Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

the game i was running was kirby super star, it uses enchancement chip sa-1, might be causing the slowdown, as i just tried super mario kart and everything is working fine so far

does anyone know which is the fastest core out of the 4 snes cores now?

on the last stable release 1.3.0 runs kirby super star fine, no slowdown, but now loads of slowdown, almost stops the second or third time you run it, i find it weird

ive realised the bug now, the core keeps automatically reverting to the CATSFC v1.36 core, which cant run kirby super star properly, i dont know why that is happening

i am loading in snes9x 1.53 core, then if i choose an smc file it runs ok, but if you choose a zip file it automatically switches itself to CATSFC v1.36 core, which messes it up

is there a setting so it doesnt force it into CATSFC v1.36 core when you choose a zip file?

also i cant run any zips for nearly anything from a usb memory stick, if i choose a zip file it crashes, and resets back to homebrew channel, uncompressed roms run ok (but that doesnt really work for fba / mame roms as they need to be zipped)

ive tested this with fba, nestopia and quicknes, and they all reset if i run a zip file from the usb stick

ive tested 2 diffrent usb sticks, both of them fat32, 8gb one, and 128gb one, same problem on both

im just going to test 1.2.2 to see if it has this problem

ive realised the bug now, the core keeps automatically reverting to the CATSFC v1.36 core, which cant run kirby super star properly, i dont know why that is happening

i am loading in snes9x 1.53 core, then if i choose an smc file it runs ok, but if you choose a zip file it automatically switches itself to CATSFC v1.36 core, which messes it up

is there a setting so it doesnt force it into CATSFC v1.36 core when you choose a zip file?

thanks

also i cant run any zips for nearly anything from a usb memory stick, if i choose a zip file it crashes, and resets back to homebrew channel, uncompressed roms run ok (but that doesnt really work for fba / mame roms as they need to be zipped)

ive tested this with fba, nestopia and quicknes, and they all reset if i run a zip file from the usb stick

ive tested 2 diffrent usb sticks, both of them fat32, 8gb one, and 128gb one, same problem on both

im just going to test 1.2.2 to see if it has this problem

Uh, did you need to triple post like that? Edit buttonā€™s there for a reason.

ive tested Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius and that stutters and slows down on all 4 cores, none of them will run it smoothly

i dont these new snes cores are any good, they break more than they fix

better would be an update from the old cores just to fix the problem where it switches back to 640x480 involuntarily

thanks

could the option be brought back to use a key combo to get into menu, as now it will only let you select one key, before you could select L R down and Y together

another problem is when you try to bind keys - i was trying to change buttons for sf2, and after it timing out after not selecting anything, it came up with ā€œsearchā€ and no button would get rid of it

just tested nightly 6/3 and fba-neogeo still is resetting after loading zips, tried lots of neogeo zipped roms

please could you add snes9x-1.43 core, because this version of snes9x is much faster, albeit a bit less accurate (not even noticable) it runs nearly everything

try Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, you get slow down and sound stuttering on the ship selection menu on snes9x next (and title screen on snes9x 1.53) but you would not get any slowdown on 1.43

Is there any way to download older nightlies?

The only ones we have stored are on the buildbot. Anything older than that youā€™re on your own.

Damn :confused:

If anyone has nightlies from February, please let me know.

Here are a few issues that I have noticed with RetroArch Wii v1.33:

-Save states for all cores frequently crash the emulator. Iā€™d say about 1 in every 8 save states that you either save or load will crash the emulator. This wasnā€™t an issue in v1.22. This problem started to appear with v1.30. This is by far the biggest bug that has been introduced since v1.22.

-Save states crash SNES9x Next 100% of the time.

-The diagnostic (service) menu is missing in the ā€œCore Optionsā€ for the CPS-2 core.

-Core input options are missing for the CPS-1 and Neo Geo cores.

-The SEGA baseball game ā€œClutch Hitterā€ no longer works in FB Alpha v1.33. The game locks up right as your getting ready to start the actual baseball game. This game worked in v1.22. The text was garbled, but the gameplay was fine.

-The Light Amplification Goggles in PrBoom v1.33 cause a constant flickering effect. This didnā€™t occur in PrBoom v1.22. I always activate the Light Amplification Goggles cheat that I mapped to the Classic Controller with DeHacked when Iā€™m playing PrBoom because the game is so dark. I hope you guys can fix this.

-The ā€œNeon Night Ridersā€ stage in ā€œTMNT: Turtles in Timeā€ is still unplayable in FB Alpha.

-The Mednafen NeoPop core has been completely broken since v1.0.0.2. Iā€™ve read that this is an Endianness issue.

-CD image loading has been completely broken in the Mednafen PCE Fast core since v1.0.0.2.

Keep up the good work RetroArch team. :slight_smile:

Is there any particular reason why RA uses SRM save files instead of the usual SAV? This is something I struggle a lot when switching from other emus to RA, since I have all the other saves in SAV (except SNES) and I have to rename them all to make them work with the RA cores.

Can we have an option to use either SRM or SAV for the SRAM saves? Or maybe just add a line to search for *.srm or *.sav in the savefiles folder and skip the creation of a new save file if one of the two is found.

You can rename them all with a simple command. Open a command prompt (hold shift and right click the background of explorer in your save folder, then click ā€œopen command window hereā€), then type:

ren *.sav *.srm

anyone can make a desmume build ?just for fun

Hi guys! Iā€™m sorry for being a noob in asking this. So, yesterday I installed the latest version of Retroarch on my wii and got a few questions:

1 - Where can I check which cores are ā€œrunnableā€ on my wii? 2 - When I try to run a tzx game, Retroarch tells me that only a few cores are compatible whit that file type, although none are fuseā€¦ How do I play them? 3 - Why is the front end different from my Linux RetroArch?

