Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

Resolution saving isn’t working … :frowning:

Resolution saving as far as I know was removed. Will be added again once the issues it brings are resolved.

Hey, resolution saving is working well in the latest nightly. Also the program doesn’t seem to crash when changing between various games. Great work.

hello, I really dont know where else to ask, I did notice that catsfc-plus works really well on gamecube and can run games such as super metroid and yoshis island very nicely, it would be great if a build of it could be included in the nightlys and even in the stable releases because it seems to be by far the fastest snes emulator for the gamecube.

Isn’t catsfc already based on snes9x and mainly for DS/3DS as software than runs on the DSTWO card? Never knew it was ported to GameCube, interested in exploring this for sure.

Tested the plus version for Wii just in case but I couldn’t spot any benefits, KDL3 is very slow here. There were even hiccups in Super Mario World. Famicom Detective Club however ran with all 239 lines like the VC version, snes9x_next crops it to 224 lines.

Maybe it will simply be good to have more options. I do prefer this in some cases, however I will go with the standard version (not the plus one) because even when the sound is not very good it allows to run some game hacks that are impossible in more accurate emulators. It won’t hurt anyone an extra emulator.

Yes I am seeing res saving working also. But it seems to be saving on a global basis? And not per-core. I think other settings that were per-core, like directory browse, have gone global again. Need to test more but on testing both dir path browse setting and resolution setting, both was being carried across different cores. Tested on FBA cores at least.

Yes I am seeing res saving working also. But it seems to be saving on a global basis? And not per-core. Which is still an improvement. I think other settings that were per-core, like directory browse, have gone global again. Need to test more but on testing both dir path browse setting and resolution setting, both was being carried across different cores. Tested on FBA cores at least.

[QUOTE=dustybits;34846]Hi everyone,

I’m a new Retroarch user and I’m very happy with it on Windows. I’d like to replicate this experience on my Wii, and I have some questions about this version :

• I put retroarch on the SD card where I keep all my homebrew apps, it runs and I can configure it. However, I can’t browse my USB drive to load content. When I try to, Retroarch displays “Directory not found”. Is this normal ? Should I put my content on the SD card ?
  • Is there any way to use the same menu theme found in the Windows version on the Wii version ?

Thanks ![/QUOTE] Hi dustybits. Might seem like an obvious point, but make sure your USB is formatted to FAT32 for RetroArch Wii to use it. Other homebrews might support NTFS for read/write on USB, but RetroArch on Wii does not. As regards the menu theme, the basic one you see on Wii is called ‘RGUI’ and I believe it’s the only GUI available on the Wii version. I hope you enjoy RetroArch on Wii as much as everyone else on here. Good luck!

[QUOTE=beerbarian;34860]Hi dustybits. Might seem like an obvious point, but make sure your USB is formatted to FAT32 for RetroArch Wii to use it. Other homebrews might support NTFS for read/write on USB, but RetroArch on Wii does not. As regards the menu theme, the basic one you see on Wii is called ‘RGUI’ and I believe it’s the only GUI available on the Wii version. I hope you enjoy RetroArch on Wii as much as everyone else on here. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you for your answer! That’s it, my HDD is currently in NTFS. I’ll try FAT32 and give it another go. For the theme it’s not too big a deal, I just got used really quickly to the nice default one on Windows.

Cheers!

[QUOTE=beerbarian;34809]Yes I am seeing res saving working also. But it seems to be saving on a global basis? And not per-core. Which is still an improvement. I think other settings that were per-core, like directory browse, have gone global again. Need to test more but on testing both dir path browse setting and resolution setting, both was being carried across different cores. Tested on FBA cores at least.[/QUOTE]

When I tried it with nestopia and snes9x next, it did save different resolutions for each. I think it was the 02/18 nightly.

Thanks for the improvements in 1.3.0!

Can someone please explain:

• What does the [Start Core] option do?
  • What does the [Cache Dir] option do? Is it used to aid loading of bigger ROMS?

Can someone please confirm:

• Black Tiger (fba): Does stage 3 work? I only see sprites on a black screen (no backgrounds).

‘Start Core’ is for cores that don’t need any content, such as 2048.

