CG Shaders gone/not working on v1.9.1

Just want to say a big thank you for being so kind enough to share your compiled exe with us compiling noobs. I tried compiling myself but CG support wasn’t enabled. I tried copying and pasting the command you posted to install the package then just proceeded to make the exe but it still didn’t have CG enabled. I’m not sure if it’s because I didn’t start all over from the beginning again or due to the missing dlls. I’m not even sure where those dlls need to be. Is it somewhere in the retroarch compilation tree or in the output retroarch directory?

I totally can understand how you feel when you say

I tried using Guest shaders as well as Mega Bezel (which I actually love) but so far I couldn’t get it even close to the “Death to Pixels” preset I was using which uses the Analog Shader Pack 3.0. I couldn’t even get it to look as good as the Radeon compatible alternative version I made, which is based on the “Boob Tube” minus the curvature and some other tweaks.

What I got with the Guest and Mega Bezel looked decent but the text seemed really low res compared to the “Death to Pixels” cgp preset. Maybe someday I’ll continue tweaking the modern stuff to get it to match the old stuff but if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Well i’m total noob too. My main goal was to correctly install the “MSYS2 environment”. Because first time i could not even get a normal .exe to be compiled. My first mistake was not to fully install “Step 7” from MSYS2 , where i copied the dollar sign “$” and the command line didn’t get through. My second mistake was, i had a Windows-User in different language that caused pathing problems. Those .dlls you have to put in your working Retroarch Folder after placing there CG-enabled .exe
That command line i mentioned is for downloading and installing x64 version of nvidia-cg-toolkit in MSYS2. Because the user sonninnos posted above the wrong name for x64 version. With that command you will automatically download and install the correct x64 nvidia-cg-toolkit.

1 Like

Would you believe right after I posted this I went over to the HSM Mega Bezel Thread and saw some awesome looking stuff? I downloaded the latest version then tried this from the variations presets folder: “Newpixie-Clone_Smoothed_Rolling-Scanlines__STD__GDV”. I loved what I saw! I found the rolling scanlines to be a bit distracting because to me you’re not supposed to be able to “see” those CRT anomalies unless you specifically stare at the screen but I could really appreciate the concept behind it. The curve is something I might also want to disable because my brain doesn’t seem to agree with curved scrolling and that’s simple to do. Then I switched my attention to the Experimental\BendBombBoom Presets folder and I tried the “BendBombBoom__Aperture-Soft__Mask-1” preset and it was like Wow! I’ve finally found something that can replace the “Death to Pixels” preset I had been using in the Analog Shader Pack 3.0! I also briefly sampled “Smoothed-ScaleFX_Horz_Only__STD” and “Smoothed-ScaleFX_Antialias” and they both looked beautiful. But for now I think I’m sticking with the “BendBombBoom__Aperture-Soft__Mask-1” preset.

You can get them here at:

3 Likes

I think BBB was trying to go for that look intentionally with a more modern shader implementation iirc.

2 Likes

Seems like they nailed it! The look that is, while not identical it seems like an awesome alternative and variation that’s in a similar league. I can’t yet pick one over the other. It just makes we want to relive all my games over using this new look. It’s a little sharper while maintaining great blending and control over aliasing. Great work! They should sticky it or make it a standard preset available to all.

1 Like

Actually, I remember what he was doing… I think?

Well anyway, iirc chat was trying to make dotty pixel CRT preset, well just trying to make a dotty pixel setup in general tbh.

Might be mixing things up tho, couple years of chat go brrr and blend :joy:

Btw, should be pretty easy to blur that preset up a little if it’s too sharp for your tastes.

1 Like

Thanks, not that I’m complaining about it in anyway though but what setting do you suggest I try to increase softness without causing any clipping? I tried increasing halation but that seemed to clip some of the brighter colours a bit.

1 Like

Should be some sharpness settings two to be exact. I can’t remember the exact labels for them.

1 Like

That’s great you found something that you can replace the “Death to Pixels” preset from the cg analogue shader pack! :slight_smile:

About softening the image, there are a couple options

• Adjust Downsample Blur
  • Adjust Sharpness settings in the Guest-DrVenom settings
  • Turn on and adjust GTU
  • If you ever want a sharper picture you can increase the core sampling res parameters
3 Likes

Thanks! I was being dumb and a potato, and couldn’t remember the names/wouldn’t look them up :joy:.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’m now reading this but I spent quite some time since my last post tweaking shader parameters using lots of trial and error. I used “Newpixie-Clone_Smoothed_Rolling-Scanlines__STD__GDV.slangp” as my starting point this time.

