What do the names of the shaders mean? and some missing gl shaders

aperture, caligari, hyllian, lottes, royale, etc. Are they proper names or are they referring to some technology? For example, the crt-yo6-KY-M1420B is a weird name, and it looks very attractive with 2d games on a CRT monitor.

With the gl controller, you could choose a category “cgp” and there were two of my favorite shaders. 2xbr-jinc2-sharper-hybrid.cgp which made 2d games look great, especially Snes pastel colors. crt.royale-kurozumi, this one is very sharp, I haven’t seen anything similar on the new ones. How can you pass these to slang shaders?

They’re named whatever the author named them. Often, it’s the author’s name (caligari, hyllian, lottes) but other times it refers to a specific technology (aperture refers to the aperture grille phosphor mask tech) and others are just something the author made up (royale is an in-joke, for example). Crt-yo6-KY-M1420B, though, does refer to a specific display model that the author used as a reference for the shader.

The equivalent of the “cgp” directory is named “presets” in glsl/slang. It doesn’t include all of the ones from the cgp directory but, for example, crt-royale-kurozumi is in there.

2 Likes

I see, aperture, slot mask, shadow mask. I could not find the display, which screen does it refer to?

Thanks a lot! There were the shaders, although it seems to me that the crt-royale-kurozumi is not that sharp.

I want to try to replicate some shaders but I suspect that just replicating the shader passes will not succeed. Do you have a manual for dummies?

I’m not sure I understand the question. If you mean the crt-yo6-KY-M1320B shader, it’s based on this display that was apparently pretty common in Europe: https://servicemanuals.us/sony/tv/kv-m1420b.html

Indeed, just doing the passes is not always enough. If you look at a preset, you’ll see a lot of additional metadata that tells RetroArch how to render the passes, like scale and filter, as well as paths to any textures that are referenced inside the shader files. Many shaders either won’t look right or won’t load at all without this metadata.

There is no real guide, unfortunately, other than the shader spec itself, which is in the README of the slang repo. However, it’s pretty easy to just get in there and poke around to get started. Try checking out some presets and get a feel for how they work and then copy/paste stuff around.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the question… it’s based on this display

Exactly. Yes, it was very common here too.

That’s what I’m going to do, although nothing too pro. Simple things with cartoon style, like the xbr-dilaton-snart-blur-4xsoft in 8bit looks tremendous.

1 Like

Considering the crt-yo6-KY-M1320B shader, can I ask a question. It’s a really nice shader but when a game switches to 480i it doesn’t handle it properly. Is there a way to fix that?

not without modifying the shader itself.

1 Like

It fails in other resolutions, mainly in 3d. the crt-frutbunn shader is similar, it may work fine in some cases.

Is it a bot?
or did they hack the system?
Maybe it’s someone with a lot of time on his hands?

or?

I was cloned!! :scream:

Ah, yeah, profile spam. Thanks for the heads-up. They’ve started parroting other posts because it appears to be on-topic and not clearly spam. I even manually approved this one’s posts because they looked real…

Anyway, gone now.

1 Like

I imagined it, it seemed funny. Thanks!