‘Cache Dir’ is where compressed ROMs temporarily unzip to (I think; it’s definitely not for virtual memory).

Thanks for clearing that up.

[QUOTE=beerbarian;34859]Settings per core are either broken or changed in latest nightlies. Because I was definitely able to save different dir paths for different cores to browse for content in past versions. And I wrote guides for people on how to set it up for the different FBA cores and the sets of roms that will work for each of those cores. Resolution saving… either global or per core, well there was always some back and forth on success for that. Seems like its moved in a good direction again. We’ll keep testing! :)[/QUOTE]

Same here, it does only change globally not per core

ive just tested the latest nightly 3/3 and on all 4 snes cores there is a problem with the speed / music / graphics stuttering, and it is coming up constantly with a message that it has detected the gamecube controller in port 0

this was not happening on the last stable version i was using, which was 1.1 or 1.2 i cant remember, but the reason i wanted to upgrade is because of the bug which kept resetting the resolution to 640x480 upon starting a game or snes core,

i am just going to test 1.3.0 stable release, and also the first nightly version on the list there 26/02

ive just tested 2016-02-26_RetroArch.7z and that has exactly the same problem, stuttering and going at a very slow framerate and constantly telling you at the bottom “detected gamecube controller in port #0

i am running the emulator and the roms from my sdcard. 2gb, normal not sdhc, what is weird is i tried ejecting the sdcard out during the game and then that cured the problem, so it is something to do with reading or writing to the sdcard, i looked at the settings but all the settings are default, logging is off, and rewind is off, i dont know why it is trying to constantly access the sdcard during the game

ive just tested RetroArch-v1.3.0-Wii.7z and that has the video bug that keeps switching back to 640x480 (for snes cores at least)

but the emulation is perfect, no problem with stuffering or any video/sound/controller bug at all

edit: ive tried running both zip and smc files from sdcard, and also usb stick, and getting stuttering whatever i do, the first time i ran an smc from the usb stick it ran fine, but after no not sure what is going on

the game i was running was kirby super star, it uses enchancement chip sa-1, might be causing the slowdown, as i just tried super mario kart and everything is working fine so far

does anyone know which is the fastest core out of the 4 snes cores now?

on the last stable release 1.3.0 runs kirby super star fine, no slowdown, but now loads of slowdown, almost stops the second or third time you run it, i find it weird

ive realised the bug now, the core keeps automatically reverting to the CATSFC v1.36 core, which cant run kirby super star properly, i dont know why that is happening

i am loading in snes9x 1.53 core, then if i choose an smc file it runs ok, but if you choose a zip file it automatically switches itself to CATSFC v1.36 core, which messes it up

is there a setting so it doesnt force it into CATSFC v1.36 core when you choose a zip file?

also i cant run any zips for nearly anything from a usb memory stick, if i choose a zip file it crashes, and resets back to homebrew channel, uncompressed roms run ok (but that doesnt really work for fba / mame roms as they need to be zipped)

ive tested this with fba, nestopia and quicknes, and they all reset if i run a zip file from the usb stick

ive tested 2 diffrent usb sticks, both of them fat32, 8gb one, and 128gb one, same problem on both

im just going to test 1.2.2 to see if it has this problem

ive just tested 2016-02-26_RetroArch.7z and that has exactly the same problem, stuttering and going at a very slow framerate and constantly telling you at the bottom “detected gamecube controller in port #0

i am running the emulator and the roms from my sdcard. 2gb, normal not sdhc, what is weird is i tried ejecting the sdcard out during the game and then that cured the problem, so it is something to do with reading or writing to the sdcard, i looked at the settings but all the settings are default, logging is off, and rewind is off, i dont know why it is trying to constantly access the sdcard during the game

thank you

ive just tested RetroArch-v1.3.0-Wii.7z and that has the video bug that keeps switching back to 640x480 (for snes cores at least)

but the emulation is perfect, no problem with stuffering or any video/sound/controller bug at all

edit: ive tried running both zip and smc files from sdcard, and also usb stick, and getting stuttering whatever i do, the first time i ran an smc from the usb stick it ran fine, but after no not sure what is going on