Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Same thing happens if I set the TV type to 50Hz aswell.

hunterk: NTSC Wii run on a PAL Multi-Zone SDTV.

I also tried a new installation.

• Copied all files to sd:/apps/retroarch-wii
  • Deleted sd:/retroarch

After selecting the app from HBC, there is a new sd:/retroarch with these folders:

• playlists,
  • savefiles,
  • system (all empty).

The following files exist:

• content_history.lpl
  • fb_alpha_cps1_libretro_wii.dol.cfg
  • retroarch.cfg

Edit: Also tried 2015-11-15 on my PAL Wii with another multizone SDTV: same result.

I tried fba-cps2 and genplusgx on a PVM via component/YPbPr with no issues. Can you guys try one of those cores and see if it treats you any better?

• Cannot get RA-Wii to start, so not able to try any core.
  • I tried with composite & component cables on PAL and NTSC Wii: results in BSOD.

Tried latest RA nightly, same black screen. I tried to compile mgba with latest 1.3.0 frontend, same problem. Reverted to a commit where Wii version was bumped up to 1.3.0, everything works fine.

I can confirm: no core from the 15/16-Nov builds is working on my Wii (NTSC). Tried with the stable 1.2.2.0 boot.dol, and even the new boot.dol. If i use the boot.dol with the stable release cores, and even some past nightlies (up to 2015-10-29 which is the last one i tested), it works.

It works for me.

I reiterate: I CANNOT FIX SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN FOR ME. I donā€™t know what is going wrong, and without the ability to reproduce it, I cannot fix it either.

I got into touch with ToadKing today and I think we got the issue fixed. Please try the next nightly and see if things work fine now. Start with a clean slate if in doubt.

I tried compiling master and it worked fine for me. Was still able to corrupt the video however (video set to 512x224, bilinear filter off, deflicker off, loaded a couple of unzipped .smc files, then loaded Seiken Densetsu 3 from a zip file and it corrupted right away).

I think after more people confirm that the nightlies are fixed again, itā€™s time to totally revamp how video modes get set on the Wii. Maybe take a page from some of the other standalone Wii emulators and see what they do instaed and if users would like that better.

I can also confirm the 2015-11-17 does now start up for me on my PAL Wii. The default startup CPS1 core worked fine, no issues at all when setting 384x224 video and opening and closing content. I was able to recreate video corruption with the larger FBA core though:

• load FBA core
  • set video to 512 x 224, disable flicker and bilinear
  • load bublcave
  • play for a short while
  • close content
  • load rbisland

As regards revamping video modes, it sounds worthy of exploring. If you look at WiiMednafen or Genesis Plus GX, they have an ā€˜originalā€™ video mode which turns off interlacing and sets the consoles native 240/224p modes. To me, those modes look perfect. So maybe that kind of handling is appropriate for RA console cores where having all that additional resolutions choice is a bit redundant. For the arcade cores (my biggest attraction to, and admiration for, RA on Wii) I really love having that powerful ability to set those custom matching modesā€¦ (e.g. 384x224 for Capcom, 608x224 for NeoGeo) I know there are some problems with some implementations of how these video modes work. But on behalf of myself and those who I advocate RA to, I truly do hope the great work continues. The FBA cores on Wii are, as far as I know, the only console based emulators that can do arcade perfect low res modes like this (RGB+CRT).

2015-11-17 also working here! Thanks.

Nightlies working here as well. Thanks for fixing.

Awesome. Glad to hear it, guys :slight_smile:

I confirm that the latest version works, however, save states in snes9x next core has a problem and occurs a Code dump after the try to load Thanks for fixing!

[QUOTE=eduardo64;31093]I confirm that the latest version works, however, save states in snes9x next core has a problem and occurs a Code dump after the try to load Thanks for fixing![/QUOTE]

Maybe this is with an old save state though.

Yesterday I started up Yoshiā€™s Island, savestated somewhere, then loaded it again and it was fine. The save state format might have changed inbetween versions.

[QUOTE=Twinaphex;31102]Maybe this is with an old save state though.

Yesterday I started up Yoshiā€™s Island, savestated somewhere, then loaded it again and it was fine. The save state format might have changed inbetween versions.[/QUOTE]

I tested with all folder empty and core dump occurs when create the save state.

Tested in 17-11-2015 version of snes9x next core.

Guys, any help with borders/shaders please? The video settings thread appears to be dead by now. Iā€™d like to know if 1.2.2 on Wii (vWii in my case) is able to do something like this: http://retroarchborders.blogspot.pe/ And use the crt-easymode shader? IS that even possible? If not, what would be the next best thing? Thanks in advance.

Shaders donā€™t work and never will. Overlay borders are possible currently but they take some aspect ratio trickery that seems more complicated than itā€™s worth. Wii can use effect overlays, though, to do scanlines and a nice gameboy effect, among others. Those are available in the ā€˜wiiā€™ subdirectory of the main overlay directory.

Hi hunterk, thanks for replying. Could you elaborate on that ā€œAR trickeryā€? Iā€™d like to try and get it to work. The basics would suffice. I like to think Iā€™m a quick learner :slight_smile: Thanks again.

PS: Already tried the overlays. scanlines is kinda nice I guess? Shame it isnā€™t capable of using shadersā€¦ Iā€™d like to combine the scanline overlay with some borders. Is that possible? ā€œcobiningā€ overlays?