Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Check this thread for the border stuff: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

You can definitely combine overlays because they’re just plain png images. If you have any skills with Photoshop/GIMP, just take the 2 effects you want and mash them together.

I’ve been wondering for a while if we could create standalone Homebrew Channel entries for specific cores. Since I don’t use more than 4-5 cores from RetroArch Wii, I wanted to ask if such thing is possible. i.e. Renaming snes9x_next.dol to boot.dol, would that boot that specific core each time?

Or do I need to have only snex9x_next.dol and the boot.dol in the same directory in order to accomplish such thing?

[QUOTE=ShadowOne333;31192]I’ve been wondering for a while if we could create standalone Homebrew Channel entries for specific cores. Since I don’t use more than 4-5 cores from RetroArch Wii, I wanted to ask if such thing is possible.[/QUOTE]

It’s possible. But not as simple as you stated, in theory you could do that but per core settings would not work, it would look for the same settings each time because retroarch.cfg is not getting updated. If this does not matter to you then great, if it does you will have to compile retroarch+core to look for a differently named retroarch.cfg. Once that’s done you can toss it into a sub folder with your other cores. Then download the source of a forwarder(this is the one I use) and edit the source to look for your new core, and simply name it boot.dol for hbc to load. You may be able to achieve this without the forwarder but I can’t confirm it, I prefer the forwarder because I can use arguments to quick boot games as in the video.

EDIT: Was thinking too hard about it, obviously once it reads the new retroarch.cfg that’s all you need. So you can pull this off with just simple hex editing.

[QUOTE=hunterk;31181]Check this thread for the border stuff: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

You can definitely combine overlays because they’re just plain png images. If you have any skills with Photoshop/GIMP, just take the 2 effects you want and mash them together.[/QUOTE] Thank you. That’ll do.

Superrsonic, I’ve noticed by reading some of your posts that you seem to know your way around resolutions and aspect ratios of retro consoles. Perhaps you could give me a hand with some of the options of retroarch which are not self explanatory by any means, for instance what does “set VI width” do? I have it set to 720 cause otherwise my screen isn’t filled completely by the image. Also, even on 4:3, consoles like SNES or NES don’t look “right” to me. They appear too square… what would be the recommended aspect ratio? What I’m doing at the moment is setting VI width to 720, “refreshing” the screen by pressing A over the "monitor selector (or something along those lines) option, and THEN setting 4:3 as aspect ratio. Otherwise everything seems to be compressed. Anyway, I’m using a Wiiu in Widescreen mode (obviously) over HDMI connected to a 1080p TV. Could you help me with getting the “appropiate to my eyes” at least aspect ratio for those consoles? VC titles look fine to me if that gives you an idea. Thanks, both of you.

BTW, can anyone tell me if disabling bilinear filtering is the same as ENABLING point filtering? Or is there an option somewhere that I might be missing? And on that note, I assume deflicker is pointless if outputting in progressive mode? right? Thanks.

[QUOTE=sideskroll;31197]Perhaps you could give me a hand with some of the options of retroarch which are not self explanatory by any means, for instance what does “set VI width” do? I have it set to 720 cause otherwise my screen isn’t filled completely by the image. Also, even on 4:3, consoles like SNES or NES don’t look “right” to me. They appear too square… what would be the recommended aspect ratio? What I’m doing at the moment is setting VI width to 720, “refreshing” the screen by pressing A over the "monitor selector (or something along those lines) option, and THEN setting 4:3 as aspect ratio. Otherwise everything seems to be compressed.[/QUOTE] It scales the image up to 720, it was added with the purpose of correcting the PAR for each core. See the optimal video settings thread and check the hypothetical video encoder value. SNES and NES are 644, Virtual Console SNES/NES is 640.

I don’t have a Wii U, and I don’t know how different it may be, if your image is stretched all over the screen and you don’t want that, you will need a way to load retroarch in 4:3 like the VC is doing. A forwarder with the title ID starting with Q or as other VC games should be enough.

