility issues?

Crazy taxi does the same crash on the windows x64 version of the stand alone PPSSPP so I would say it’s something in the emulator.

1 Like

That may be true for Crazy Taxi but its not true of Dissidia (either of them) or Gripshift, or any of the other PSP games that I have that lock up on the title or loading screen. Those all work great on the PPSSPP for Mac OS X.

Is there a way to tell which version of PPSSPP that the current core is based off of? How far behind does the PPSSPP core usually stay?

I have problems with PSP games too! I think mainly to my poor laptop specs (2GB). Manhunt game has video problems looks like static/rain. Warriors game from Rockstar is just super slow with video/audio lag issues.

Performance issues can be attributed to the hardware specs, but not emulation quality or stability. These things are part of the emulator. Other than actual hardware bugs (which are extremely rare), if an emulator can emulate a title on one computer, it can emulate that same title on another computer, regardless of the performance of either computer. Of course, a certain performance level is required for playability, but the games not running at all, or crashing at certain points (when they work fine on other computers), means that either the software is out of date, the port is broken, or the host hardware is not configured correctly.

Did you add the system bios for PSP? Curious for my own experimentations and such.

Yes, I have the PSP bios installed in Lakka. If you managed to figure anything out with this, please update this thread.

Okay, I do not have the games that you have, and I will note that PPSSPP performance on my hardware will be quite different than your x86 box as I use an Asus Tinkerboard. I put the BIOS in /system/PPSSPP. After that most games that were crashing at the point of entering the select save point screen straightened up. Some still glitch here and there.

Final Fantasy Aniversary edition: does not play the prerendered cut scenes correctly. but the game seems to load just fine once you actually get into the game even if it is a touch sluggish.

Harvest Moon Hero of Leaf Valley : Seems to run very smooth. No noticeable glitches or slowdowns.

Jack and Daxter Lost Frontier: Does the same as Final Fantasy as far as prerendered cut scenes go. Far more sluggish in game, (but better than Raspberry Pi)

Oddly enough, it seems that the Raspi will render the videos correctly though. will have to investigate the differences at a later time. Not sure what could be different other than hardware differences. Software wise they are both using 2.1 but not the nightlies.

Side note, don’t change rendering_mode to unbuffered. it makes for some odd shenanigans.

The performance (and possible driver based graphical glitches) will be hardware specific, and are not really a concern at the moment. I have the PSP bios, the MD5 checks out, Lakka reports that it finds it, but I don’t get any better support for actually running titles. I have not changed any settings from the defaults. Castlevania is the only game that I have gotten to get past the title/menu screen.

It could be that there are a lot of games that work, and I am just getting unlucky with my selection, however all of these games work on the standalone PPSSPP on my desktop, so I know the emulator supports them.

@esoptron It’s a link directly from Lakka’s documentation.

As for differences between desktop to Libretro edition. Well I get the feeling that the bios as well as settings are far different. So to keep things consistent in my testing, I compared Raspi libretro vs Tinkerboard libretro vs cellphone (android) standalone apk (from ppsspp’s website) All have varying degrees of success and I still don’t understand how the raspi gets better video playback over the tinkerboard. and the phone, sans the minor hiccup from needing to set frameskips (which are turned off for my testing) it’s near perfect emulation.

Also I tested every iso with a modified PSP to prove the games work properly. (had to get the ISO’s from somewhere lol)

Since PPSSPP works (damn near) perfectly on my desktop computer, I decided to try and install RetroArch and load the PSP games with it on the same computer, since I know that it is more than capable.

Unfortunately its even worse. Using the PPSSPP core, with the BIOS installed and verified (the UI sees it and the MD5 checks out), any time I load a PSP game (even the one that worked perfectly in Lakka), RetroArch instantly crashes.

I was hoping to be able to narrow down the issues I am having with these cores, but it seems to have made the problem bigger.

Which then leads to another question: which version of PPSSPP are you running stand-alone vs. the one you’re running in Retroarch? Are they the same versions? Do they use the same BIOS set? What about the Retroarch vs. Lakka version? If you’re running this on the same hardware (which I assume you are, you haven’t stated otherwise), this could be the grounds for the performance difference.

My previous post (about RetroArch) may be pre-mature. For some reason when I copied the PSP ISO’s from one HDD to another, they got corrupted and none of them match the No-Intro checksums. (They don’t work on the Desktop PPSSPP anymore either).

1 Like

Let’s start with what you want and what you’re trying to achieve with Lakka and other possible emulation software packages and see if it can be accomplished. Then go from there. Provide the hardware you are working with (CPU/GPU, RAM, etc.). What can perform well on it with what emulator packages, what can’t, etc. What software is at what stage.

What I want/What I am trying to achieve, is a stand alone box that plays all my favorite games from (before) the PS3/360 era (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GB/GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS (when its mature), PS1, PS2, PSP, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast) with a simple, intuitive, and easy to use interface to launch them from.

Of these systems, GC, Wii, PSP, and PS2 are the trouble children.

I am still experimenting with the test box to try and isolate the issues with GC and PSP. Wii seems to be a known issue with Lakka/RetroArch and there is no way that Lakka/RetroArch can work with PCSX2 (and Play! is far from a compatible replacement).

The test box has 4 GB RAM, a fairly modern (if low end) CPU, and the graphics chip supports OpenGL 4.3, so it should be hardware compatible with any emulator I throw at it (even if its not powerful enough to run them all at reasonable speeds)

If RetroArch gets updated with the latest versions of Dolphin and PPSSPP (and they work) then I will still have the issue with PCSX2. I may end up dual booting with Lakka and an Ubuntu Minimal install that goes straight into PCSX2 to temporarily “solve” this.

The requirements for the last four systems you listed, are going to be MUCH higher than what your current Lakka system, or mine, is going to be able to support (with the 3DS and PS2 being the main culprits).

By the way, faulty assumption on your part thinking that any PC hardware can emulate any other PC hardware. There is a reason why cycle-accurate SNES emulation requires a “3 GHz CPU”: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2712-why-perfect-hardware-snes-emulation-requires-a-3ghz-cpu/

I’m also saying this as an electrical engineer with a background in computer architecture (which when I saw your comment, had me wanting to reach through the monitor and smack the $#!+ out of you). Not going to lie. :slight_smile:

I could say a Master in Computer Science and two decades of development from designing low level languages and frameworks to high level games should be enough to give you an idea that I speak not as an inexperienced emulation user, but as a software engineer, but that shouldn’t be needed for someone that has a background in computer architecture.

Recall the Turing Machine (or more importantly for this conversation, the idea of the Universal Turing Machine). A UTM can emulate any other Turing Machine, regardless of the hosts simplicity or the guests complexity. Every single consumer “computer” (this includes consoles) in decades can be classified as a UTM, and therefor every computer can emulate every other computer regardless of complexity. The single most important caveat is the “infinite tape” which just translates to “enough space, in some fashion, be it classic memory, a HDD, punch cards, etc…” for it to store necessary data (so the space for the ROM and the memory chips of the console).

If it helps to understand, break the guest machine down in to its generic components. Just like how everything you see and do on a computer is represented as binary data in a very low level abstract fashion. The various components of a computer can like-wise be broken down into similar abstract details such as reading data (input devices, memory, HDD, etc…), writing data (memory, HDD, display, audio, etc…), and simple basic operands of that data (comparison, inequality, etc…). Everything a computer does can be broken down in such a fashion. This is called an abstract machine, and any abstract machine that is capable of all of the basic operations, can emulate any other abstract machine regardless of the complexity. It may be hard to grasp for your average user, but with your background it should be pretty clear.

If you have a background in computer architecture, you have likely done work in this area, so I am sure you know what I am talking about, so I think you might be stuck on the idea of usable emulation. Please understand that I am not talking about useable emulation (i.e. emulation that works at a speed thats close to, or exceeds the original). A host machine has to be much more capable than the guest machine to approach useable speeds. I expect that this is where the majority of the questions on forums like these come from, and so it might be the default frame of mind for your answers, but I don’t actually care about performance. I have tried to be clear about that. 1 FPS is acceptable for my testing purposes.

I’m also going to let you know that it’s entirely possible to build what you want to do. I should know. I’ve built just this machine last week. Complete with all working emulators together in an integrated front-end. However, the best software packager to use for this with minimal fuss is probably going to be retropie x64 on the linux side of the house. I’ve done it and it is super easy to install all of the emulators and get the front-end configured how you want. However, it’s still retropie. That has its own headaches. Linux driver support for GPUs isn’t there either.

On the Windows side, the most pain free way to do it would be to use Launchbox/Big Box. It scans your roms and Isos, gets three screenshots, box art and metadata and even will download the emulators for the Rom set you scanned. You can even integrate Retroarch behind the front-end if you wish (I did it this way). However you will have to set the settings for the emulators yourself. For something along the lines of what you want, launchbox + Retroarch + pcsx2 = ideal machine. To power something like this, think gaming pc. I’m using an alienware alpha i3 edition. You can score one cheap off Craigs list.