xBR algorithm tutorial

Some questions:

1- Does it happen only in gba games? Could you try a snes game and tell me if the same artifacts happen?

2- Turn hw bilinear OFF, integer scale ON, aspecto ratio CUSTOM, and tell me if the same artifacts happen.

3 - What’s your system? HW and SW.

1-Tried snes game “Hyper Metroid” on settings that You mentioned above, the results are even worse (same warped graphics, but the aspect ratio is a garbage right now, some shots below): 2- Again, the screens shows it all : / 3- Intel Xeon 3ghz, dual core (same as well known core 2 duo E8400), Radeon HD7770 1GB GDDR5, 4gb RAM ddr2, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, screen display is Samsung TV 28" 1360x768, also set to this native resolution in Windows.

I don’t have that hack.

Anyway, I tested Super Metroid here and couldn’t reproduce those artifacts:

It tested with many aspect ratios and didn’t find any of those artifacts. I can’t reproduce it.

It looks just amazing! This is the effect that I’m looking to achieve - but what could be wrong on my end? Don’t have a clue sadly… BTW - this is hack called HYPER METROID, and as a gamer I strongly reccomend trying this out as it is (yes, I;m a fan of metroid series) by far the best 2D metroid game to date, sorry for little offtop but You just have to try it out, it’s like a powered up sequel to gaming godness - super metroid.

Hmm maybe I should change some RA specific graphic options in some way to get proper working effedt? Right now using opengl video driver, could this be the culprit? Or maybe You can think of anything else on this end?

No problem with Hyper Metroid too:

I’m using OpenGL too. No idea what’s the problem.

Tried d3d mode, but it crashed my RA xp I had to manually switch back to gl option in notepad settings file to even start up again. Ehh such a great shader and thats annoying as hell that I don’t even know why something is messed up - maybe my radeon gpu doesnt have some function/ instruction set to properly coop with super xbr? Every from this shader family is giving me same artifacts - I don’t know what is handled there so differentely that regular xbr’s works and super in not as it should.

[QUOTE=belmont1990;38113]It looks just amazing! This is the effect that I’m looking to achieve - but what could be wrong on my end? Don’t have a clue sadly… BTW - this is hack called HYPER METROID, and as a gamer I strongly reccomend trying this out as it is (yes, I;m a fan of metroid series) by far the best 2D metroid game to date, sorry for little offtop but You just have to try it out, it’s like a powered up sequel to gaming godness - super metroid.[/QUOTE] Off topic, but I finished Environmental Station Alpha yesterday and it’s a great notmetroidbutit’smetroid game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/350070/

Hi, i’m trying to load crt-super-xbr.cgp, but nothing happens, others like crt-easymode-halation, are working.

edit:I’m in lubuntu 16.04

It seems latest builds are presenting some problems. Look at this thread: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5554

I can assure you that preset is working as intended. I use it often. MY build is at least two months old, though.

thx for the link.

now works, but “weird” (maybe resolution problem?)

my .cfg

http://freetexthost.com/gv65psxign

tomorrow I will try in windows, good night (in Chile).

[QUOTE=ismajo;38309]thx for the link.

now works, but “weird” (maybe resolution problem?) [/QUOTE] Yes, this is the same bug reported by Belmont. I’ll test the latest RA build to see if I can reproduce it.

Sorry, that bug was my fault. I forgot to update some params before uploading to the repo. Now it’s correct and already there.

The error is that the scaling is swapped between passes 0 and 1. Pass 0 should scale only by 1x and second pass by 2x.

Could you two update your presets and test it?

The fixed preset should be like this:

shaders = "5"
shader0 = "../xbr/shaders/super-xbr/super-xbr-pass0.cg"
filter_linear0 = "false"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
float_framebuffer0 = "false"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y0 = "source"
scale_y0 = "1.000000"
shader1 = "../xbr/shaders/super-xbr/super-xbr-pass1.cg"
filter_linear1 = "false"
wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
float_framebuffer1 = "false"
scale_type_x1 = "source"
scale_x1 = "2.000000"
scale_type_y1 = "source"
scale_y1 = "2.000000"
shader2 = "../xbr/shaders/super-xbr/super-xbr-pass2.cg"
filter_linear2 = "false"
wrap_mode2 = "clamp_to_border"
float_framebuffer2 = "false"
scale_type_x2 = "source"
scale_x2 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y2 = "source"
scale_y2 = "1.000000"
shader3 = "../windowed/shaders/jinc2-sharper.cg"
filter_linear3 = "false"
wrap_mode3 = "clamp_to_border"
float_framebuffer3 = "false"
scale_type_x3 = "source"
scale_x3 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y3 = "source"
scale_y3 = "0.500000"
shader4 = "shaders/crt-hyllian.cg"
filter_linear4 = "false"
wrap_mode4 = "clamp_to_border"
float_framebuffer4 = "false"

thank you very much! Not the same frame, but you can see the differences.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/171858

Now that I figured out that bug, it reminded me that the fast-bilateral+super-xbr preset was wrong too. So I fixed it too and added another crt combination to the ‘denoisers’ folder (very good for pre-rendered games like Resident Evil).

Some screens (without the crt portion, though): Super-xBR

Fast Bilateral + Super-xBR

Super-xBR

Super-xBR

Now the new crt preset: Fast-Bilateral + Super-xBR + crt-hyllian. This preset is already in common-shaders.

Nice! It’s almost like increasing the bit depth.

Gotta test this ASAP!! This looks Unholy GREAT Hylian :smiley:

EDIT: Super xBR works like it should on my end, no problems so far, thank You for help :slight_smile: Also what is the actual difference between cg shaders and glsl? On my end glsl are giving me some artifacts while cg works and looks like a charm (no graphical artifacts at all, also quite sharper image).

The new preset looks great too, now all we have to do is wait for rustation HW Ogl plugin to pair it up (higher internal resolution + new denoiser preset) and PSX will have yet another life, this time blending classic crt style with improved 3D and 2D graphics, option for every game.

One question: how can I increase the super xBR scaling factor. I am using 3 passes Super xbr fast pass0, pass 1 and pass 2, whereas pass 0 is set to scaling factor 2x (nearest). The other passes are factor 1x. I would like to increase the scaling by one more level.

The Super xBR algorithm is great. I have only one remark concerning the eyes in rpgs:

Unfortunately I don’t have a screenshot, but with that screenshot I hope I can describe it better.

Most eyes (especially in RPG or Action RPGs like Secret of mana, Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma etc.) are getting very thin with super xbr. They look like triangles and are very small. The character looks almost angry. Also the castles in Super Mario All Starts - Super Mario Bros 3, looks like angry faces, due to the algorithm of edge detection.

Is there a possibility to adjust the edge detection? Can it be configured?

There are some runtime parameters you could try fiddling with to see if you can find a setting that looks better to you.