A new little shader i did (glsl)

Could you do the same for CRT-consumer? Edjt: Convert it to slang that is. Glsl doesn’t work on glcore.

1 Like

I’ll put it in my backlog, but I’m not sure when I might get to it

No worries. The gdv mini with the blargg filter does pretty well anyway. I’m using a small Linux handheld (RG552) so it gets close enough. It’s just that because it’s on glcore the glsl shader can’t load at all.

1 Like

Hi. Can someone tell me how to use these shaders in Duckstation? I tried applying them but Duckstation just gives an error saying “Failed to Launch” or whatever.

A log would get to the root of the issue much faster.

Did a new tweak to my favorite lightweight glsl shader:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d0h5w1nbfujrmim/crt-consumer-slotmask.glslp/file

Last post I recommended Bilinear Filtering to be turned on in the video settings, this time it should be off when using this preset.

4 Likes

Did a small update to slang version so it’s closer to glsl version, added vignette and the 2 masks missing, the glsl version brightboost (the brighter a color is the brighter boost it gets) and saturation.

4 Likes

Added glow (borrowed from crt-consumer) and white point to gdv-mini, calibrated colors to nearly match my Trinitron, so did a new shader called gdv-mini-ultra-trinitron, added to the repository so it’s soon to be available in SLANG.

Initial

gdv-mini-ultra

6 Likes

This is great but why didn’t you just jump right onto the Magic Glow bandwagon? Is it too taxing performance wise based on your goals?

1 Like

I haven’t checked performance yet but glow, in general, is taxing. I have no problem run anything on my GTX 1070 but there are other shaders already that cover that area.

1 Like

Check the difference it makes. gdv-mini 1st, bland colors, uninteresting, makes you think who would draw such desaturated colors. Also lacks contrast a lot. 2nd gdv-mini-ultra-trinitron. Vibrant and interesting. Man i love those Trinitron colors lol :grinning: (colors are 99% there, they are even more saturated and vibrant in reality)

5 Likes

A comparison of various filters. Just a guess crt-geom should be using lanczos (very blurry) while hyllian fast uses catrom, which is similar (a bit less artifacts) that’s why they look alike so much. Personally I would opt for Mitchell and hermite as a sharp option. Triangle is the bilinear filter.

montage_enlarge

2 Likes

Added the mono display to gdv-mini-ultra-trinitron. Here combined with ntsc-adaptive running zx spectrum games

3 Likes

Another interesting comparison of filters

For reference, crt-geom should be using lanczos, hyllian-fast uses catrom and i added hermite there too as a “SHARPER” option. z-fast uses quilez

5x scale

Later i will post a screenshot of my trinitron with the same image for reference (Retroarch on my PC with SCART RGB Calamity drivers)

4 Likes

Looks good. Btw, there is a palette in Nestopia called CXA something or other, it’s based on the same decoder used in Sony TVs.

2 Likes

Do we know which of these is used by NTSC-adaptive?

1 Like

It should be using it’s own filter to recreate ntsc artifacts, probably none of these. These are image upscaling filters.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure if it was modified/based off of an existing filter, or how exactly it works. It’s always puzzled me why the shader is blurrier than a TV using composite video, probably something to do with comb filters. Apologies for the tangent.

2 Likes

Observing my Trinitron (RGB) there is no blur, “antialiasing” is done by some minimal pixel glow, pixel shape (not square but rounded edges) and convergence (red, green, blue shift slightly or else “color bleed” ).

2 Likes

Another one with an actual pixel art sprite (gimp and irfanview built-in filters used). Zoom in lanczos and see the artifacts around the sprite.

while it’s great for DOWN-scaling

Clipboard04

Clipboard01

2 Likes