An input lag investigation

Tip: Start reading this post at “UPDATE June 17th 2016” below and then continue with the newer updates.

UPDATE January 3rd 2018:

Tests of SNES Classic Mini controller connected to PC using Raphnet’s low-latency USB adapter: An input lag investigation

UPDATE June 18th 2017:

Additional tests showing effect on input lag from using shaders and from the new raw input driver : An input lag investigation

UPDATE May 2nd 2017:

Input lag on real SNES console on a CRT TV: An input lag investigation

UPDATE October 14th 2016:

Recommendations for low input lag in RetroArch: An input lag investigation

UPDATE August 16th 2016:

Test of higan v101 vs RetroArch: An input lag investigation

UPDATE August 8th 2016:

Test of input lag with Vulkan backend compared to OpenGL: An input lag investigation

UPDATE June 28th 2016 (#2):

Important update concerning the “Frame Delay” setting in RetroArch and calculations on how much room for improvement there actually is compared to a real NES: An input lag investigation

UPDATE June 28th 2016:

Important update concerning Nestopia and fceumm: An input lag investigation

UPDATE June 20th 2016:

Important update concerning inherent emulator lag: An input lag investigation

UPDATE June 17th 2016:

Since performing my original tests, I’ve improved the test methodology and posted a better test. The new test was first posted here (link) in this thread, but I’ve chosen to paste it into this post as well. The old test comes at the end of this post after the text “OLD POST BELOW”.

It’s time for an update (and it’s a hefty one)! I’ve been laying low lately, due to several things. First of all, I simply haven’t had much time to spare (and this testing is pretty time consuming). I’ve also spent some time on modifying a USB SNES replica with an LED, to get more accurate readings. Additionally, I took the decision to postpone any further testing until I got my new phone, an iPhone SE, which is capable of 240 FPS recording. Recording at 240 FPS, combined with the LED-rigged controller, provides for much quicker and more accurate measurements than previously.

So, having improved the test rig, I decided to re-run some of my previous tests (and perform some additional ones). The aim of this post is to:

• Look at what sort of input lag that can be expected from RetroPie and if it differs between the OpenGL and Dispmanx video drivers.
  • Look at what sort of input lag that can be expected from RetroArch in Windows 10.
  • Isolate the emulator/game part of the input lag from the rest of the system, in order to see how much lag they actually contribute with and if there are any meaningful differences between emulators.

Let’s begin! :smiley:

Test systems and equipment

Windows PC:

• Core i7-6700K @ stock frequencies
  • Radeon R9 390 8GB (Radeon Software 16.5.2.1, default driver settings except OpenGL triple buffering enabled)
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • RetroArch 1.3.4
  • lr-nestopia v1.48-WIP
  • lr-snes9x-next v1.52.4
  • bsnes-mercury-balanced v094

RetroPie:

• Raspberry Pi 3
  • RetroPie 3.8.1
  • lr-nestopia (need to check version)
  • lr-snes9x-next (need to check version)

Monitor (used for all tests): HP Z24i LCD monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, connected to the systems via HDMI. This monitor supposedly has almost no input lag (~1 ms), but I’ve only seen one test and I haven’t been able to verify this myself. All tests were run at native 1920x1200 resolution.

Gamepad (used for all tests): Modified RetroLink USB SNES replica. I have modified the controller with a red LED connected to the B button. As soon as the B button is pressed, the LED lights up. Below is a photo of the modified controller (click to view full size):

Recording equipment: iPhone SE recording at 240 FPS and 1280x720 resolution.

Configuration

RetroArch on Windows PC:

Default settings except:

• Use Fullscreen Mode: On
  • Windowed Fullscreen Mode: Off
  • HW Bilinear Filtering: Off
  • Hard GPU Sync: On

RetroPie:

Default settings, except video_threaded=false.

The video_driver config value was changed between “gl” and “dispmanx” to test the different video drivers.

Note: Just to be clear, vsync was ALWAYS enabled for all tests on both systems.

Test procedure and test cases

The input lag tests were carried out by recording the screen and the LED (connected to the controller’s B button), while repeatedly pressing the button to make the character jump. The LED lights up as soon as the button is pressed, but the character on screen doesn’t jump until some time after the LED lights up. The time between the LED lighting up and the character on the screen jumping is the input lag. By recording repeated attempts and then analyzing the recordings frame-by-frame, we can get a good understanding of the input lag. Even if the HP Z24i display used during these tests were to add a meaningful and measurable delay (which we can’t know for sure), the results should still be reliable for doing relative comparisons.

