What is scanlines-rere.slang? good for emulate CRT TV in VGA monitor?

What is the purpose/use of this shader?

Can i use this with a vga monitor?

I am looking to emulate a bit the image of a crt TV and notice that with the scanlines-rere.slang shader, a resolution of 1280x960 and integral scalar, I obtain good results. At least I like more than using 240p and native scanlines.

What can you tell me about it or what do you recommend for what I’m looking for?

I don’t recall anything specific about that shader for this purpose, but if it looks good to you, use it!

Personally, I always used my monitor at 480p with the interlacing shader running at 2x integer scale (much easier to setup than “real” 240p, and it actually respects interlaced modes properly). Other folks prefer using full-fat CRT shaders, like guest’s, with the mask disabled. This is a great option as long as your monitor can push enough resolution to be worthwhile (e.g., scanlines look much better at 1600x1200 than at 1024x768).

You can probably use all the scanline shaders on a CRT VGA monitor, but it may require some tweaking depending on the setup (like the CRT resolution). With scanlines-rere it looks like there’s linear filtering applied by default which I don’t like, but I currently only have LCDs to test. When I had a CRT monitor, I had an extra sharpness setting in the monitor controls itself.

In Retroarch you can use e.g. the TV-Out shader for regulating sharpness (resolution parameter) and either use the TV-Out interlacing preset or just use TV-Out and attach a scanline shader of your choice.

1 Like