Blargg like shader for weak systems?

On weak systems (old igpu) I like to use blargg composite in the options mixed with the zfast-crt shader. Is there a single, light, shader that does basically the same thing for cores that don’t have the blargg option? PCE for example.

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but for some cores you can use the blargg NTSC video filter.

1 Like

That’s what i do for the cores that have it. There are no shaders that mimic composite and add scanlines? Or no light shaders that mimic composite and add scanlines? lol

1 Like

You can try crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-fast.slangp from https://forums.libretro.com/t/new-crt-shader-from-guest-crt-guest-advanced-updates/25444 and see if it’s fast enough.

4 Likes

There’s a video filter outside of the cores, and blargg’s NTSC is one of them.

NTSC de/modulation is just an expensive thing to do, unfortunately.

1 Like

The Blargg CPU filters + Zfast seem to work well on a 3rd gen i3. Never knew these existed! heh

Too bad the setting effects all cores :confused:

1 Like

No idea what im doing but this seems to work for PCE … EDIT: NM its a little wonky, lol

shaders = "3"
shader0 = "shaders_slang/ntsc/shaders/ntsc-adaptive/ntsc-pass1.slang"
filter_linear0 = "false"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input0 = "false"
alias0 = ""
float_framebuffer0 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "4.000000"
scale_type_y0 = "source"
scale_y0 = "1.000000"
shader1 = "shaders_slang/ntsc/shaders/ntsc-adaptive/ntsc-pass2.slang"
filter_linear1 = "true"
wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input1 = "false"
alias1 = ""
float_framebuffer1 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer1 = "false"
scale_type_x1 = "source"
scale_x1 = "0.500000"
scale_type_y1 = "source"
scale_y1 = "1.000000"
shader2 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/zfast_crt/zfast_crt_coarsemask.slang"
wrap_mode2 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input2 = "false"
alias2 = ""
float_framebuffer2 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer2 = "false"
1 Like

You can use core overrides.

2 Likes

Tip: the “Custom” filter file can be opened and edited with a text editor. You can then rename that file and still use it (eg. “Blargg PCE Composite”). As RealNC noted, you can then use core (or other) overrides to only load it when you want to.

2 Likes

Also, have you tried the shader I suggested before from the link I posted? It might just be fast enough to run well for you.

2 Likes

Core overrides for main options has been something i’ve never been able to wrap my head around :confused: … what would editing the file in text edit gain me?

I did. Not fast enough :frowning: heh

Try “tv-out tweaks” too, and add a light shader after the tv-out passes. I think it’s in CRT folder.

2 Likes

The last shader I did named “crt-consumer” (inside crt folder of GLSL shaders) can deform the image to look a bit like composite. Try it and play with Convergence values in settings. I am sure it can run full speed on you.

3 Likes

Cool… I’ll check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been using it for a week and I quite like it. Thanks for making it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Try this version and tell me if it runs full speed on you. The glslp preset loads from shaders folder, not crt.

It’s a bit heavier than before.

https://mega.nz/file/zv5h0A6K#FjEuB48tb6ZkEG2jV_ztMwB2lgnEZUWP_uqYvIQy2QI

1 Like

Much heavier but it works on my 3rd gen iGPU. I used SNES9x current and Yoshi’s island to test. When I press fast forward on the spinning island intro screen I get 84FPS. Your normal one gets over 200.

2 Likes

You can also give this a try. There are different base presets for different performance levels, with “Potato” being the lightest (fastest) for weaker systems.

It includes zfast-crt as well as GDV-Mini which are good lightweight shaders.

You can still combine stuff with the Blargg CPU based filters which might make sense since modern CPUs hardly get much use with old school emulation, while your GPU is a bit on the weak side.

Zfast-crt is around 50% faster than gdv-mini but the latter is head and shoulders above it, it can look way better with curvature, vignette, plenty masks, better filter, better scanlines. Not to mention zfast-crt has a broken mask on GLSL (the reason I did all these light shaders in the first place).

1 Like

Hi do you have a slang version of this? It has become my favourite CRT shader