Windows Nightly discussion thread

I’ve got some help from the Retro Achievements guy and was able to fix these issues. It should work with the next nightly.

Actually our Genesis emulators don’t seem to implement a functionality necessary for the achievements to work. I’ll see what can be done.

What’s the difference between nightly and stable and why is the nightly package smaller and lacking all the individual files that the stable comes with? Below the nightly packages it says “For a new installation just grab the Retroarch full package.” What is this referring to? And can anyone direct me to a clear tutorial perhaps so I can set things up and enjoy what looks like a great program?

Thanks.

Edit:: I meant missing files not folders in the top sentence.

“Stable” is just a snapshot that we decided had the features and bugfixes that were necessary for most people to have a good experience. Nightlies are built each “night” with the latest updates/changes. Generally, we recommend just using the nightlies. We may abandon “stable” builds entirely soon. For the nightlies, use this one: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/RetroArch.7z It contains all of the libraries you need to run things (except for the cores themselves, which you need to download from the ‘online updater’).

After i downloaded and extracted your linked package I went back to nightly -> windows -> x86_64, downloaded the last package (which is what I suspect you linked me to) and was successful. (Turns out I was linked by a poster on another forum to the OSX/Apple package so that may’ve been the problem.) However, the initial package I downloaded on my own was the nightly windows x86_64 2015-10-10-01:23 package which I tried again and that package doesn’t have those libraries. Can you tell me why this is the case? Really appreciate your reply and help.

UPDATE: When I try to start Retroarch I get the following error message: The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. I then get a Windows program not working window and need to close the program through there. The “stable” package opens without a problem.

Thanks.

The ones lacking the libs are there for updating to save tons of bandwidth (as you noticed, they’re much, much smaller than the full package). Once you have the full package, you can update using the small ones without the libs and just overwrite your executable (retroarch.exe) instead of downloading the whole thing again (and losing all of your settings, etc).

Actually the 2015-10-10-01:23 package which lacks the dlls is bigger than the most recent package at the bottom by about 5 mb which is why I find it so curious.

When I try to start Retroarch I get the following error message: The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. I then get a Windows program not working window and need to close the program through there. The “stable” package opens without a problem.

Thanks

Update: I should add that when I try to start the nightly package I get an Avast! scan initially but not with further attempts to open it whereas no scan is started with the stable release.

Update: I copied the exe from the stable package to the nightly and the GUI opened properly. Hopefully things will work from there. Additionally, as to the 2010-10-10-01:23 package, what’s perplexing is that its extraction takes as long as the the stable package, longer than the nightly, yet no dlls show.

I wanted to start fresh so I downloaded the latest RetroArch.7z nightly but it doesnt seem to open. I’ve redownloaded and extracted it several times but when I go to open the exe file the loading circle just spins in the folder and nothing opens. It also seems to be running as a process but I have to use other programs to see it but I can’t kill it (Access Denied).

I am on Windows 10 64-Bit.

Edit - Got it working. It wasn’t DirectX 9 but rather Avast. Anyone using Avast should update it to the newest version, otherwise Retroarch might not run.

Seems the latest Retroarch Nightly releases, in the MAME core (2015), crashes on exit on certain roms. Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, etc… I have just tried the lastest 16-12-2015 x64 Retroarch, fresh copy - no configs/shaders/overlays, and it still crashes on exit.

It’s not a major problem, most of my editing for configs/shaders are done in Notepad++, anyway. Just reporting to see if others are having the same issue.

When always I unpack the cheat files, I get question about overwriting the other because of the same filename, for example: Secret of Mana. So… I always decide for the… bigger file? Whats wrong here?

[QUOTE=Morku;32222]When always I unpack the cheat files, I get question about overwriting the other because of the same filename, for example: Secret of Mana. So… I always decide for the… bigger file? Whats wrong here?

[/QUOTE] These are different files for Unix system, but not for Windows, just rename one.

1 Like

Latest BSNES build available from buildbot (the one based on v096) doesn’t seem to work at all.

Crashes just before the [bsnes]: XML map part in the log, when compared against v094.

I’m guessing bsnes folders strike again?

1 Like

Yeah, probably. I think Alcaro is still working on the update. I’ll follow up with him.

So, has there been any info on Genesis Retro Achievements yet? Just curious is all. Seems weird that the website can recognize that I’m playing a specific Genesis game, but not recognize that I did a thing required for an achievement. And the last mention of it in this thread was some time last month. So I didn’t think it’d hurt to ask.

I also noticed Super Mario Land for Gameboy (using the Gambette core) crashes Retroarch if Retro Achievements are turned on. Dunno if it’s been mentioned or not, I haven’t read through the whole thread. I dunno if it crashes other games or not, that’s the only one I tested so far aside from Super C(which didn’t crash, but it doesn’t have any Achievements on the site, so it’s probably related to if the game has them or not.)

It’d also be great if the core name mentioned if Retroachievements worked with it or not. There’s like 5 NES cores, but only 1 seems to work with achievements. But I had to try all of them to figure out which one worked.(it was QuickNES)

On the latest nightlies Retroarch closes while choosing Mega CD games

Thanks for the XMB scaling option, that rocks! :slight_smile:

Be sure to change your fonts to use assets/glui/Roboto-Regular.ttf if you use scaling like 50%. Much cleaner for small fonts.

I saw you managed to update Mame: will Mame170 build soon? I see some relative cores like mame2014 disappeared from the “latest” buildbot archive.

The files name gets shorten a bit too much when selecting from “load content”:

snapshot

does using CLI for Mednafen_PSX crash RetroArch for others? 1.3.0 works but all the latest nightlies available crash for me.

I found the ticker_limit value in xmb driver source, rising it to 150 solved the text limitation. Good workaround for now.

I see MAME170 compiled successfully for several environments, but not for windows yet. Has it got some issues or is it just an omission?