I’m going to post what I came up with for those who’re missing their old CG shaders here to have something suitable enough that they might be able to finally say goodbye to the “Death to Pixels.cgp” Analog Shader Pack 3.0 preset like I’m able to now. The screenshots are only going to tell a part of the story because there’s a lot of subtle movement going on in these presets.

I recommend using Arcade - Sharp for arcade games, Composite - Pure for NES and similar systems and Composite - Sharp for the 16-bit era systems and everything else.

With that said, for the best viewing experience of these screenshots I suggest you right click on the image then click, “Open link in new tab”, “Open link in new window” or “Open image in new tab”.

Then click on the new window or tab and press the F11 key for a fullscreen view.

This also works when viewing the albums on imgur.

[Updated 1/11/21]

Presets are updated. Screenshots and video clips are not.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Sharp)

Note: Please download and loop video clips when playing for optimal viewing quality and experience.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__2__STD__GDV.slangp"

g_cntrst = "0.500000"
GDV_AFTERGLOW_THRESHOLD = "7.5"
// BP = "16"
glow = "0.050000"
SIZEH = "7.000000"
SIGMA_H = "2.300000"
halation = "0.250000"
h_sharp = "1.000003"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "0.4"
maskDark = "1.000000"
GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "1.000000"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
deconrry = "1.000000"
deconrby = "-1.000000"
beam_min = "1.000000"
beam_size = "0.000000"
vertmask = "1.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "600.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_RES = "240.000000"
MDAPT_MODE = "2.00000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "-1.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_ROLL = "0.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "1600.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "70.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "60.000000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
g_hue_degrees = "0.000000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "1.000000"
SHARPEN_ON = "1.000000"
SHARPEN = "0.250000"
CONTR = "0.090000"
g_sat = "0.000000"
GTU_ON = "1.000000"
compositeConnection = "1.000000"
signalResolutionI = "304.000000"
signalResolutionQ = "261.000000"
spike = "2.000000"
gamma_c = "1.640000"
deconsmooth = "1.000000"
addnoised = "0.140000"

Note: If you’re using Higan or BSNES, the resolution setting in the core options can influence how your final image looks in terms of sharpness and softness. In games that you might prefer a crisper, sharper look for example Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart, you can try switching it to 512 x 224. Conversely in games that use dithering to create extra colours for example U.N. Squadron and TMNT: Turtles In Time and Final Fight, 256 x 224 might be the better choice. You can save your choice in Quick Menu…Options…Manage Core Options and save per game.

The following 2 video clips show my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Sharp) preset combined with the built-in Blargg NTSC Composite filter in the Genesis Plus GX core.

https://mega.nz/file/kYxySCKI#szeKGsQbg5YWFIJMooKw7WG5t-85uBhWxnQQUjNnoCo

https://mega.nz/file/ZUwUhAqL#G7JGAiWbhItVWvsU41peplF6ND-HIkMgswHo3n-BozA

This next one’s for the CRT purists like @Nesguy, @Brainbin74, @Duimon and even myself sometimes when I’m feeling for that extra bit of nostalgia.

Note: This preset needs the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp” preset to be in the same “…\Retroarch\Shaders” folder for it to work.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Pure)

Note: Please download and loop video clip for optimal viewing quality and experience.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp"
halation = "0.150000"
h_sharp = "5.000000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "0.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "0.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "0.000000"
g_hue_degrees = "4.000000"
signalResolutionI = "83.000000"
signalResolutionQ = "145.000000"
g_sat = "0.050000"
addnoised = "0.200000"

If you’re also looking for the infamous " Rainbow effect" you can use my presets above and also enable Blargg’s NTSC Composite filter in the Genesis Plus GX Core Options. It might even work with my Composite - Pure preset as well but I haven’t tested it yet.

What I’ve noticed is that once the Blargg NTSC Composite Filter is enabled and used in conjunction with my Composite - Sharp preset, dithering based transparencies also work fine, whereas without the Blargg filter set to composite that particular preset didn’t do the transparency effects properly. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this next preset. It’s not a one size fits all solution as it can cause some artifacts due to false positives in certain games but when it works, it works beautifully!

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Blending and Transparency Edition)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Blending and Transparency Edition.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp"
MDAPT_MODE = "3.000000"

Note: This preset needs the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp” preset to be in the same “…\Retroarch\Shaders” folder for it to work.

So now you can get the best of both worlds. Extra colours, transparency effects and the rainbow effect without blurry graphics as if Vaseline was smeared all over the screen.

My next mission is to test this combination out with my Composite - Pure preset and also to test it with the global Blargg NTSC Filter in the main RetroArch settings to see if it works the same way!

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Arcade - Sharp)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Arcade Sharp.slangp

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__2__STD__GDV.slangp"

g_cntrst = "0.500000"
GDV_AFTERGLOW_THRESHOLD = "7.5"
// BP = "16"
glow = "0.050000"
SIZEH = "7.000000"
SIGMA_H = "2.300000"
halation = "0.200000"
h_sharp = "3.000001"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "0.4"
maskDark = "1.000000"
GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "1.000000"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
deconrry = "1.000000"
deconrby = "-1.000000"
beam_min = "1.000000"
beam_size = "0.000000"
vertmask = "1.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "600.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_RES = "240.000000"
MDAPT_MODE = "2.00000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "-1.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_ROLL = "0.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "1600.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "100.000000"
g_hue_degrees = "4.000000"
spike = "2.000000"
gamma_c = "1.460000"
deconsmooth = "1.000000"
addnoised = "0.120000"

For lower end systems, you can replace the Base CRT Preset reference shader line with this:

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-EXTRA-PASSES__GDV.slangp"

Thanks again to all who made this possible!

Click the link below to download

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 31-10-21.zip

2 Likes

Here are some examples from the latest updates to my presets.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Arcade & Composite - Sharp) - 15-09-21

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Created with:

and:

1 Like

Made a new one with latest Build 1.9.10 64bit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5k2sfFmyKeUKI6o5ORPpqal6XQD6v7z/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

Thanks for fighting the good fight still! By the way, have you tried the presets I’ve posted above?

So cyber you’re telling me to try pure composite? Or sharp? I copy the shader parameters here? I’m getting confused… And the 1.9.1 update not needed for me.

1 Like

You can try all of them if you wish. I decided to take full advantage of the Simple Presets feature for the Composite - Pure preset therefore it references the Composite - Sharp preset.

So you need to have both in the same folder and named with the same matching filenames I suggested above the code for them to work.

So copy and paste the code for “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Sharp.slangp” into a text file and save it as that in the “…\RetroArch\Shaders” folder.

Then copy and paste the code for “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp” and save it as that in the same “…\RetroArch\Shaders” folder.

Make sure they are in the same folder and you have RetroArch 1.9.8 or higher with the latest HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader installed.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. I could have created a standalone preset for the Composite - Pure setting like I did for the Composite - Sharp and Arcade - Sharp preset but I just thought that this would be more efficient and I wanted my presets to be together like a family.

Of course not. That is a special build of 1.9.10 64 bit posted here. I didn’t expect you to come to this thread but I also put my presets here for the readers of this topic to benefit.

Thank you for this, and thank you to @sonninnos for encouraging me to give it a go myself! Teach a man to fish and all that.

I made a set of shader presets that I spent a lot of time on and am rather fond of, but they’re in .cgp format so it’s been a concern for me for quite some time now. I was able to fumble my way through compiling and have it working great in 1.9.13 now. I’ve attached it for anyone interested. I’ve also included my shader pack for anyone interested in that. I can only post two links and one image as this is my first post but you can find a larger gallery of various presets from the pack in “The Big Ol’ Retroarch Shader Thread” on the Launchbox forums.

1.9.13 + cg support: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vz5gFzoC4LAqzPLgFG9WZpYTWu9U8KXO/view?usp=sharing

Zomb’s Shaders 11/7/2021: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p1OeeMkcQWhHvYCA8-qHAhMnfrMVl1OT/view?usp=sharing

6 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Zombeaver. Being a Launchbox user myself, I was introduced to your shaders long ago (or seems like long ago) when I first started using Retroarch :star_struck:

3 Likes

Glad to hear it :grin: I still tinker with it from time to time. I’m just glad I don’t have to hang on to an old version of retroarch to do that/continue using it now.

Hopefully it’ll eventually be added back in to the standard releases. It was mentioned that they wanted to do this as recently as the 1.9.12 blog post. If I can figure out how to do it - and I’ve never used MSYS2 / compiled anything until yesterday - I’m sure they can. I realize this is probably considered fairly niche / low priority at this point but it is something that’s important to me.

1 Like

Also, I just realized that I packaged the shader set incorrectly (sorry, been a while) - the contents of the 7z are supposed to be in a folder named Zomb’s Shaders, placed in Retroarch’s shaders folder. I can’t seem to edit that post (I guess because I’m new).

2 Likes