Crt-Royale Kurozumi Edition Help

Specify num triads enables you to set the TV lines. If the display resolution is high enough to display the aperture grille, but too low to to display every line of the aperture grille, you get the funky look. Try to set specify num triads to 1, and then raise the line count (num triads desired) . Try a high value 1100, 1200 or your display resolution 1440. If num triads desired is high enough, your display funkiness should be gone :slight_smile:

Edit: To answer the question with the mask_specify_num_triads, of course you need it on enabled (1),otherwise you aren’t able to get any BVM-like look, cause these kinds of screens have almost double the TV-lines than normal CRTs…

1 Like

Dude, if I were close to you right now I would give you a big sloppy wet kiss. That fixed it perfectly, thank you again for this awesome preset.

Edit: I went straight for the 1440 and BAM!!

I wonder if the default should be:

mask_triad_size_desired = "1.000000"
mask_num_triads_desired = "1920.000000"

This should ensure that it looks the same regardless of your display’s resolution.

[QUOTE=larch1991;39337]I wonder if the default should be:

mask_triad_size_desired = "1.000000"
mask_num_triads_desired = "1920.000000"

This should ensure that it looks the same regardless of your display’s resolution.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it doesn’t exactly, that’s why i didn’t do it. The problem is, at that high TV Line count we are simulating (mask num triads), Full HD isn’t enough to show the full thing whats going on at the BVMs. If you look at your screenshot of SOTN and look at the top left on the red heart, you can see some “graininess” going on in there. On 4k or 5k Resolution you should be able to see the TV lines/aperture grille going on in there. Of course, on lower resolution Screens it shouldn’t make much difference, if any. But i couldn’t confirm it yet, since i do not have a 4K TV / PC screen with that high of a resolution. As i said, the difference should be in the tiny tiny details :wink: , so 1920 vs 800/900/1000 num_desired_triads should look different on hi-res panels!

1 Like

Kurozumi, would you recommend me sticking with 1440 or dropping it down til I run into the graphic issues I was showing earlier ? Is there a benefit to going lower than the 1440 since my monitor is 1440 ?

1 Like

Try it, highest resolution i have expierence with is 1200, the only thing you could end with is a funky looking shader, if it happens, turn it back . As for trying it, always try out whats possible, otherwise we wouldn’t find awesome shader settings thumbs up!

1 Like

K, I will try lowering the setting and see what happens. I was mainly just wondering if going lower actually had any benefit.

On a side note, do you think you are finally done with this shader and do you have any plans on making / tweaking any others ?

Edit: I just did some quick tests of changing the “mask_num_triads_desired” parameter and any value from 890-904 caused the funky graphic issues I posted about previously. Below 890 (the few values I did try) and above 904 removed the problem. To me there was no visible difference than having it at 1440, 905 or 889.

Again, I am no shader expert at all, I simply try what’s in front of me and use what looks good to me.

Uhm, i think i’m pretty done with it, since i originally did it to please myself. I always try parameters like a madman, but since i posted the last settings on shmups forum, i wasn’t able to get it better without breaking other thing/making it unauthentic looking. As you have seen, i even just found some good settings for 4:3, otherwise it wouldn’t be broken with another aspect. But since there’s always room for improvement, i guess i’m always trying to get it better. The thing that really bugs me, have you tried a game which runs in vertical/tate mode? That looks insanely broken (on all CRT-royales if i recall correctly).

Since the BVMs do my favorite scanlines, i didn’t try other settings, but i really would like to do one for the Cube PVM (2950Q) or a Trinitron, i guess i just like the aperture grille look in general. But the setting i wrote down for that looks somehow really stupid…

1 Like

Thanks for the response, I was just curious and maybe even hoping to be looking forward to better things, lol. The only systems that seemed to cause this issue at all to begin with was the PS1 and the FBA cores. Genesis, SNES, NES, TG-16 all worked just fine with the default.

Doing a quick test with Dimahoo, a vertical shooter and Alien vs Predator using the FBA core and your default shader did show the funky lines in AVP but Dimahoo looked fine with integer scaling on and off. I also tested the Playstation port of DoDonPachi which is vertical and it had the same graphical issues.

Re: vertical games, they’ll look bad on RA’s MAME cores, which don’t actually rotate the video (that is, scanlines will still be running horizontal instead of rotating to be vertical). FBA should rotate properly, though.

Yeah I don’t use the Mame core at all. I use stand alone Mame for the bulk of my arcade emulation or if I do use Retroarch for an arcade game it will be through FBA.

Hi,

Sorry I know it’s not the good thread for that but with FBA I can’t load some neogeo games like “metal slug 2” , and others … and he no had “Tab-key” menu like mame

I connected my laptop with a 1280x1024 (4:3) 19" tft monitor. Now it looks like a VERY high quality CRT monitor

Some more screenshots, especially the blazing stars (last one) screen is incredible

@scorpius.milo

Check your bios. Are you using UniBios 3.1 ? I was using RA 1.3.2 with UniBios 3.1 perfectly fine but I recently switched back to using Mame for my NeoGeo stuff. But as a test because of your post I tried loading some games on 1.3.4 and nothing worked and after some messing about I fixed the issue by going back to UniBios 3.0. Overall I found Mame has just a tad more compatibility. A couple of games (2 or 3) in my collection did not like FBA core but Mame was fine with them.

