What core should be ported next(June 16 2017)

We already have Reicast and Redream

Ah I must have missed that. Thanks for the reply!

Iā€™d really like to see an open-source FM Towns emulator in general. The only half-decent emulators for the system are Unz (which is closed-source and Windows-only), and MESS (which is fairly complicated and slow since itā€™s low-level).

Me too Not sure if that could happen

m64p.

https://m64p.github.io/

Itā€™s a ā€œplug and playā€ pre-configured setup of Mupen64+GlideN64 (with Angrylion as a second plugin in case you want that). Itā€™s the most compatible N64 emulation setup there is and it also gets updated regularly with fresh GlideN64 fixes.

The Mupen core that exists in RetroArch now is outdated and most of the major fixes GlideN64 introduced the last couple of years are missing.

FM Towns would be very nice to have, and also a NEC PC-8801 core.

Really hope we get traction, this needs to happen lol.

Is there an open source FM Towns emulator out there?

Would you be interested in porting BlastEM? Its the most accurate Genesis emulator.

https://www.retrodev.com/blastem/

yes, blastem is amazing. Clobber started a port a number of years ago, but I think the upstream codebase has changed enough to make it unusable as a basis for a new port.

Something I havenā€™t looked into is whether the dynarecs it uses are PIC-compliant. If not, that would make it incompatible with us altogether.

Hmm interesting. I have found the port but as you say its and old version but there is ver 0.5.1 at Libretro/mirrors I think its only base blastem though.

I think I may have a little look into this.

1 Like

What do you guys think about Hydra Castle Labyrinth?

Not sure if the requirements of xash3d can be met by libretro, but a half life engine in libretro would be pretty cool:

1 Like

A core I would like to see come to Retroarch is OpenBOR

1 Like

OpenBOR and Xash3D would be nice, but Iā€™d like to see some cores for Gen 1 / Gen 2 consoles, or support to run them through MAME/MESS cores.

like @anon24419061 said, all of the working mame emulated consoles work with the core, there is a few threads already that go into detail how to get it running.

Iā€™m searching for those by searching for old console names like Emerson Arcadia and Channel F and not finding the threads. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

There is two ways into it:

firstly setup mame inside your system dir. thus /system/mame/ (especially the hash and rom dir)

1. then the easiest these days, just load the software-list file from RA (using the mame core) and then it should run, there is corner cases where this wonā€™t work)

2. this takes a bit more effort but works for non-sofware-list roms and those corner cases that donā€™t load with the first method. first create a file with the cmd extensio, then in the new file you need to put the command-line in as if your using the stand-alone EG: fmtowns -cdrom ā€œ/Games/Romz/Fujitsu/fmtowns/CHD/pop_new.chdā€ -rp /Games/retroarch/mame/roms . then you load the cmd file with mame and it should run it

Iā€™m brand new to RA. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by loading from software-list file within RA. I intend to use EmulationStation as a front-end. Do you mean the big drop-down lists in the XMB interface in RA? It doesnā€™t pick up the Emerson Arcadia roms in its list, so I canā€™t load from there.

Iā€™ve got a Windows RetroCake build. I downloaded stand-alone MAME to grab all the hash files.

D:\RetroCake\RetroArch\system\mame\hash

But my roms for all my systems are in D:\RetroCake\Roms\ which works for launching all the other RA cores. Do I need to more MAME roms specifically into \system\mame\roms?

So far Iā€™ve been trying this:

D:\RetroCake\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L D:\RetroCake\RetroArch\cores\mame_libretro.dll arcadia -cart ā€œD:\RetroCake\ROMS\arcadia\3d soccer (e).zipā€

RA window briefly pops up with that, but then immediately closes. So now Iā€™m realizing the problem may be in how I named those roms. So I take a look at the arcadia.xml hash and it looks like MAME is expecting a name of 3dsoccer.bin so I extract the rom, and load it with that name.

Now I can show MAME actually loading the rom, but it closes automatically about two seconds later.

I donā€™t know what your -rp switch does in your example. I wish there was some documentation on the switches for the MAME core.

you do have the bios roms for the systems in your rom dir? the -rp is telling mame where t get the roms from.

the software lists is itā€™s essentially lists of known software dumps for systems that donā€™t have fixed software. Arcade games were essentially sealed systems, sold and operated in a number of fixed configurations. MAME has internal ROM definitions for these kinds of systems.

Home consoles, computers, etc. generally allowed the user to load software one way or another. Software lists document software available for these kinds of systems. NES cartridges, IBM PC disks, PlayStation CDs, HP option ROMs, and many other thing fall into this category. (stolen from here )

try loading retroarch from the command-line using retroarch --verbose -L D:\RetroCake\RetroArch\cores\mame_libretro.dll arcadia -cart ā€œD:\RetroCake\ROMS\arcadia\3d soccer (e).zipā€ and paste the output to pastebin