Crt pc monitor + shader

I m about to get a crt pc monitor Eizo F77s https://www.quantelectronic.de/Monitore/CRT-Bildschirm/CRT-ab-21/21-CRT-Monitor-Eizo-FlexScan-F77S-110kHz-160Hz-BNC-i60_16730.htm

What shaders would give the best result (scanlines and the works) for 240p & 480i emulation ?

Thanks in advance!

I recommend setting a custom resolution of 3840x480 (or 1920x480 if the other one doesn’t work) and then use the interlacing shader from the ‘misc’ directory running at 2x scale with integer scaling and custom aspect ratio with whatever width fills the screen.

The ultra-wide aspect lets you run (almost) any horizontal (that is, not TATE) game without any horizontal “shimmering”, and the interlacing shader draws black masks over half of the lines on non-interlaced content and alternates between fields on interlaced (480i) content.

If you don’t care about interlaced content, you can actually drive the monitor at 240p by doubling the refresh rate and using the “black frame insertion” option to effectively drop it back down to 60 Hz and use no shaders at all.

Both options look almost identical, so I prefer the first one because it 1.) handles interlaced content properly and 2.) is easier to create the custom resolutions, since it’s already 31 kHz (i.e., no need to mess with the refresh rate).

Here’s what the result looks like:

If you want things like pseudo-transparency to work, you can add the ‘tvout-tweaks’ shader from the crt directory (put it before the interlacing shader), and/or if you want a grungier, more nostalgic look, you can run one of the NTSC shaders first.

Monroe88 made a lot of presets that apply many of these shaders. You can also use the sgb and gba player shaders to run gameboy and GBA games at native res with borders.

2 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed answer! I will pick it up later today and hopefully it will be in good shape to mess with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Reading a lot of these posts, and I get the impression that there is far more versatility with this kind of setup when using a CRT “Monitor” rather than a CRT “Consumer TV”, correct?

The big difference is that it’s just easier to get a working signal from a PC to a monitor than to an old TV. Most of the ways you would get a compatible signal into a TV (old video card with svideo output, etc) involve hardcoded, relatively small horizontal resolutions (usually 720x480i), which means you’re gonna have weird aspect ratio issues and/or pixel warping/shimmering.

The only real “problem” with using a monitor instead is how sharp and crisp the image is. Some folks are turned off by the massive black gaps between the scanlines and the ultra-sharp pixels.

1 Like

There are many advantages and negatives sides of using a pc monitor. The biggest problem is the sound output which will require a pc or a monitor with a audio jack (dunno if that exist but it should).

you mean the image is sharper on a pc screen ? … if so I m rescued by a thing called “moire reduction” which blurs the screen :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, a lot of people expect the image to be much softer on a CRT, but they’re really thinking of the relative crumminess of a CRT TV vs a CRT PC monitor, which is super-sharp. This is a result of many factors, including lines of resolution and phosphor pitch.

I was going to go the CRT PC monitor route for the nostalgia but after much research and YouTube videos, they just wouldn’t give the same look as a TV I grew up with.

I found a 27 inch tv on the side of the road with a component input, picked up a 4650 card for 20 dollars and I run Retroarch with a super resolution with Calamity’s CRTemudriver…and it’s off the hook. Yes it is harder to get a picture to the TV and much easier to a CRT PC monitor… but it’s to the point of since doing this I want to ditch running systems from Atari up to GC on my HTPC hooked to my Plasma and use the CRT. No input lag, no fiddling with shaders anymore, just the raw pixels and the CRT doing the rest.

I never been lucky to get a tv with decent geometry that’s why I ve stopped using crt tv for retro games. Is it true that small crt tvs have very good geometry ?(around 14 inches)

Are you talking about overscan and that sort of stuff? If you are, make sure you have a remote for your TV and find your TV’s service menu PDF online. That’s easily fixable.

I m talking about deformed image

Hmmmm…The only adjustments I’ve ever had to do is overscan on 1 out of 4 CRT TV’s I’ve picked up. Guess I’ve been lucky with the factory settings?

So I m pretty content with the crt monitor (big thanks to hunterk for helping me).

Running via 1pc/2gpu cards/managed to run full screen frontends also without having the crt as primary monitor :slight_smile:

On the down side, I could do with some vertical breakout (or whatever is called :stuck_out_tongue: ) plus some games like Hellfire (pic bellow) do not scale properly the scanlines

Any help would be much appreciated!

If the scanlines aren’t even, it means the image is getting stretched. Make sure it’s set to 1x (or 2x if you’re using 480p+interlacing shader) with integer scaling. You might also have to mess with overscan and/or first/last scanline settings on some cores to get them even. It’s a bit of a trial-and-error process.

Tried to mess with all the settings I could find but nothing works. I m using tvout+interlacing Maybe is the game

Also for people trying to run frontends/games on the second monitor without changing to primary the second one use “Actual Multiple Monitors”.

What do you mean by “actual multiple monitors”?

I have a 2 screen setup and my CRT is my second screen, but this stuff always loads on my primary.

this https://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/

Currently testing shaders on the monitor and it looks damn good using crt royale (too bad the picture can’t fit the screen properly. It can actually using vertical overscan adj from the shader but that tearing …:frowning: . The way the crt handles the colour/contrast leveks is really impressive tho

phone camera :confused: doesn’t do justice to the actual output but still…

2 Likes

ha, that’s weird! looks good, but I can’t tell what’s the shader and what’s the monitor :stuck_out_tongue: