xBR algorithm tutorial

Yes, I saw the parameters. [TABLE=“class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container”]

XBR_EDGE_STR

[/TABLE] [TABLE=“class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container”]

XBR_HV_EDGE_STR

XBR_WEIGHT

XBR_WEIGHT2

[/TABLE] XBR_ANTI_RINGING

But I don’t know what they mean.

Is there a way to apply xBR to video in KMPlayer (called pixel shaders) or VLC player?

They would have to be ported to whatever format they use, and it’s likely their shader backends lack features to port them completely. However, you can watch videos in RetroArch and apply them there.

Hi, I’m really new to this so i have a quick question before getting in any deeper! Is it possible to use the crt-super-xbr.cgp shader in MAME? I’m running it through RetroArch on a firestick.

I noticed that the other shader files are .glsl, i added the above to a shader folder i created via FTP, and the file doesn’t show up in the folder. I am struggling to find the proper directory to add the shader files to. Any help would be greatly appreciated as is all the hard work you guys put in to creating the ultimate gaming experience! Thanks

On a FireTV, you can only use glsl/glslp shaders. If you update your glsl shaders through the online updater, you should have that same preset in glslp format. It may or may not work. I haven’t tested it, and our GLSL shaders are converted by a script to GLSL, and some of them don’t convert properly.

Thanks hunterk, i’ll have a look for the online updater Greatly appreciated!

Edit : I created a thread and bugreport about specific gfx issue with some xbr shaders on my hardware (http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7352) so this post is moot. Sorry for the noise.

I also created a thread regarding my performance issue with advanced shaders in double-buffering mode : http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7372

Sorry again, I won’t cross-post again :wink:

There is one bug which is obvious in Super Mario World. If the users activates super xbr the right upper area of a round sprite is a triangle. In the overworld ‘Yoshis Island’ in Super Mario World, you can see the issues on the eyes of the hills (I used the preset super xbr 3p).

I’ve updated the Super-xBR filter with new parameters. It enhances the smoothness and small details preservation. Besides, it deals better with dithering (keeping most of it intact). I’ve only updated the Cg shaders in common-shaders Retroarch repo, though.

Some screenshots:

whew, those shots look great O_O

I’ll try to update the GLSL and slang presets to match in the next day or two.

While we’re talking about xBR, I ported most of them to GLSL successfully but I can’t quite get xBR-mlv4-multipass working. If you care to take a look, the slang/vulkan version is here:

No worries either way, though. I’ve rewritten it 3 or 4 times and each time gets a little closer, so I’ll probably get it worked out in a another 3 or 4 rewrites lol

That’s great! Thanks. Unfortunately I’m not using vulkan yet (I don’t know if my notebook supports it). But I can look your glsl code and compare with cg to see if I figure out any errors.

heh, no worries. I can go ahead and port it to regular GLSL, and I’ll post some screenshots from the slang version, too.

I suspect it’s the third pass that’s causing problems. I’m pretty sure the outputs from the other passes are correct.

I just found even better parameters for super-xbr and updated the Retroarch repository.

Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/iEwmY

1 Like

xBR-hybrid-beta4.cg -> xBR-hybrid-beta4.cg tends to create sharp edges in places where there ought to be a smooth color gradient. This tends to give it a “plastic-y” look a lot like the HQ shader. You can also see this in the picture below, especially on the “figurine” icon and the highlights on the character’s backs.

First of , thx for your amazing work @ xBR It seems i cant manage to get that awesome results like in your screens. Normally i load the core (Snes9x for example) and the best result i get is from xBRZ (Title Screen from Super Metroid for Benchmark). But if i choose your super-xbr it looks not like in your screen. Furhtermore, what core (settings) are you using for FF9 ?

Have you updated the latest changes in super-xbr? Besides, xbrz and super-xbr are very different in purposes. To get the results in my pictures, I use the preset super-xbr-6p.cgp. Do you have pictures of what you get?

Hmm i get it. Normally i load the GLSL Shader. I made a quick comparison between 4xBR (GLSL) and super xbr 6p (CG).

Super xBR seems to be “washed” out colors. like, to smooth ?! is that the right result ? xBRz on the other feels more plastic-ish, bc of the sharpness (but i like it that way)…on Snes9x with Super Metroid

And again, i cant figure out how you get that awesome images at FF9 ? i use Beetle PSX with 2x internal Resolution. NO fancy settings. But the Text on your images looks awesome, i want it too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edith: tryed several settings nothing looks like in your images. I used Beetle PSX HW with 8x internal resolution and OpenGL as Renderer, adaptive smoothing “on”, internal color depth 32bpp, PGXP Operation Mode “memory + cpu”- vertex cache and perspective correct texturing “on”, dithering pattern “internal resolution” + widescreen hack “on”. Then i tryed the internal “xBR” and “SABR” Texture filtering. Looks way better on the ingame text but the shadow outline of the text seems to cut out (pixelated). Furthermore i see distortions on 2D Background images …like a thin line, grid pattern…if i am 4m away from the monitor i barely notice it , but if i go to 2m i immediatly notice it. So i switched to “nearest” as Texture filtering and tryed several GLSL Shader on xbrz and xbr , i see no huge improvments …maybe too little to be noticed at all.

Maybe im doing something completly wrong. I need some help

You need 1x internal res for these shaders to work.

If you’re increasing the internal resolution, you can try Hyllian’s 3D super-xbr shaders, which will filter the 2D elements and ignore the 3D ones. You have to pick the preset that matches your internal resolution scale factor (i.e., 2x or 4x).

Yes, hunterk, it should work.

BTW, you just remind me that I need to upgrade the parameters for all these sxbr derivative shaders. :thinking:

1 Like