Wii/NGC Nightly discussion thread

The problem with arcade resolutions is because everymachine has a different resolution, and many of them the screen is bigger on the vertical, so, when we try to play them on a TV, and specially if you use an CRT TV, some areas of the game will not fits your screen. I am always trying to fits the original resolution for every console, but with arcades that’s not possible. So, probably the best thing to do is try a smaller resolution who fits your screen, and for arcades, that can works better NOT using a double strike resolution because the game sprites can be messed with double strike smaller resolutions. On this post you can find informations about every console best resolution: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065

And about the overlays, its just check the overlay option on the setting.

Also, for Atari2600 NTSC games (using on a CRT):

Screen Resolution: 640x240 Soft Filter Enable On Aspect Ratio Index Custom Custom Viewport X 0 Custom Viewport Y 14
Custom Viewport Width 640 Custom Viewport Height 208 Deflicker Off HW Bilinear Filtering Off

[QUOTE=soniccomicsbr;49818]The problem with arcade resolutions is because everymachine has a different resolution, and many of them the screen is bigger on the vertical, so, when we try to play them on a TV, and specially if you use an CRT TV, some areas of the game will not fits your screen. I am always trying to fits the original resolution for every console, but with arcades that’s not possible. So, probably the best thing to do is try a smaller resolution who fits your screen, and for arcades, that can works better NOT using a double strike resolution because the game sprites can be messed with double strike smaller resolutions. On this post you can find informations about every console best resolution: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065

And about the overlays, its just check the overlay option on the setting.[/QUOTE] But it also happens with SNES, NES, GENESIS etc… everything has the top and bottom cropped. I’m using an HDTV with HDMI (Wii U). If I lower the resolution (512x448 for instance) the image displays correctly but everything looks like crap (blurry) I want to see the WHOLE picture while using 640x480, cause it looks like intended that way (sharp) Is that possible? Also, the overlays don’t work. Im “pretty sure” it shouldn’t look like this :smiley: Do you actually use any overlays? How do you center the image? (by the way, trying to change overlay scale automatically gives a DSI exception and forces a reboot)

[QUOTE=soniccomicsbr;49819]Also, for Atari2600 NTSC games (using on a CRT):

Screen Resolution: 640x240 Soft Filter Enable On Aspect Ratio Index Custom Custom Viewport X 0 Custom Viewport Y 14
Custom Viewport Width 640 Custom Viewport Height 208 Deflicker Off HW Bilinear Filtering Off[/QUOTE]

What does “soft filter enable” do? Does anybody know? Is it like deflicker? Thanks.

You don’t understand what I explained. Your 640x480 will not work for display everything on screen because of the original resolution of these consoles. You have to follow what is explained on that link that I showed to you and everything will be ok. And softfilter will works only for CRT TVS.

And about the overlay size, you have to configure it on overlay options.

soniccomicsbr

Nightly know if the retroarch last for Wii are no longer giving the error resolution with black screen when you open the retroarch?

Soft filter is actually a hardware filter, it improves the visual quality when using composite cables. Deflicker in retroarch is hardcoded to only work in 480i, thus the setting only works in 480i, and like VI width you have to refresh video mode to see changes.

[QUOTE=soniccomicsbr;49858]You don’t understand what I explained. Your 640x480 will not work for display everything on screen because of the original resolution of these consoles. You have to follow what is explained on that link that I showed to you and everything will be ok. And softfilter will works only for CRT TVS.[/QUOTE]

Hi. Thanks for replying. Yes, I understood you. I think I’m not explaining myself correctly. Take retroarch on PC for instance. The resolution is the native resolution of your monitor, and retroarch scales the video of each console appropriately. Now, I know the wii is not nearly as powerful, but I don’t see whay it is overscaning. My TV is 1:1 (Just scan), the Wii U is outputting 1080p (it upscales the wii resolution internally, but it scales it properly, you can see black borders all around even on Wii games) So why is it that retroacrh forces the cropping? I’m happy using core provided aspect ratio, it helps when using multiple systems and not having to mess with the settings for every core. The ONLY thing I want is for it to display the lines missing from top and bottom. Don’t care about square pixels, 1:1 PAR. None of that. Just to get the full picture when using the maximum available resolution and core provided aspect ratio. Somebody understands what I’m trying to say? Is it possible? If not, why not? What is creating the overscan? @SuperrSonic, I remember you helping me a long time ago. And you know your stuff… perhaps you know what I’m talking about? Thanks.