I used Mega Man 2, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island and the SNES 240p test suite (v1.02). All NTSC. For each test case, 35 button presses were recorded.

The test cases were as follows:

• Test case 1: RetroPie, lr-nestopia, Mega Man 2, OpenGL
  • Test case 2: RetroPie, lr-nestopia, Mega Man 2, Dispmanx
  • Test case 3: RetroPie, lr-snes9x-next, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, OpenGL
  • Test case 4: RetroPie, lr-snes9x-next, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, Dispmanx
  • Test case 5: RetroPie, lr-snes9x-next, 240p test suite, Dispmanx
  • Test case 6: Windows 10, lr-nestopia, Mega Man 2, OpenGL
  • Test case 7: Windows 10, lr-snes9x-next, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, OpenGL
  • Test case 8: Windows 10, bsnes-mercury-balanced, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, OpenGL
  • Test case 9: Windows 10, bsnes-mercury-balanced, 240p test suite, OpenGL

Mega Man 2 was tested at the beginning of Heat Man’s stage:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island was tested at the beginning of stage 1-2:

The 240p test was run in the “Manual Lag Test” screen. I didn’t care about the actual lag test results within the program, but rather wanted to record the time from the controller’s LED lighting up until the result appearing on the screen, i.e. the same procedure as when testing the games.

Below is an example of a few video frames from one of the tests (Mega Man 2 on RetroPie with OpenGL driver), showing what the recorded material looked like.

Test results

Note: The 240p test results below have all had 0.5 frame added to them to make them directly comparable to the NES/SNES game results above. Since the character in the NES/SNES game tests is located at the bottom part of the screen and the output from the 240p test is located at the upper part, the additional display scanning delay would otherwise produce artificially good results for the 240p test.

Comments

• Input lag on RetroPie is pretty high with the OpenGL driver, at 6 frames for NES and 7-8 frames for SNES.
  • The Dispmanx driver is 1 frame faster than the OpenGL driver on the Raspberry Pi, resulting in 5 frames for NES and 6-7 frames for SNES.
  • SNES input lag differs by 1 frame between Yoshi’s Island and the 240p test suite. Could this be caused by differences in how the game code handles input polling and responding to input? Snes9x and bsnes are equally affected by this.
  • Input lag in Windows 10, with GPU hard sync enabled in RetroArch, is very fast. 4 frames for NES and 5-6 frames for SNES.
  • The Windows 10 results indicate that there are no differences in input lag between Snes9x and bsnes.

How much of the input lag is caused by the emulators?

One interesting question that remains is how many frames it takes from the point where the emulator receives the input and until it has produced a finished frame. This is obviously crucial information in a thread like this, since it tells us how much of the input lag is actually caused by the emulation and how much is caused by the host system.

I have googled endlessly to try to find an answer to this and I also created a thread in byuu’s forum (author of bsnes/higan), but no one could provide any good answers.

Instead, I realized that this is incredibly easy to test with RetroArch. RetroArch has the ability to pause a core and advance it frame by frame. Using this feature, I made the following test:

1. Pause emulation (press ‘p’ button on keyboard).
  2. Press and hold the jump button on the controller.
  3. Advance emulation frame by frame (press ‘k’ button on keyboard) until the character jumps.

This simple test seems to work exactly as I had imagined. By not running the emulator in real-time, we remove the input polling time, the waiting for the emulator to kick off the frame rendering, as well as the frame output. We have isolated the emulator’s part of the input lag equation! Without further ado, here are the results (taken from RetroArch on Windows 10, but host system should be irrelevant):

As can be seen, there is a minimum of two frames needed to produce the resulting frame. As expected, SNES emulation is slower than NES emulation and needs 1-2 frames of extra time. This matches exactly with the results measured and presented earlier in this post.

From what I can tell, having taken a quick look at the source code for RetroArch, Nestopia and Snes9x, the input will be polled after pressing the button to advance the frame, but before running the emulator’s main loop. So the input should be available to the emulator already when advancing to the first frame. So, why is neither emulator able to show the result of the input already in the first rendered frame? My guess is that it depends on when the game itself actually reads the input. The input is polled from the host system before kicking off the emulator’s main loop. Some time during the emulator’s main loop, the game will then read that input. If the game reads it late, it might not actually use the input data until it renders the next frame. The result would be two frames of lag, such as in the case of Nestopia. If this hypothesis is correct, another game running on Nestopia might actually be able to pull off one frame of lag.