It’s the same. At the time the df switch was added, it would not work in progressive. The code went something like if interlaced is being used use df, if not then do nothing, the switch makes it look on the cfg first to decide, but still has no effect on progressive mode. I haven’t been keeping up with retroarch, so I don’t know if they changed that.

How can I change settings in CPS1/2 Cores, like dip switches? I can’t find how.

While in-game, go to the RGUI -> Core Options -> Diagnostics -> Enabled/Disabled and exit the RGUI. You should be at the service menu then.

OK, read it on its entirety. Tried the recommended the settings and I must say that SNES looks very nice actually. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about NES or GBA. NES looks too square (from what I remember at least, back in the day) and GBA simply does not save the custom ratio. I’m using mGBA if that makes any difference… And chose the “fat looking” version of the settings. Could you confirm if that’s an issue on my part only or if you’re getting the same results?

Already edited my forwarder to make it launch in 4:3.

So just t be sure: Bilinear filtering OFF=Point Filtering, correct?

2 last requests before I get out of your hair: 1- Do you have any recommendations for the genesis emu on retroarch? I know the guy that gave the settings recommended people to use the standalone emu and everything, but I’d rather not. 2- Could you take a look at this image and confirm if my settings are correct? I’m asking cause the guy said that on some games the resolution wasn’t working correctly or something and gave a different setting. What I did there was basically turn off deflicker and Bilinear filtering, set the resolution to 512x448, set aspect ratio to custom and VI width to 644. Is that it?

Thanks for all your help.

PS: What are “force aspect ratio” and “auto aspect ratio” for?

[QUOTE=sideskroll;31228]NES looks too square (from what I remember at least, back in the day) and GBA simply does not save the custom ratio. I’m using mGBA if that makes any difference… And chose the “fat looking” version of the settings. Could you confirm if that’s an issue on my part only or if you’re getting the same results?[/QUOTE] NES cores should use mostly the same settings as SNES, if it looks different from the VC, the only thing I can think of is crop overscan is enabled. Should look identical otherwise.

It has been months since I tried the latest retroarch, saving custom ratio was broken back then so I guess they never fixed it, too bad. Would recommend you try Enhanced mGBA, it has anti-aliasing, looks godly and is actually faster than the libretro core go figure.

[QUOTE=sideskroll;31228]1- Do you have any recommendations for the genesis emu on retroarch? 2- Could you take a look at this image and confirm if my settings are correct? I’m asking cause the guy said that on some games the resolution wasn’t working correctly or something and gave a different setting.[/QUOTE]

1. If you absolutely must use the libretro port, you don’t have much choice other than sticking with one of the multiple video modes the Genesis puts out, so go for the highest resolution. Sonic Mega Collection does this, Virtual Console changes automatically as needed. If it helps, TurboGrafx VC doesn’t care for this, it’s always 640x480.
  2. It’s fine. The other setting is for rare SNES games that use a different height.

See here. The purpose of those functions are not used in console ports as far as I know, they may have an effect but it’s not something you can’t already do with the other settings. If there is an advantage to them I would sure like to know.

In 1.3.0? I only see controller and clocking.

Oh right, they must have changed it in later builds. That’s how it works in 1.0.0.2 and I’m sticking with that version.

Hey SuperrSonic, I’ve sent you a PM. Whenever you get the chance, I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;31232]NES cores should use mostly the same settings as SNES, if it looks different from the VC, the only thing I can think of is crop overscan is enabled. Should look identical otherwise.

It has been months since I tried the latest retroarch, saving custom ratio was broken back then so I guess they never fixed it, too bad. Would recommend you try Enhanced mGBA, it has anti-aliasing, looks godly and is actually faster than the libretro core go figure.

