Chromebook and Lakka?

Hello Everyone. I know there have been several previous threads regarding Chromebooks/Boxes and Lakka, but none so far correctly address what I’m trying to do (some also just kind of end in cliffhangers). Other threads I have checked but have not helped entirely are:

My problem is most similar to the 3rd thread.

GOAL: To create a Lakka USB stick that can be used both on my Windows 10 desktop (Intel NUC) and my Acer C720 Chromebook (32 GB SSD, i3 Processor 4005U, 4 GB RAM and Intel HD 4400 graphics). It’s this model:

CURRENT STATUS: I’ve successfully made a Lakka USB stick using the x86 image and it works just fine on my desktop. Being that the chromebook also uses a 64-bit processor, I thought the same stick should work here, but it doesn’t. A redditor suggested it is because the Syslinux version (6.03) is not compatible with my Chromebook’s SeaBIOS, but I don’t know how to install 6.04-pre1.

Here’s what actually happens when I put in the USB in my Chromebook: I insert the USB, power on the Chromebook, press ctrl+L to enter legacy boot, see the SeaBIOS start up and then load the Lakka start up, see the Lakka symbol and the “Install/Live” two-option start, it’s on the live start option by default, time runs out and the screen goes black and restarts, bringing me back to Chrome OS’s re-enable screen.

If I press “tab” and then delete the “quiet” option, I see “Loading Kernel… OK” and then the screen cuts to black and it restarts.

I am confused because it works fine on another x86 system, and because I’ve read several forums where other Chromebook/Box users have no issues whatsoever.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a stick for both my desktop and Chrombook?

Thank you very much.

It is related to this issue. We need to update syslinux to 6.04-pre1.

gouchi, thank you very much. Will using a nightly help at this point, or should I just wait for the next stable release?

Thanks again.

As the issue is not closed we didn’t update it yet.

You mean this will work on a Chromebox with SysLinux 6.03 BIOS (i.e. the Mr Chromebox BIOS that you obtain when you hack it to run Linux?)

“Syslinux 6.0.x doesn’t boot at all (use 5.10 or 6.04-pre1).”

Source

It works! A little buggy and some quirks to work out (PSX doesn’t have any sound on ANY cores at all, with BIOS installed, some cores crash the system, etc.), but it actually WORKS! does a little happy dance From Live USB no less!