For the SNES, there’s another frame or two of lag being introduced and I can’t really explain where it’s coming from. My guess right now is that this may actually be a system characteristic which would show up on a real system as well. Maybe an SNES emulator developer can chime in on this?

Final conclusions

So, after all of these tests, how can we summarize the situation? Regarding the emulators, the best we can hope for is probably a 1 frame improvement compared to what we have now. However, I don’t think there’s any motivation from the developers to do the necessary changes (and it might get complex). I’m not holding my breath on that one. So, in terms of NES and SNES emulation that leaves us with 2 and 3-4 frames as the baseline.

On top of that delay, we’ll get 4 ms average (half the polling interval) for USB polling and 8.33 ms average (half the frame interval at 60 FPS) between having polled the input and kicking off the emulator. These delays cannot be avoided.

When the frame has been rendered it needs to be output to the display. This is where improvements seem to be possible for the Raspberry Pi/RetroPie combo. Dispmanx already improves by one frame over OpenGL, and with Dispmanx it’s as fast as the PC (the one used in this test) running RetroArch under Ubuntu in KMS mode (this was tested in a previous post). However, since Windows 10 on the same PC is even faster, I suspect that there’s still room for improvements in RetroPie/Linux. Again, though, I’m not holding my breath for any improvements here. As it is right now, Windows 10 seems to be able to start scanning out a new frame less than one frame interval after it has been generated. RetroPie (Dispmanx)/Ubuntu (KMS) seems to need one additional frame.

The final piece of the puzzle is the actual display. Even if the display has virtually no signal delay (i.e. time between getting the signal at the input and starting to change the actual pixel), we will still have to deal with the scanning delay and the pixel response time. The screen is updated line by line from the top left to the bottom right. The average time until we see what we want to see will be half a frame interval, i.e. 8.33 ms.

Bottom line: Getting 4 frames of input lag with NES and 5-6 with SNES, like we do on Windows 10, is actually quite good and not trivial to improve. RetroPie is only 1 frame slower, but if we could make it match RetroArch on Windows 10 that would be awesome. Anyone up for the challenge? :wink:

Questions for the developers

• Do we know why Dispmanx is one frame faster than OpenGL on the Raspberry Pi?
  • Is there any way of disabling the aggressive smoothing/bilinear filtering when using Dispmanx? <-This is now controllable with the HW bilinear filtering option (video_smooth)
  • Even when using Dispmanx, the Raspberry Pi is slower than Windows 10 by 1 frame. The same seems to hold true for Linux in KMS compared to Windows 10. Maybe it’s a Linux thing or maybe it’s a RetroArch thing when running under Linux. I don’t expect anyone to actually do this, but it would be interesting if an experienced Linux and/or RetroArch dev were to look into this.
  • It would also be nice if any emulator devs could comment regarding the input handling and if that’s to blame for an extra frame of input lag, like we can now suspect. Also, would be interesting to know if the input polling could be delayed until the game actually requests it. I believe byuu made a reference to this in the thread I posted on his forum, by saying: “HOWEVER, the SNES gets a bit shafted here. The SNES can run with or without overscan. And you can even toggle this setting mid-frame. So I have to output the frame at V=241,H=0. Whereas input is polled at V=225,H=256+. One option would be to break out of the emulation loop for an input poll event as well. But we’d complicate the design of all cores just for the sake of potentially 16ms that most humans couldn’t possibly perceive (I know, I know, “but it’s cumulative!” and such. I’m not entirely unsympathetic.)”

Next steps

I will try to perform a similar lag test using actual NES and SNES hardware. I will try to use a CRT for this test and I will not have LED equipped controllers (at least not initially). However, this should be good enough to determine if there’s any meaningful difference in input lag between the two consoles. I don’t have a CRT or SNES right now, so I would need to borrow that. If anyone has easy access to the needed equipment/games (preferably a 120 or 240 FPS camera), I’d be grateful if you’d help out and perform these tests.

In the meantime, I found this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L4AUY7q2OSztes77yBsgHKi_Mt4fIqmMR8okfSJHbM4/pub?hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

As you can see, the SNES (NTSC) with Super Mario World on a CRT resulted in 3 frames of input lag. That corresponds very well with the theories and results presented in this post.