1. If you absolutely must use the libretro port, you don’t have much choice other than sticking with one of the multiple video modes the Genesis puts out, so go for the highest resolution. Sonic Mega Collection does this, Virtual Console changes automatically as needed. If it helps, TurboGrafx VC doesn’t care for this, it’s always 640x480.
  2. It’s fine. The other setting is for rare SNES games that use a different height.

See here. The purpose of those functions are not used in console ports as far as I know, they may have an effect but it’s not something you can’t already do with the other settings. If there is an advantage to them I would sure like to know.[/QUOTE] Hey SuperrSonic, I’ve sent you a PM. Whenever you get the chance I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Hi could someone please help me. I am trying to remap the input buttons for retroarch wii. I want to stop the menu toggle action whenever the Home button is pressed and only display rgui when 1 Button is held and B button is pressed. Also I want to exit out of the emulator core from in game by pressing Home Button. I’ve read this is possible on other ports of retroarch by adding these lines to retroarch.cfg or specific core config:-

[I][SIZE=2]input_menu_toggle_btn = “nul” (where nul is replaced with specific wii input value) input_exit_emulator_btn = “nul”

[/I][/SIZE]I have tried using these with different values set instead of nul but it still displays rgui when home button is pressed and will only exit the emulator core when exit is selected from the menu. Am I wasting my time is this even possible on the wii build?[I][SIZE=2]

[/I][/SIZE]

You just need to search a little more in RGUI you can set that keys in Input

Did anyone ever got NES cheats to work properly? I am running the latest nightly. I’ve tried switching cores, AR/GG .CHT files etc. etc., but i never got it to work. Thx :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sionisaac;31405]Hi could someone please help me. I am trying to remap the input buttons for retroarch wii. I want to stop the menu toggle action whenever the Home button is pressed and only display rgui when 1 Button is held and B button is pressed. Also I want to exit out of the emulator core from in game by pressing Home Button. I’ve read this is possible on other ports of retroarch by adding these lines to retroarch.cfg or specific core config:-

[I][SIZE=2]input_menu_toggle_btn = “nul” (where nul is replaced with specific wii input value) input_exit_emulator_btn = “nul”

[/I][/SIZE]I have tried using these with different values set instead of nul but it still displays rgui when home button is pressed and will only exit the emulator core when exit is selected from the menu. Am I wasting my time is this even possible on the wii build?[I][SIZE=2]

[/I][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I sorted this problem by installing the latest build and entered custom hotkeys, but now I have an even more annoying problem. The updated version does not work with per core settings so all cores are using the same retroarch.cfg and therefore every core has exactly the same video settings and resolutions and if set an overlay for gameboy im stuck using the same overlay in every other core. Ive tried launching with wiiflow and postloader to send command line parameters to use a different config file but it still wont allow me different settings in each core. I know other people have this working so either I’m very dumb or are those people using an older version in which it worked?

Hey guys, could you add UStealth support for Wii U users?

Replacing by this libfat library

UStealth hides HDD from Wii U OS to avoid getting the format messages upon boot. More info:

I see an issue in the GC controllers that is caused when the game get out of sync (like when you make a fast forward)… it have been always there but I’m not sure if this is the called “sticky button bug” or not… if not could you please explain the “sticky button” issue please? I want to give it a try to see if I can find the root of it.

BTW, the nightly is not working now, I tested it on 12/05 and it simply stays on the menu like if the controllers were disconnected, I have to reset the Wii. Today’s nightly is still not working… I had to take the oldest nightly in the downloads to have a usable version.

Oof, broken again, eh? Alright, we’ll look into it.

As for the sticky button thing, what happens is a button acts like it’s still being held even though you let go of it. So, this might make you run into a hole instead of stopping at the edge, or make do a long jump instead of a short hop or charge a shot in MMX instead of shooting rapidly, etc.

Much appreciation for even taking a look. It’s been hard to find help on the issue, so just having additional eyeballs on it is very welcome. :slight_smile: