What's will Lakka 3.0 release plan looks like

Just wondering, What’s will Lakka 3.0 release plan looks like?

Will there be some Alpha, Beta, and RC prior to stable release?

You’ll be lucky to get a final release by the end of the year. The release schedule has never been this bad. Last final was on 2020-01-22 for those keeping score.

I don’t mind if the release come later. Given the big upgrade to libreELCE 9.x as the base of the system, which seems like a plain to work with. And the recent RetroArch Hack. What I care is when to help out with testing.

As I would like to help with testing so, the final release wouldn’t have major issues such as released with not working core, or having core that’s no longer supported. But I don’t have all day, so I can’t keep doing testing on every nightly build as they comes out. If the Lakka 3.0 would have Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1, RC2 like release cycle. I can better manage my time for testing. But if Lakka 3.0 will just released as final, then… it would be good to know when it will be out, so I can at least do some testing prior.

In fact, in my humble option, I think each pre-release should have a specific debugging / testing focus. And putting the most critical functions up-front for testing.

For example, Beta 1 can be focusing on testing all the cores, and make sure they are can launch and function properly under Lakka in all first class platform. And Beta 2 can be focusing on the RetroArch interfaces, and its sub-components. And RC1 and 2 can be more general and some secondary sub-components like controller mapping pre-config, and etc. But of course that doesn’t mean people can’t report other bugs they found along the way, it is just something to focus on each pre-release phase.

I don’t know how the development process works in Lakka, and of course this is something up to the developers, and their prefers. But giving end user a clear directions on what need to be tested might help people dig deeper to a specific area of the project. I do think Lakka is fantastic project. But from time to time, it has a lot of rough edge. like a major core simply wouldn’t launch, released with cores that have a major bugs, that greatly effected the gaming experience, or released with cores that’s no longer supported by the developer on certain platforms. In most case, they are pretty obvious bugs that don’t take long to discover. And all of these can be avoided with better testing.

I don’t know, just try to think of ways to help make the project better.

1 Like