Building Presets for the Mega Bezel

Welcome to the discussion where we get in depth about building presets for the Mega Bezel!

Ever want to know how to control the shape and size of the bezel, or how the image layers stack and follow each other?

This is the place to ask questions and talk about it and we can all learn from each other.

This is also the place to show your work and how you achieved it with your presets!

4 Likes

2nd Placeholder post

Are there any how to guides on how to apply Mega Bezel to new shaders?

A few years ago I made up a few CRT overlays with glass reflection transparencies and I’d like to update these with mega bezel and turn them into shaders.

One is a recreation of a childhood Grundig CRT set, with a different looking bezel what I see with other mega bezel shaders, and a slightly different viewport.

I’m curious if there is any way to change the size and shape of the bezel to suite?

Thanks,

Here is the overlay I’d like to adapt, hopefully you can see what I mean about the bezel shape.

4 Likes

I’m not sure your question is phrased correctly.

It sounds like you need advice on adding your own graphic to the Mega Bezel shaders, not adding the Mega Bezel to shaders.

2 Likes

This is quite easy. Load a Mega Bezel base preset and save it with a different name.

You will see something like this when you open the preset in a text editor.

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"

Then you add the graphic as the background layer like this.

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"

BackgroundImage = "%path_to_image%/myimage.png"

If you separate your reflective screen you can add it as the screen reflection image layer.

BackgroundImage = "%path_to_image%/myimage.png"
TubeStaticReflectionImage = "%path_to_image%/MyRefelctionImage.png"

You could also separate the TV from the background and add it as an independent layer.

Yes, that is one of the basic features, along with color, inner & outer corner radius, outer curvature radius, etc.

Work on getting your graphic working and we can speak more.

Feel free to PM me.

One more thing, you won’t need the bezel and screen portions of your image, just the TV like this.

4 Likes

Yes, I didn’t phrase that correctly, you’re right. Thanks for the advice. I had a look at the directory structure of yours to try and work it out, they’re excellent. It’s the custom config for changing the bezel size I’m unsure about.

I’ll make a start and split the layers out, thanks for the tips!

4 Likes

Except for the image paths, none of it has to be done by hand. Simply press “F1” on your keyboard or “Home” on your gamepad, to call up the shader dialog.

You can play with all the parameters in there.

A words of warning… there are a LOT of parameters.

Don’t let it scare you, it gets easier as you get more intimate with them. :grin:

The Bezel height and width are in the [BEZEL GENERAL] section,

the parameters for changing the screen size are closer to the beginning of the list.

You can “Page Down” the list with the keyboard or the triggers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Help Duimon, I followed your advice, separated my TV layer and stuck in place of your TV06 layer to test, then had a play around with the variables to get it close to what I had in mind.

I’ll work on a background, phosphor and reflection layer next and build it up.

It’s nearly there, I’d like to try and get a bit more curve on the outer bezel corners.

6 Likes

You can try increasing the global corner size, then reduce the bezel inner corner size.

3 Likes

@astspikey, Your background have an actual image and there are some light variations. This makes it a little difficult to get a good blend with the MegaBezel Shader. I tried playing with it, imitating the Grundig P37. Perhaps if you had a higher resolution image with less lighting variation, you would get even better results.

(World)-220920-225808|690x388](upload://wovWp8israE363dmezXBw3ejNdz.jpeg)

1 Like

I think those variations are from the ambient layers. I am a bit confused as to what’s going on here. Like the brightness on the ambient layer is turned up to 200.

Any chance you can post the contents of your preset @astspikey?

1 Like
#reference "../../../../../shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__1__ADV__GDV.slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_ORIENTATION = "1.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "56.800000"
HSM_SCREEN_VIGNETTE_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_SCREEN_VIGNETTE_STRENGTH = "0.000000"
HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_IMAGE_BRIGHTNESS = "33.000000"
HSM_TUBE_SHADOW_IMAGE_OPACITY = "50.000000"
HSM_TUBE_COLORED_GEL_IMAGE_NORMAL_BRIGHTNESS = "40.000000"
HSM_TUBE_STATIC_REFLECTION_IMAGE_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_TUBE_STATIC_REFLECTION_IMAGE_OPACITY = "34.800018"
HSM_TUBE_STATIC_OPACITY_DIFFUSE_MULTIPLY = "100.000000"
HSM_TUBE_STATIC_BLACK_LEVEL = "9.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "400.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_THICKNESS = "500.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_THICKNESS_X_SCALE = "110.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "173.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "126.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "300.000000"
HSM_BZL_NOISE = "10.000000"
HSM_BZL_BLEND_MODE = "3.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "100.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "100.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CURVATURE_SCALE = "120.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "220.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "200.000000"
HSM_BZL_OPACITY = "70.000000"
HSM_BZL_OUTER_CURVATURE_SCALE = "140.000000"
HSM_BZL_OUTER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "250.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_LONG_AXIS = "120.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_SHORT_AXIS = "150.000000"
HSM_FRM_NOISE = "10.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_VALUE = "14.999995"
HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "10.000000"
HSM_FRM_THICKNESS = "15.000000"
HSM_FRM_OUTER_EDGE_SHADING = "40.000000"
HSM_FRM_SHADOW_WIDTH = "50.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_INNER_SPREAD = "590.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_ROTATION_OFFSET_TOP = "-1.500000"
HSM_VIEWPORT_VIGNETTE_LAYER_ORDER = "8.000000"
HSM_BG_SATURATION = "80.000000"
HSM_BG_GAMMA = "0.900000"
HSM_BG_SOURCE_MATTE_TYPE = "1.000000"
HSM_BG_SCALE_KEEP_ASPECT = "0.000000"
HSM_BG_FILL_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_BG_MIRROR_WRAP = "0.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_SATURATION = "85.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_BRIGHTNESS = "90.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_GAMMA = "0.800000"
HSM_DEVICE_SCALE = "146.200000"
HSM_AMBIENT_LIGHTING_OPACITY = "100.000000"
IntroImage = "../../../Graphics/_Backgrounds/Duimon_OSD.png"
TubeDiffuseImage = "../../../Graphics/TV/Gphosphor.png"
TubeStaticReflectionImage = "../../../Graphics/TV/GTV6_Reflection.png"
BackgroundImage = "../../../Graphics/TV/GTV6_Alt_Background.jpg"
DeviceImage = "../../../Graphics/TV/GTV6.png"
1 Like

Here’s a compressed jpeg of my TV layer

The lighting variation is probably the gradient tool layer I used on the TV plastic. The master is pretty high rez, I could redo it two colors that are closer in tone / light

Here’s a pic of how it’s looking after parameter changes from original (as above in the preset code)

3 Likes

I think part of the issue is the use of a camera for the shot. (Automatic adjustments.)

You can press “F8” to get a GPU screenshot.

Looks good! It will look better with your background. (Some kind of drop shadow would help.)

BTW you can select all your preset code, and press the “Preformatted text” </> button.

or just prefix and append a “tick” (above the Tilda) to your code text.

I don’t see that you’ve done anything weird to the preset.

I would honestly recommend starting with a daylight preset. You can turn off the lights later.

(Change HSM_AMBIENT_LIGHTING_OPACITY = “100.000000”

to

HSM_AMBIENT_LIGHTING_OPACITY = “0.000000”)

I’d also like to add…

…as much as I enjoy being one of the few contributors to the Mega Bezel project, it was never the intent that a chosen few artists would be the only users that made presets.

What the Mega Bezel really needs is users “using” it.

These tools are intended for the masses! :wink:

Keep up the good work. :grin:

One more thing.

My TV6 preset doesn’t have an LED. Take a look at my TV5 preset and graphics for an example of getting your LED to glow with the lights out.

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

Maybe we should split this and start a “Building Mega Bezel presets” thread??

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s probably a good idea :smile:

1 Like

I split my TV out from the background into a “Device” layer. When I load the shader, there are white bars on the top and sides that I can’t eliminate.

I’ve tried cropping the image down by several hundred pixels, and the problem seems to get worse. In this screenshot, I’ve tested it with the TV shape, and just a Black fill. I can’t understand why the lines are still appearing.

Could it be something in the shader parameters causing the problem?

3 Likes

Try changing the Device Layer “Source Matte Color” from the default black to white.

Alternatively you can try replacing the transparency in your graphic with 99% transparent black. This will guarantee that the matte color matches the default.

1 Like

Perfect, Thanks for that, I’d have never worked that out!

3 Likes