Thank you and sorry for the ā€œnoobileā€ questions and my bad englishā€¦

Is there a way to like change the brightness/contrast/saturation for GBA games that suffer of oversaturation? I know thereā€™s a gamma option but that only goes from normal (0) to brighter and brightest (1 & 2), but AFAIK thereā€™s no way to make the image darker, or did I simply miss the option? :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™d recommend having two lower settings for gamma, like -1/-2 or starting at 0 for darkest, 2 for normal and 4 for birghtest.

[QUOTE=camurso_;38733]Hi guys! Iā€™m sorry for being a noob in asking this. So, yesterday I installed the latest version of Retroarch on my wii and got a few questions:

1 - Where can I check which cores are ā€œrunnableā€ on my wii? 2 - When I try to run a tzx game, Retroarch tells me that only a few cores are compatible whit that file type, although none are fuseā€¦ How do I play them? 3 - Why is the front end different from my Linux RetroArch?

Thank you and sorry for the ā€œnoobileā€ questions and my bad englishā€¦[/QUOTE]

All runnable cores are already included in the build. They are not separate like other versions as this is a console version. I think fuse is not available for Wii, you will need to use another Retroarch version It is different as the Wii canā€™t handle openGL so the XMB menu is not available and we have to stay with the RGUI menu which is very simple, but it works fine.

[QUOTE=ShadowOne333;38973]Is there a wat to like change the brightness/contrast/saturation for GBA games that suffer of oversaturation? I know thereā€™s a gamma option but that only goes from normal (0) to brighter and brightest (1 & 2), but AFAIK thereā€™s no way to make the image darker, or did I simply miss the option? :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™d recommend having two lower settings for gamma, like -1/-2 or starting at 0 for darkest, 2 for normal and 4 for birghtest.[/QUOTE]

There is not such an option in Wii, the only chance you have for this is to change the setting on your TV :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ShadowOne333;38973]Is there a way to like change the brightness/contrast/saturation for GBA games that suffer of oversaturation? I know thereā€™s a gamma option but that only goes from normal (0) to brighter and brightest (1 & 2), but AFAIK thereā€™s no way to make the image darker, or did I simply miss the option? :P[/QUOTE]

If you just want to add black to the colors like Nintendo releases do. In photoshop make a transparent image. Use the fill tool with solid black. Set opacity from 10% to 30% Save as PNG and create an overlay *.cfg for it. In RGUI keep opacity at max.

GBA VC on Wii U/GBP equivalent would be 20% GBA VC on 3DS equivalent would be 30%

On Enhanced mGBA(which you should be using, itā€™s much faster than RA) Set --contrast= .890625 for 10% .78125 for 20% .671875 for 30% And so on, input and output gamma should be set to 1. Overlays are also supported so you can follow the same steps for RA but convert the image to IA8 and .gz it.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;39128]If you just want to add black to the colors like Nintendo releases do. In photoshop make a transparent image. Use the fill tool with solid black. Set opacity from 10% to 30% Save as PNG and create an overlay *.cfg for it. In RGUI keep opacity at max.

GBA VC on Wii U/GBP equivalent would be 20% GBA VC on 3DS equivalent would be 30%

On Enhanced mGBA(which you should be using, itā€™s much faster than RA) Set --contrast= .890625 for 10% .78125 for 20% .671875 for 30% And so on, input and output gamma should be set to 1. Overlays are also supported so you can follow the same steps for RA but convert the image to IA8 and .gz it.[/QUOTE]

Oh great! This will be great to implement with the mGBA core on the Wii for some of those games that have oversaturation. :slight_smile:

I have three PNGs so far for the overlays, 10%, 20% and 30% named as 10P, 20P and 30P.png respectively. And my overlays.cfg file is as follows:

overlays = 3 overlay0_overlay = 10P.png # Optional overlay0_full_screen = true overlay1_overlay = 20P.png # Optional overlay1_full_screen = true overlay2_overlay = 30P.png # Optional overlay2_full_screen = true

Would that do it? I basically just want to switch between percentages to test which one looks the best for certain games and have them cover the full screen.

EDIT: I managed to get the overlay working by making separate *.cfg files for each image. Like this:

overlays = 1 overlay0_overlay = 10P.png overlay0_full_screen = true

That one is for the overlay with 10% transparency on a black background. I have images for 10% up to 80%, I think 90 and 100% are just too much, but damn, Donkey Kong Country has to use the 80% overlay because that shit is just too oversaturated haha.

Anyway, thanks!

Quick question.

Since mGBA latest versions have support for GB and GBC formats now (although GBC shows up in black and white), could the mGBA-libretro core be modified to also see .gb and .gbc formats? As of 1.3.4 I think it only sees .gba games, but not .gb nor .gbc

Have the nightlies for mGBA been modified to read those too?

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;39128]If you just want to add black to the colors like Nintendo releases do. In photoshop make a transparent image. Use the fill tool with solid black. Set opacity from 10% to 30% Save as PNG and create an overlay *.cfg for it. In RGUI keep opacity at max.

On Enhanced mGBA(which you should be using, itā€™s much faster than RA) Set --contrast= .890625 for 10% .78125 for 20% .671875 for 30% And so on, input and output gamma should be set to 1. Overlays are also supported so you can follow the same steps for RA but convert the image to IA8 and .gz it.[/QUOTE]

Anything that enhanced mGBA has over the standalone version/vanilla mGBA? I heard that it was more unstable.