What Hardware Do You Lakka On (Ver. 3.0)

Been a long time coming since I provided an update, but life tends to get in the way.

Turns out that with rising consoles, come rising requirements so along with my entry into PC gaming, I managed to get my hands on some hardware, and in doing so, cobbled togther a unit almost entirely out of free parts to make a Lakka unit (I owe this team and the Batocera team a debt of gratitude for enabling me to retro game without going broke in the process).

So last time I mentioned this, I was using a Gigabyte Brix which just consisted in an Intel i3 6th gen chip with integrated graphics. Could do what I wanted back then with ease, and even a bit of Gamecube/Wii and 3DS (I beata Metroid: Samus Returns on that box!).

Now? Yeah, gaming PC hardware makes emulation SO much more easier to emulate more powerful hardware. So n ow, as I just completed testing on it, here’s the rundown on the specs:

• Ryzen 3 2200G (clocked @ 3.8 GHz)
  • 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz Crucial Ballistix RAM
  • Gigabyte RX 570 4GB
  • Gigabyte AB350N Gaming-AC
  • 1TB WD SN750 SE (boot + ROMs) + 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (more ROMs) SATA + 1TB HGST 7200RPM 2.5" (even more ROMs) SATA (I preloaded the SATA drives before installing them inside the PC with a SATA to USB 3.0 cable.
  • Integra 450W 80+ Bronze PSU
  • Fractal Design Node 202 Case.

So yup, it even looks like a console on the outside, but it’s got pure gaming PC insides and retro gaming goodness throughout. PS2 emulation is not a problem, and cuts right through everything I’ve chucked at it, with some exceptions (compatibility problems discovered that are compatible with the PCSX2 emulator, like Twisted Metal Black, for example). God of War II with the PCSX2 core runs @ 60FPS upscaled to 1080p. The Play! core is not all that great, but can be used for some games. I use it to test compatibility for PS2 emulation before tweaking the PCSX2 core to get it to run. 3DS, Gamecube and Wii run wihtout any problems.

So what do you Lakka on?

Edit: User error on my part, I screwed up on the ISO creation when I unzipped myfile on TM: Black, it works when I redid it and it’ 60FPS and smooth as butter, now to shove some missiles up Sweet Tooth’s @$$.

1 Like

My main retro gaming device is my Raspberry Pi 3B. Still having a ton of fun with it!

1 Like

Love the handhelds (RG351V is great), but my RPI4 is nice for most and for the tougher to run stuff, the i7-1165G7 w/96EU Xe

ASRock 1135G7. Still struggling with Bluetooth and sound over HDMI -.-

Did some research, the NUC Box doesn’t come with Bluetooth out of the box, so what Bluetooth module are you using? USB? E-Key? Also, sound over HDMI? What port are you using for HDMI? The sound issue is relatively easy to fix. Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI? USB-C? Not enough information.

Update: So I’m building a unit for my daughter, and decided to use my RX 570 in her build, and in doing so, left the 2200G on its own. So now, it’s stripped down and rebuilt into a different unit altogether, and smaller, more compact, and dare I say, better looking!

CPU/GPU: Ryzen 3 2200G with Vega 8 Graphics CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler RAM: T-Force 3200MHZ 16GB DDR4 RAM SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 (still storing PS2 games on it) HDDs: 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD + 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD (housing the Gamecube, Wii and rest of the games). Case/PSU: InWin B1 Transparent Black Glass Case w/ 200W 80 Gold PSU

Little did I know that’s all I needed to run most PS2 games @ 60FPS so far. This time, no tweaks necessary. It’s a smooth, nice little unit, and evokes the kind of gaming memories I wanted to from the past.

Yup, another hardware change. I can’t leave well enough alone sometimes, but in this case, it’s for good reason.

• New Upgraded Lakka PC build
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
  • CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • GPU: Radeon RX 590
  • RAM: T-Force 3200MHZ 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 (still storing PS2 games on it)
  • HDDs: 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD + 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD (housing the Gamecube, Wii and rest of the games).
  • Case/PSU: InWin B1 Transparent Black Glass Case w/ 200W 80 Gold PSU

Now off to play some old games on this bad boy. :slight_smile:

Got a sweet beelink ser6 pro with a 7735hs with the 680m igpu, it’s really kicking butt, I need to try this nightly on my ryzen 7900x 3080 combo

I can tell you this from experience, Nvidia doesn’t play nice with most Linux builds. Your 3080 is not going to work as well as you think. AMD and Intel are open source with their drivers for graphics and computing, so that’s why your BeeLink works so well.