Are you saying you can’t get retroarch to render beyond a certain line? Instead of using core provided ar try 4:3 and see if it’s still cropped, if it is then maybe you’re locked to one of the screen resolutions that are less than 480i/p, preventing you from rendering more than is specified. That’s one way of creating a cropped display issue.

Alguém sabe dizer se o retroarch wii depois do 29.08, conseguiram arrumar o código que não funcionava?

Can anyone tell if the retroarch wii after 29.08, managed to fix the code did not work?

Hi. Sorry for the delay… Don’t know why it didn’t alert me with an e-mail… Anyway, yeah. Even on 4:3 some pixels are missing on top and bottom. I don’t get it honestly, the “wii” part of the wiiu is being upscaled by the wiiu (I know because even in the wii menu you can see black borders all around.) Just to be sure, Wii outputs at 480p with NO cropping, correct? So 640x480 should be 1:1, right? I don’t get it…

Yes, however it depends purely on the program. The system menu is 456 lines, it’s normal to see black bars on top/bottom. You didn’t tell me if you saw a difference toggling between screen resolutions, if it somehow got set to x448 or similar you will definitely get cropping.

I see a difference alright. If I change retroarch’s resolution to 512x448 I can see the whole image. No cropping. So to answer your question, in my case at least 448 “fixes” the issue, doesn’t cause it. The bad part is that it looks blurry (blurrier than 480 at least)

cg parameters on the newer nightlys won’t work? why? on purpose?

OK. I managed to get it to display properly (looks hella sharp, or as sharp as possible and no discernible abnormalities on images) My only remaining issue is with the scrolling artifacts (I’m guessing thats because even though the image and aspect ratio look good, the pixels are unevenly stretched out?) Is there a way to minimize this? My current setup is as follows:

• resolution 640x480
  • bilinear filtering and deflicker off
  • custom AR: 640x448
  • the… “centering thingamajig” at 18 (from the top)

Like I said, everything looks NICE. my only gripe is that on sidescrolling games (like CONTRA on NES for instance) I can see a flicker of some sort, or some scrolling artifacts to be more precise. If I change the aspect ratio to 512x448 everything runs smooth as butter, nothing flickers at all (or at least nothing visible) BUT, it looks square and tiny, obviously. IS there a middle ground to be found? Thanks.

Have you tried seeing how NES VC looks like on your TV? Because it displays correctly and RA can be set to imitate that. Otherwise your TV is to blame.

Like I said, I’m actually pretty happy with what I’ve got now. It looks OK (except for the horizontal scrolling “blurriness” or artifacts, however you wanna call it.but they’re not even that noticeable) Could you tell me how to “imitate” the VC games on RA? I’d like to try those settings before calling it a day and stop tinkering and start playing :slight_smile: SNES, Genesis and Nes if possible (if you have the VC settings for all the consoles I’d appreciate those as well. If not, no big deal) Thanks again.

BTW, (this is an issue with the 08/29 nightly, which is the one I’m using cause none of the newer ones work) Top Gear 3000 displays graphical glitches throughout the game (never did that before)

That’s a problem because of the cropping issue you’re having, these setting might not help you. That’s why I’d like to know if you see the same thing with VC. SNES and NES VC 512x240(480) if using snes9x next 512x224(448) AR Index: 4:3/core provided/config, whatever fills out the frame. VI width: 640

*All NES cores on Wii output 256x240, but see the core options to disable cropping, I think only nestopia has it. snes9x next has hacks to keep games 256x224, while VC outputs all lines.

Genesis VC cannot be imitated because RA lacks automatic resolution switching and oversampled bilinear.

It seems that latest nightlies are no longer working on the Wii, is anybody else having problems?

Yeah, they broke at the end of August. We haven’t had a chance to figure out what broke.