4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Twin Cobra 4K Vertical Overlay

Classic Toaplan game!

7 Likes

Ghosts 'n Goblins 4K Vertical Overlay

I’ve been looking at actual photos of the original cabinets lately and trying to replicate the marquees more authentically. It might be too strong of an effect but it does match more to the photos I’ve seen.

7 Likes

Yeah, that was a mistake, I fixed the reflection in the actual file out there. I will have to update the posting later.

2 Likes

Love the inclusion of the coin door. Really completes the look!

Dreamstate, that Nintendo cab speaker port is iconic. Love to see that you’ve showcased it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Genesis Console - Generic 4K Vertical Overlay

Spacies Arcade on Youtube did a couple videos showcasing the work I’ve been doing here and in one of them mentioned it would be nice to have some console versions of these overlays for vertical setups. So, I put together something simple for the Genesis. I think it will be fun to do some custom marquees for some of these Genesis games too, like Gunstar Heroes (shown here), Streets of Rage, etc. So will probably come back and do some of those at some point. I’ll put some of these together for some of the other major consoles too.

This is in a new directory under portrait-monitor:

11 Likes

@Briball has posted his configs, which include my own overlay configurations on his google drive here:

configs

The way this works, if you drop my overlays directly into the retroarch overlay directory, and place his configs into your mame config directory, then it will automatically load the overlay for each game and set the right screen coordinates.

I highly recommend using @HyperspaceMadness’s Mega Bezel Shader with this setup, as I don’t include a monitor bezel in the overlays so it looks correct with his shader.

Longer term I’d like to look into setting up a github so we have a community environment where folks can contribute more easily to this effort.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for these tips, ArsInvictus. Hoping to find time to start setting Retroarch up this weekend.

Love the backlit “night Arcade” option!

1 Like

Super Nintendo Generic 4K overlay

I know there is some banding on this one, I haven’t solved that issue for solid black bezels yet. I’ll see if I can fix it next week when I have some more time. But this is out there now for anyone who wants to play SNES games on a vertical setup:

7 Likes

Totally sweet. These console cabs are a great idea. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Guys! I got Retroarch setup. I was able to configure Donkey Kong, 1943, Karnov and SpaceFB with 4K Portrait Bezels. Thanks so much! This is a load of fun. Having a super time with it. Beautiful work on your part.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Congrats on the new setup, did you get the HSM Mega Bezel going too? That really makes it to me. Let me know if you have any games on your wishlist and I’ll add them to my queue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow wow wow! I registered just right now just to be able to say Fantastic work! I am downloading now your public pack. I am using Retroarch with Raspberry, I know there is a folder that we must add the file with the scaling and position and the other folder for the png, but i don’t know what folders are. Someone ?

1 Like

Man this looks amazing, thanks for doing these console overlays they are looking great!!!

2 Likes

The position config files go in the retroarch/config/MAME folder (the folder name varies by core). The overlays just go into the retroarch/overlays folder.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks @HyperspaceMadness, I really appreciate your support! I’ve been checking your thread as well, great progress on the shader! I need to get the latest version to make use of the vector preset you added and work on some more old vector games :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to let you know there’s a new version coming in the next couple days that is going to come with new presets.

Edit: It also fixes the missing highlight in the inside of the frame.

2 Likes

Here’s a great example of the power of framing. Karnov is absolutely a game that I might have loaded up in MAME, played for ten seconds, and said, “Meh – totally boring.” I’d have moved on and never played again.

With the arcade bezel, however, I can “See the world” the devs had in mind. I gave it a chance. I’m hooked! Been playing this one for the past hour, and plan to finish it. Thanks, ArsInvictus!

2 Likes

That’s so cool @benlogan. I must have played Karnov for an entire summer on my PC back in 1987, it was so addictive, and I think I got very far but don’t think I was ever able to finish it. I’m glad I could help get you into it too :slight_smile:

EDIT: I brought Karonv up myself and decided to make a few updates to bring it more in line with my latest designs. I updated the marquee to look more like actual photos I found of the original arcade cabinet when lit up and I adjust the shading and lit up the coin slots so it looks like the cabinet is on. I put the latest version there if you want to update yours since you are playing it a lot:

7 Likes