Note regarding the HP Z24i display (can be skipped)

I measured a minimum of 3.25 frames of input lag for Nestopia running under Windows 10. Out of those 3.25 frames, 2 come from Nestopia itself. That leaves us with 1.25 frames for controller input and display output. Given that this was the quickest result out of 35 tests, it’s pretty safe to assume that it’s the result of a nicely aligned USB polling event and emulator frame rendering start, resulting in a miniscule input delay. Let’s assume it’s 0 ms (it’s not, but it’s probably close enough). That leaves us with the display output. The only thing we can be sure of is the scanning delay, caused by the display updating the image from top left to bottom right, line by line. Given the position of the character during the Mega Man 2 test, the scanning accounts for approximately 11.9 ms or 0.7 frames. We’re left with 0.5 frames. This could come from measuring errors/uncertainties, frame delay/buffering in the display hardware, other small delays in the system, liquid crystal response time and of course some signal delay in the screen. Either way, it more or less proves that this HP display has very low input lag (less than one frame).

OLD POST BELOW (first version of the input lag investigation)

After playing a lot of old NES/SNES games on my Raspberry Pi 2 (and 3) using RetroPie, I got interested in investigating how much input lag there is in the system. The games simply seemed much harder to control than I could remember. So, I set out comparing RetroPie on the Raspberry Pi 3 to RetroArch on the PC (both Windows and Linux), to see whether there are any significant platform differences. This topic may be old and tired, but after googling extensively, I couldn’t really find much hard info and test results (but I did find a decent amount of subjective opinions).

The hardware

Windows PC:

Core i7-6700K (Skylake) Radeon R9 390 8GB Windows 10 64-bit

Linux PC:

Dell Latitude E5450 Core i5-5300U (Broadwell) Integrated HD Graphics 5500 Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit

Monitor (used for all tests): HP Z24i LCD monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. This monitor supposedly has almost no input lag (~1 ms), but I’ve only seen one test and I haven’t been able to verify this myself.

Gamepad (used for all tests): CIRKA USB SNES replica

The software

I tested input lag in NES and SNES emulators and used the following two games:

Mega Man 2 Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

OpenGL graphics driver (which is the default setting) was used for all tests on all platforms. No changes to the input driver settings were made, i.e. each platform’s default setting was used.

Test methodology

I recorded the monitor and gamepad with a Canon EOS 70D in 1280x720 mode at 60 FPS. I recorded while jumping repeatedly (approximately 30 times for each test) and then analyzed the film clips frame by frame to get the average input lag.

Results

Raspberry Pi 3 + RetroPie 3.6

• FCEUmm: 7 frames
  • Nestopia: 6 frames
  • snes9x-next: 8 frames

Comments: Nestopia was pretty consistently 1 frame quicker than FCEUmm.

Windows 10 + RetroArch 1.3.2

video_hard_sync off:

• Nestopia: 7 (often 8) frames
  • snes9x-next: 9 (often 10) frames

video_hard_sync on:

• Nestopia: 4 frames
  • snes9x-next: 6 (often 7) frames
  • bsnes-mercury-balanced: 6 (often 5) frames

Comments: Xbox Game DVR feature was disabled in Windows’ Xbox application. Having this feature enabled has been reported to add input lag, but I didn’t really investigate it.

Ubuntu 15.10 + RetroArch 1.3.3 in KMS mode

• Nestopia: 5 frames
  • bsnes-mercury-balanced: 7 frames

Comments: video_hard_sync was left off. Enabling it had no effect on performance.

Conclusions

There are a few conclusions we can draw from these tests. First of all, Nestopia was pretty consistently 1 frame quicker than FCEUmm. SNES emulation seems to be approximately 2 frames slower than NES emulation with Nestopia (at least for the tested games). However, testing on Windows suggests that bsnes-mercury-balanced is quicker than snes9x-next. Where snes9x-next is around 2-3 frames slower than Nestopia, bsnes-mercury-balanced is around 1-2 frames slower. bsnes-mercury is not available per default on RetroPie (and probably wouldn’t run very well due to its higher requirements).

Regarding platform differences: RetroPie is 1-2 frames faster than Windows 10 without video_hard_sync enabled. Once video_hard_sync is enabled, Windows 10 shaves off at least 3 frames of input lag for both NES and SNES emulation, providing the quickest response of all three tested platforms. The biggest surprise is perhaps that running RetroArch in Linux under KMS still doesn’t match Windows in terms of input lag.

So, to summarize, the final standings are:

1. RetroArch under Windows 10: 4-6 frames (67-100 ms) of input lag
  2. RetroArch under Linux KMS: 5-7 frames (83-117 ms) of input lag
  3. RetroPie: 6-8 frames (100-133 ms) of input lag

Although Windows is the quickest, I still wouldn’t call it lightning fast, especially not in the SNES case. Adding a couple of frames for the average TV and you’re already at 133 ms input lag. That may be perfectly fine for modern shooters, but it’s not ideal for super-fast platformers. My Samsung plasma TV appears to have around 4 frames of input lag, which combined with RetroPie results in a total of 200 ms for SNES emulation. That is definitely noticeable and makes, for example, Super Mario World a lot harder than it used to be.

One interesting development that may change things slightly for the Raspberry Pi is the ongoing development of a fully open source OpenGL graphics stack. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in on that and shed some light on any possible ramifications? Given the fact that a PC running Linux under KMS can’t shave off more than 1 frame of input lag compared to the current version of RetroPie, I’m not overly optimistic regarding this particular use case.

Disclaimer

• There’s of course some uncertainty in the measurements due to recording at just 60 FPS. However, with around 30 attempts for each test, a pretty clear trend could be seen.
  • It would have been interesting to test with more NES and SNES games, but I didn’t have time for that.
  • I can’t guarantee that the HP Z24i doesn’t add some measurable latency.
  • Different display hardware (AMD, Intel, Nvidia) could very well affect the outcome.
13 Likes

Have you tried few other emulators? I tested 240p test suite on genesis gx and several snes cores, and genesis gx seems more responsive than snes cores when I tested it on windowed vsync in windows 10. Hard Sync only changes for me when I use exclusive fullscreen with vsync. I tested genesis gx lag test on my laptop plugged to a hdtv with 2-3 frame delay and I mostly get excellent reflexes below 0.5 frames delay with vsync off. With Vsync on to both my laptop (with its own display) and my desktop (pc monitor) adds latency to it, and hard sync somewhat helps, but not as fast as without vsync. Have you tried testing it without vsync? It helps a lot for me, despite getting tearing.

Thanks for sharing your results.

I still wonder about the Hard sync Linux case… could it work on your main i7 PC with a second boot Linux system?

Thank you for doing this, I would also like to see if the results varied much if at all with different controllers and if vsync on / off has any effect. On a purely personally subjective note I have been spending a good deal of time lately playing SNES Super Mario and the MegaMan games and they really don’t “feel” like they are lagging at all. When I die it always feels like me just sucking and not the controls or the emulation input lag. I can make precision jumps and I can miss them just like I did when I was a kid. I also do not have any fancy hardware, just an average run of the mill monitor and a Samsung TV.

So input lag is reduced on a Windows 10 machine by 1 frame when using the Hard GPU Synchronization?

If I want to enable it, is there another setting that I should adjust as well? Or just turn it on and I’m good to go?

[QUOTE=Spooniest;36562]So input lag is reduced on a Windows 10 machine by 1 frame when using the Hard GPU Synchronization? If I want to enable it, is there another setting that I should adjust as well? Or just turn it on and I’m good to go?[/QUOTE] The way I understand it that’s all you need to do. Vsync should be off unless you have really bad screen tearing, that’s the tradeoff. One other option you can try playing with is the Frame Delay, adjust it upwards til you hear sound crackling then dial it back til the crackling goes away. Not sure how much of an effect if any at all that has on input lag. This is purely just how I understand things from reading around here, I am sure someone here would have more and better info than I.

This monitor supposedly has almost no input lag (~1 ms)

The current best monitors are around 9ms in the input lag department so i don’t think that one will be anywhere near 1ms.

This was already discussed so often, but also so often been ignoried. Maybe it is becaue there are so many computer setups out there. Maybe because persons who are using emulators do not have original hardware to test on crt.

You could also test with the 240p test suite, manual lag test. Its a little bit simpler setup than yours.

After a few test in the past I get around 2.0 frames / 34 ms (with and w/o the use of crt shaders, makes no difference for me). My monitor was causing 12ms of own LAG the rest of 22ms where caused by the emulator/pc/vga or testing faults by my self. Thats still too much LAG IMO, but also depents on the game you are planing to play.

