Crt-Royale Kurozumi Edition Help

Ahhh ok! thanks for the detailed explanation, hunterk.

Found this thread some minutes ago and read, that some of you guys have problems with the performance with my settings. I got that, too, i helped myself with creating a profile in the graphics driver (in my case nvidia) for the retroarch.exe. Just disable the adaptive clock rate and force it to maximum performance. Everytime my gpu changed the clock rates it got laggy or was stuttering, the workaround with the profile fixed all of that. I also forced 16xQ CSAA , which gave the nicest looking results, at least on my PC screen and my TV.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey man, welcome! Youā€™ve found some great settings, so thanks for sharing them :slight_smile:

Interesting, never knew whether anti-aliasing or mip-mapping settings in nvidia drivers would have any effect on RA shaders or not.

Youā€™re welcome, it makes me actually happy that others like them. It was more of a happy accident, me trying the most on the fly editable crt shader i could find. Putting a BVM in my living room wasnā€™t an option, and i kinda hate the typical ā€œfake scanline lookā€ with the dark horizontal lines in it. Hyllian was much nicer for myself, but somehow it wasnā€™t enough for me. Later i accidently saw royale and thought, if it can do all kinds of crt styles, maybe it can do HR trinitrons, too. I went kinda OCD with it (i tried different settings for about 4 months, until i posted my first settings), just because i wanted that look really badly. Somehow it worked outā€¦

At least using a non integer scale, it helps alot to avoid that weird ā€œwavyā€ effectā€¦

Kurozumi I wish to say thanks for your great modification of the Royale shader, I love the way it looks. I was hoping that you might able to help with an issue I am having though. Since moving from a 1080 to 1440 resolution monitor I noticed in the PlayStation ad FBA cores I get weird horizontal lines. These lines do not exist on the 240 systems like SNES and Genesis. I have tried with iteger scaling on and off. I can get the lines to disappear if I set a custom resolution and drop it down to 1600x1200. I was wondering if there was a better solution by any chance. Here is a picture showing the issue.

The problem is that your vertical resolution is not an even integer. For Symphony of the Night specifically, in:

[b]:\config\Mednafen PSX[/b]

Create a <sotn iso name>.opt file with:

beetle_psx_widescreen_hack = "disabled"
beetle_psx_internal_resolution = "1x(native)"
beetle_psx_initial_scanline = "20"
beetle_psx_last_scanline = "226"

And a .cfg file with:

aspect_ratio_index = "22"
video_aspect_ratio = "1.45833333333333"

# maximum integer scaling at 1440p
custom_viewport_width = "1811"
custom_viewport_height = "1242"
custom_viewport_x = "374"
custom_viewport_y = "99"

video_crop_overscan = "false"
video_scale_integer = "false"

Be sure to have these options set in RetroArch: Configuration Per-Core: OFF User per-game core options if available: ON Load override files automatically: ON

Now when you load up the game it should look correct. Thatā€™s probably not the default Kurozumi config in the screenshot, but you should be able to see that the problem is fixed.

1 Like

K, thanks.

A more universal solution, but less correct for SotN. (both can co-exist)

[b]:\config\Mednafen PSX[/b]

Mednafen PSX.opt

beetle_psx_initial_scanline = "0"
beetle_psx_initial_scanline_pal = "0"
beetle_psx_last_scanline = "239"
beetle_psx_last_scanline_pal = "287"

Mednafen PSX.cfg

aspect_ratio_index = "21"
video_crop_overscan = "false"
video_scale_integer = "true"
1 Like

larchā€¦ would you mind sharing that config in the screenshot? Iā€™d appreciate it.

I just checked and itā€™s the default config posted here with my own gamma settings.

crt_gamma = "2.350000"
lcd_gamma = "1.96078431372549"

I loaded that up because I figured itā€™d be closest to lordmonkusā€™ screenshot - not the config I normally use - but I guess his is modified.

Thatā€™s the config I use.

Thanks. Iā€™d be curious to see the config you normally use if you ever wanted to share it.

Ok, so using the latest 1.3.4 nightly build and a fresh download of the shaders I loaded up CRT-Royale and using the RA menu to tweak the shader settings copying Kurozumis from the shmups forum post I found which line exactly is causing the lines. The line mask_specify_num_triads = ā€œ1.000000ā€ is the culprit, if I leave this set to ā€œ0ā€ it gets rid of the lines.

Iā€™m just posting here to say that I find Kurozumiā€™s settings for CRT-Royale absolutely amazing, they are the best CRT settings Iā€™ve ever seen. Thanks a lot for that (and thanks to the person who made CRT-Royale too). :slight_smile:

Does that affect anything else? If not, Iā€™ll remove it from the kurozumi cgp.

Doesnā€™t it remove the subpixels?

edit: it breaks the scanlines continuity and make everything like subpixels (dots) here in 1080p if set to 0. So donā€™t change it!

[QUOTE=hunterk;39255]Does that affect anything else? If not, Iā€™ll remove it from the kurozumi cgp.[/QUOTE]Let me check this first. I suspect thereā€™s another issue here.

Something is wrong with lordmonkusā€™ config. Loading the latest :\shaders\shaders_cg\cgp\crt-royale-kurozumi.cgp is working as intended here. [ul] [li]mask_specify_num_triads = ā€œ1.000000ā€[/li][li]mask_specify_num_triads = ā€œ0.000000ā€[/li][/ul]

I did not realize there was a separate Kurozumi edit of Royale tucked away. I was just loading CRT-Royale from the crt folder and editing the values to be that of Kurozumis post on the shmups forum post. Now that I found the crt-royale-kurozumi.cgp I loaded that and I still get the funky lines like in the screenshot I posted previously. Changing the triads line from 1.0 to 0.0 does remove the line but I have no idea if or what it is breaking because when it comes to this shader stuff I am a total noob. I have no clue what all of it means but it looks good to me but if it can look better then I would love to have it better. Here are 2 screenshots so you can see the difference, no clue how to post small thumbnails, sorry.

With triads set to 0.0 http://i.imgur.com/QdNgMDy.png Default Kurozumi triads set to 1.0 http://i.imgur.com/0Ny0yZ0.png

Edit: Those screens are with the aspect ratio set to core and integer scaling set to on. If I change the aspect to 6:5 or 8:7 it fixes the funkiness but leaving it at core or 4:3 it has the lines.