Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

[QUOTE=hunterk;32049]Oof, broken again, eh? Alright, we’ll look into it.

As for the sticky button thing, what happens is a button acts like it’s still being held even though you let go of it. So, this might make you run into a hole instead of stopping at the edge, or make do a long jump instead of a short hop or charge a shot in MMX instead of shooting rapidly, etc.

Much appreciation for even taking a look. It’s been hard to find help on the issue, so just having additional eyeballs on it is very welcome. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh ok and does it happens for all kind of controllers? I mean Wiimote, Classic Controller, GC controller or just certain type? Cause I mostly use the GC controllers and I have not run into this issue yet… just the one I pointed out in the previous post.

Also I think I know what could be causing the orange homebrew channel issue when using resolution saving, however in the last working nightly I picked it is not getting saved… does the feature got removed?

all wii nightlies after 3 december are broken my gamecube pad and wiimote are not recognize im forcing to force power on a wii

@netux79 I think it hits all controllers…? I’ve never actually run into it, myself, though, so I can’t speak from experience.

I’m not sure if the feature was intentionally removed or just broken. Either possibility is suboptimal, to say the least.

I know Twinaphex doesn’t like the idea, but we might want to consider making a community fork of 1.0.0.2 with backports of the few features that people actually use from the newer releases, since the vast majority of advances since then don’t even apply to Wii.

Yeah, that’s good news. Debugging was basically a shot in the dark before.

Sounds great for me… I actually made a fork of 1.0.0.2 for myself for the same reason… good news with the debugging…

latest build always freeze please fix

[QUOTE=hunterk;32090]@netux79 I think it hits all controllers…? I’ve never actually run into it, myself, though, so I can’t speak from experience.

I’m not sure if the feature was intentionally removed or just broken. Either possibility is suboptimal, to say the least.

I know Twinaphex doesn’t like the idea, but we might want to consider making a community fork of 1.0.0.2 with backports of the few features that people actually use from the newer releases, since the vast majority of advances since then don’t even apply to Wii.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. I obviously would like to use 1.2., but aside from a few nice features (resolution saving), 1.0.0.2 is just more stable and works pretty much perfectly aside from the sticking bug. I make it a habit of doing some quick bug tests when a new stable comes out, but they’re usually the same issues cropping up.

Have experienced the sticking bug? I have tested many RA versions and have never face it… I have also used many different controllers… so maybe you can help to track it… could you explain exactly your setup?

Are you using a CRT TV or a flat one? Using a Wii or Wii U? Which controller is the problematic? wiimotes, classic, GC pad? Is this happening with all cores or one in specific? Using 240p (double stricke resolution) or standard 640x480? using vsync or not? your TV is running at 60hz or 120hz? etc… any input will help… thanks!

[QUOTE=netux79;32250]Have experienced the sticking bug? I have tested many RA versions and have never face it… I have also used many different controllers… so maybe you can help to track it… could you explain exactly your setup?

Are you using a CRT TV or a flat one? Using a Wii or Wii U? Which controller is the problematic? wiimotes, classic, GC pad? Is this happening with all cores or one in specific? Using 240p (double stricke resolution) or standard 640x480? using vsync or not? your TV is running at 60hz or 120hz? etc… any input will help… thanks![/QUOTE]

I’m actually not using Retroarch too much these days in general (I’ve collected most of the physical cartridges I want at this point), but I’ve experienced the bug a few time. It felt like it was happening less by the time 1.0.0.2 was released. I use a HDTV, Wii, and classic controller pro, though I’ve heard it happens with any controller. I know it happens snes9x but I can’t comment on the other ones since I use SNES 9X 99% of the time. I’ve used it double strike and 480p with the same issue. Vsync, yes. 60Hz.

Ok, I have tried that configuration in the past except for the HDTV. I have always used a CRT and it have worked fine. My thoughts are that the HDTV generates some lag while displaying because all the steps it needs to display a visually “decent” image… it may help to disable from the TV all the filtering and see if it still happens.

Two more questions for you… does it happens while in-game or also in the menu? How do you connect the Wii to the HDTV… using component or composite cables?

I can confirm the sticking bug on a CRT, running double strike with a classic controller. The frequency seems completely random. I’m pretty sure I’ve only noticed it on the snes9x-next core, but that’s pretty much the only one I use.

Which game? So I can check if it is something related to the core and not RA when processing something heavy.

It seems to occur in everything, but is most noticeable in action games. I can definitely cause it to active in the opening area of Megaman X, by just walking left and right quickly. Eventually you’ll notice that you’ll continue traveling in the same direction for a few milliseconds, even though you should have changed direction.

I’m curious if anyone is familiar with how the compiler would optimize the controller code. It looks like it gets a pointer to a variable holding the button pressed flags, and is continually dereferencing that pointer to check which flags are set. Every time it checks the flags, it uses a tertiary operator, which seems to cause a useless binary OR with zero when a particular button wasn’t pressed. It’s also then doing a whole bunch of bitshifts when a button is actually pressed (up to 64 of them).

But it’s likely the compiler preruns those bitshifts, ignores the useless else in the tertiary operator, and caches the pointer to the controller flags. Would it be worth manually optimizing this to test?

[QUOTE=ioev;32390]It seems to occur in everything, but is most noticeable in action games. I can definitely cause it to active in the opening area of Megaman X, by just walking left and right quickly. Eventually you’ll notice that you’ll continue traveling in the same direction for a few milliseconds, even though you should have changed direction.

I’m curious if anyone is familiar with how the compiler would optimize the controller code. It looks like it gets a pointer to a variable holding the button pressed flags, and is continually dereferencing that pointer to check which flags are set. Every time it checks the flags, it uses a tertiary operator, which seems to cause a useless binary OR with zero when a particular button wasn’t pressed. It’s also then doing a whole bunch of bitshifts when a button is actually pressed (up to 64 of them).

But it’s likely the compiler preruns those bitshifts, ignores the useless else in the tertiary operator, and caches the pointer to the controller flags. Would it be worth manually optimizing this to test?[/QUOTE]

This must be the longest running bug in RA Wii. Hopefully this can be picked up and fixed once and for all!

The question though, is is it even feasible to fix?

I assume it must be. As far as I know, all Wii homebrew is compiled with the same libraries (lib-ogc) that Retroarch-wii uses (this includes snes9x-gx and genplusgx) and I have yet to experience this issue in anything other than Retroarch.

how to fix controllers on latest nightlies ?my wiimote and gamecube pad do not respond

hi there, it was fixed some days ago… could you please confirm it is working for you?

I can confirm that the gamecube controller works on the latest nightly.

There’s a problem though: When you exit retroarch, it gives you a black screen (instead of going back to the homebrew channel). Also, the “restart content” option under quick menu does not work.

[QUOTE=justjack;33177]I can confirm that the gamecube controller works on the latest nightly.

There’s a problem though: When you exit retroarch, it gives you a black screen (instead of going back to the homebrew channel). Also, the “restart content” option under quick menu does not work.[/QUOTE]

I second this issue. After exit retroarch or restart content the screen goes black and there’s no response at all, a hard reset is needed. Latest nightly and latest commit tested.