Yes, this is true. I had an Asus VG248QE, which the first line of GSync monitors was based on, and I measured its latency at 15 ms using a professional calibration tool.

I guess i’ve just been fortunate enough to never really notice this stuff (not to say its not important or an issue for others), it’s all micro-seconds to me. If I was a world champion Donkey Kong Player I might notice more I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Without vsync, there WILL be tearing, won’t it? Is there a way to archieve non-tearing scrolls in LR/RA without vsync?

[QUOTE=vanfanel;36596]Without vsync, there WILL be tearing, won’t it? Is there a way to archieve non-tearing scrolls in LR/RA without vsync?[/QUOTE] My plan to eliminate tearing is to get a G-Sync monitor. I know Mame has triple buffering but that reintroduces input lag, not sure is Retroarch has something similar to remove the tearing. Vsync also has one other potentially bad side effect and that it forces games to run at 60hz and in some cases that is not the proper game speed and can throw the game off at varying degrees. For consoles I don’t believe this is too big of an issue but for arcade games it can be a much more serious issue as those games ran at much larger variety of refresh rates. Again I am not claiming to be any sort of expert on all this, I am only going by what I understand of what I have read while trying to learn all of this. Maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me if anything I have said is wrong.

@lordmonkus: The games are not forced to run at 60HZ, but at your monitor’s exact physical frequency for the video mode you’re using. That can be 59.019HZ or 60.017804HZ. That’s externally. Internally, the game is emulated at the system’s original speed. Audio is resampled to cope with the number of samples needed to keep up with the video frequency. And this is what makes RetroArch SO incredible for me: smoth scrolls no matter what your phisical refresh rate is. Standalone emulators ALL have problems with this and show video hiccups or audio gaps/crackling due to not doing this.

Did a quick test yesterday using the keyboard instead of the controller and got the same input lag figures.

[QUOTE=Spooniest;36562]So input lag is reduced on a Windows 10 machine by 1 frame when using the Hard GPU Synchronization?

If I want to enable it, is there another setting that I should adjust as well? Or just turn it on and I’m good to go?[/QUOTE] Input lag compared to Windows 10 without video_hard_sync is actually reduced by 3 frames. You just turn it on and you’re good to go.

Not yet. It’s set to its default value (“Late”).

I thought so as well, until I found Prad.de’s testing. They seem to have gone to pretty extreme lengths to investigate and measure input lag on monitors. Below is a link to a very comprehensive write up. Long story short, the common ways of measuring input lag introduce an uncertainty which may lead to several milliseconds and up to a full frame time of error. For example, this is a big issue with the CRT-side-by-side-with-LCD method, where the analog output from a consumer graphics card generally does not seem to be fully synced to the digital output. They end up using a photo diode in conjunction with a high-speed oscilloscope patched into the actual TMDS display signal, which is probably as accurate as it can get without analyzing actual transistor voltage levels. Here’s a paragraph from Prad’s conclusion:

“Nonetheless, the question as to what exactly should be measured is a difficult one: the time until any change on the monitor is visible or only the time the electronics require until the respective pixel is controlled? As a first approximation, this difference was determined for the Samsung 2494HM and is reflected in this special case in a complete denomination. Whilst a total lag of five to six milliseconds was established via photo receiver, including the response time of the panel, it takes just 0.6 milliseconds until a pixel changes its condition in a measurable manner. The measurement could also be refined further by tapping the voltage applied to the respective transistors on an open monitor, which completely excludes the sluggishness of the liquid crystals.”

Page 9 of the HP Z24i review where a signal delay of 0.8 ms is reported (it’s in german, under heading “Latenzzeit”): http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-hp-z24i-teil9.html

Obviously, the photo diode is much more sensitive than the naked eye, so actual pixel response time will determine how quickly I can see the change in my video clips. It shouldn’t take more than a few milliseconds before the change starts being detectable, though. So, all in all, it should have a rather negligible impact for this particular analysis.

Regarding the 240p test suite: I didn’t know about this previously. Ooops… However, I tested it pretty extensively yesterday and the results don’t really make any sense. Here’s what I arrived at:

Win 10 + video_hard_sync off: 4 frames Win 10 + video_hard_sync on: 1 frame RetroPie: 3 frames

No difference could be detected between bsnes-mercury-balanced and snes9x-next. The differences between the different platforms/test cases are exactly the same as the ones I measured with the camera method, except for the fact that all three are exactly 5 frames quicker in the absolute sense. For example, I measured 6 frames for Win 10 with video_hard_sync enabled with the camera method, but got 6-5=1 frame with the manual lag test. For RetroPie, I measured 8 frames with the camera method, but got 8-5=3 frames with the manual lag test.

I did a quick sanity check by testing Super Mario World (the first one) and Mega Man X with the camera method. Both reacted in the same 5-6 frame window as I saw when testing Yoshi’s Island.

I will do the manual lag test while filming the screen and controller to try to determine if I’m systematically pressing the button prematurely or if the lag test simply does react quicker for some reason. Does anyone have any other theories?

Do you have real hardware and crt for testing? Maybe the games are having this lag by design?

Since I do not own a digital camera I only could provide you some iphone videos on real snes and crt.

Edit: And the input lag from your monitor should be around 10ms. Since the uses LAG values are the g/g ones imo:

[QUOTE=xadox;36617]Do you have real hardware and crt for testing? Maybe the games are having this lag by design?

Since I do not own a digital camera I only could provide you some iphone videos on real snes and crt.[/QUOTE] Unfortunately, I have neither an SNES or a CRT at the moment, but I might be able to get access to both at a friend’s. I’ll see what I can do about that.

Actually, 10 ms is for a full transition from one color to a second one and back to the first (they specifically separate the rise and fall times). According to PRAD, it takes 5 ms for each transition. So approximately 5 ms will be needed for fully changing from one color to another. However, while doing frame-by-frame analysis of a video recording, a change is visible far sooner than that. For the sake of this analysis, it effectively eliminates a big part of the response time. A 0.8 ms signal propagation time plus 2 ms for being able to detect a faint change is probably a reasonable assumption. Again, pretty insignificant when discussing delays of around 100 ms.

Of course you are right. But it is important to know what kind of value users are throwing if they are talking about LAG. Like said before. Most of the emu users are just lucky if they where able to play the game since they have no alternative.

Arount 10 years I also just played them on an emu. Now with real hardware in direct comparison I was just dissapointing. It just feels wrong, also if we are only talking about 50ms.

That would be great.

@vanfanel Thanks for clearing that up. I was fairly certain that vsync did not mess with the timing of games with Retroarch at all but I wasn’t positive about it. Do you know if the stand alone Mame is affected by vsync in this way or not ? I seem to recall seeing videos and discussions about this and how certain arcade games because of their really oddball refresh rates being so far below 60 hz natively that running with vsync on makes them run too fast.

Sorry for the double post but for some reason I cannot make a post without everything running into a single paragraph and becoming a wall of text. @Brunnis If you could get your hands on real hardware and games and do a comparison that would be awesome. I would love to know if some of these games just have bad laggy controls programmed into them. I just remember as a kid when you got a shitty controlling game and it just felt awful. Back then we didn’t call it input lag, we just called it sluggish controls and games would get back reviews because of it. Somehow out of all this personally I believe in the end as long as we can eliminate the egregious unnecessary input lag and get it sufficiently fast enough it is just as good as real hardware on a CRT. I know some people out there say beating Tyson in Punch Out or doing the tunnel level in Battletoads is near impossible in emulation but they can do it on real hardware and that these are the best tests for input lag. I was never good enough to do either of these back in the day anyways so I am not a good judge of that. Just because something is measurable with extremely sensitive equipment does it really make any real difference at the end of the day. I am not saying that input lag isn’t a potential problem and I would love to eliminate as much as possible but what point does it become a complete waste of time, energy and money trying to get rid of that last 0.1 ms.

I don’t know how current standalone MAME works, but in the past it used to have these horrible hiccups all emulators had due to refresh rate differences between the games and the physical screen. Some MAME hacks allowed to run them at the physical screen refresh rate, but without a resampler it caused problems like wrong sound pitch, etc. I was tired of that crap so I was only using FPGAs, but then I discovered Libretro/RetroArch and I found a new “home” :smiley:

Also, I have cleared the ship part in Battletoads, the one with the incoming coming walls, in the Gambatte core, several times. Always on an X-less Raspbian with no unnecessary services running, on the Pi/Pi2 (GLES on Dispmanx rendering context, UDEV, ALSA). I haven’t noticed any more input lag than I would notice on a real GameBoy back in the day and that part is playable for me.