MAME with HLSL looks incredible in my 19" TFT 1280x1024 monitor too, except that this RA shader looks like a VERY HIGH quality professional CRT monitor, HLSL looks more blurry, more cheap but more close to a typical CRT

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;39343]Nope, it doesn’t exactly, that’s why i didn’t do it. The problem is, at that high TV Line count we are simulating (mask num triads), Full HD isn’t enough to show the full thing whats going on at the BVMs. If you look at your screenshot of SOTN and look at the top left on the red heart, you can see some “graininess” going on in there. On 4k or 5k Resolution you should be able to see the TV lines/aperture grille going on in there. Of course, on lower resolution Screens it shouldn’t make much difference, if any. But i couldn’t confirm it yet, since i do not have a 4K TV / PC screen with that high of a resolution. As i said, the difference should be in the tiny tiny details :wink: , so 1920 vs 800/900/1000 num_desired_triads should look different on hi-res panels![/QUOTE]The problem is that the number of triads a display can handle varies depending on its resolution. lordmonkus was having problems at 1440p, and it looks just as bad if not worse at 2160p When creating a preset, I think it’s important to select values that will work universally.

Here are some screenshots taken at 2160p: [ol] [li]900 triads, triad size 3 [/li][li]1920 triads, triad size 1 [/li][li]Shader determines number of triads, triad size 3 [/li][/ol]

#1 is the current preset, which seems to break at a lot of resolutions. #2 is what I initially suggested, since it will ensure that the shader looks the same at all resolutions. #3 allows the shader to determine the optimal number of triads used. This looks best at high resolutions, but means that the virtual display’s resolution is limited by your display’s resolution.

On a 1080p screen, I’d estimate the resolution to be somewhere around 720 TVL for a 1440x1080 image when the shader is allowed to determine the number of triads. If you specify 1920 triads with a size of 1, it’s effectively 1440 TVL. (since you’re using 1440 pixels)

[QUOTE=hunterk;39350]Re: vertical games, they’ll look bad on RA’s MAME cores, which don’t actually rotate the video (that is, scanlines will still be running horizontal instead of rotating to be vertical). FBA should rotate properly, though.[/QUOTE]If you rotate the game in MAME, and use the rotation in RetroArch’s video settings, vertical games work correctly.

[QUOTE=lordmonkus;39374]@scorpius.milo

Check your bios. Are you using UniBios 3.1 ? I was using RA 1.3.2 with UniBios 3.1 perfectly fine but I recently switched back to using Mame for my NeoGeo stuff. But as a test because of your post I tried loading some games on 1.3.4 and nothing worked and after some messing about I fixed the issue by going back to UniBios 3.0. Overall I found Mame has just a tad more compatibility. A couple of games (2 or 3) in my collection did not like FBA core but Mame was fine with them.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Sorry for the time but I’m French

I use UniBios 3.1 too but I don’t know how to use 3.0

If it necessary I can open a new post

Thanks

This is some damn nice settings!!!

Just a few thing, im using a 1440p monitor and would rather no boarder (no integra scaleing) so i can set my custom view point to 1440 and 1920?, as i have notice as soon as i set the x viewpoint to 1920 then i get like coloured lines across the screen, it i change it to 1910 then they disappear, any ideas whats causing that?

Also i have noticed on white text on a black screen that i get a grey outline around the text, it seems that the bloom setting isnt set correctly?

and finally what setting do i need to change to get the scanlines so they are slightly thicker in brighter areas of the screen?

First off let me thank you guys for this discussion, I am actually learning some new stuff here which is always a good thing. Now for another question from me.

Larch1991 for your 3rd screenshot “Shader determines number of triads” what is the setting that allows that ? I modified these lines in my cgp file to what I think it should be but I would just like some confirmation of right or wrong.

mask_specify_num_triads = “0.000000” mask_triad_size_desired = “3.000000” mask_num_triads_desired = “1920.000000”

Am I right in assuming that setting the first line to 0 makes the 3rd line actually do nothing ? I really like the screenshot #3 since it gave it just a tiny bit of “fuzz” to break up the harsh edges just a little. It’s not much but to me it looks just a little bit better.

[QUOTE=lordmonkus;39419]First off let me thank you guys for this discussion, I am actually learning some new stuff here which is always a good thing. Now for another question from me.

Larch1991 for your 3rd screenshot “Shader determines number of triads” what is the setting that allows that ? I modified these lines in my cgp file to what I think it should be but I would just like some confirmation of right or wrong.

mask_specify_num_triads = “0.000000” mask_triad_size_desired = “3.000000” mask_num_triads_desired = “1920.000000”

Am I right in assuming that setting the first line to 0 makes the 3rd line actually do nothing ? I really like the screenshot #3 since it gave it just a tiny bit of “fuzz” to break up the harsh edges just a little. It’s not much but to me it looks just a little bit better.[/QUOTE]Correct. If you set “mask_specify_num_triads” to 0, the shader determines the optimal number of triads to use based on the output resolution, so “mask_num_triads_desired” is not used. If set to 1, then the “mask_num_triads_desired” sets the number of triads.

Personally I think it looks really good at high resolutions, but at 1080p and below I prefer to set the triad number very high so that it doesn’t have such a low resolution appearance. This is what the preset’s default of 900 triads is already doing at 1080p, setting it to 1920 with a size of 1 just ensures it will look like that on all resolution displays.