Crt-Royale Kurozumi Edition Help

Thanks. Yeah I agree with how it looks better. Like I said before it looks like it adds just a little bit of fuzz to break up the harsh edges but not fuzzing it all out making it blurry.

[QUOTE=larch1991;39408]The problem is that the number of triads a display can handle varies depending on its resolution. lordmonkus was having problems at 1440p, and it looks just as bad if not worse at 2160p When creating a preset, I think itā€™s important to select values that will work universally. [ā€¦] [/QUOTE]

Oh boy, thatā€™s a pity, of course, youā€™re right. My goal just was to get it as authentic as possible, and i really hoped 4k was enough to display it correctly, but yeah, if itā€™s a preset for the masses, of course it should work on all the variety of resolutions etc. , that anybody can use it without getting problems at all thumbs up !

But as you got 2160p resolution, iā€™m just corious, does num_triads_desired in half resolution (value 1080) look broken? Edit: Or if that doesnā€™t work, can you post a 2160p screenshot with number of triads 2? Would be nice if thatā€™s possible, thanks!

Edit again: Sorry for editing, but i just realized that larch nailed , what i was trying to say. Has anybody in here seen a BVM performing in reality? If you look really closely on the screens, they basically look this screenshot from larch. If you zoom out of it on a lower res screen it basically looks like my preset:

This one looks FAKE, well at least on 2160p, the bvms were never that artificially smoothā€¦:

The problem with that of course, if you run 1080p or 1200p for example, triad size 3 doesnā€™t look right, because itā€™s way too coarseā€¦ Is it possible to get the number of triads ā€œself adjustingā€, that every resolution gets kinda the right look?

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;39424]Oh boy, thatā€™s a pity, of course, youā€™re right. My goal just was to get it as authentic as possible, and i really hoped 4k was enough to display it correctly, but yeah, if itā€™s a preset for the masses, of course it should work on all the variety of resolutions etc. , that anybody can use it without getting problems at all thumbs up !

But as you got 2160p resolution, iā€™m just corious, does num_triads_desired in half resolution (value 1080) look broken? Edit: Or if that doesnā€™t work, can you post a 2160p screenshot with number of triads 2? Would be nice if thatā€™s possible, thanks![/QUOTE]I tried a bunch of different values and most of them had problems. The only thing that worked if youā€™re trying to lower the apparent resolution is to increase the triad size. 4 seemed to produce a reasonable result, going higher than that just ended up being too low resolution.

Triad Size 3 Triad Size 4

Again, this is not something that Iā€™d change globally for a preset, just something that you might want to tweak if you have a 2160p display.

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;39424]This one looks FAKE, well at least on 2160p, the bvms were never that artificially smoothā€¦:[/quote]Yes, itā€™s smoother than Iā€™d like at 2160p. However I think it looks fine at lower resolutions because your displayā€™s own pixels add a mask to the image.

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;39424]The problem with that of course, if you run 1080p or 1200p for example, triad size 3 doesnā€™t look right, because itā€™s way too coarseā€¦ Is it possible to get the number of triads ā€œself adjustingā€, that every resolution gets kinda the right look?[/QUOTE]I donā€™t think itā€™s really possible at 1200p or lower. Youā€™re limited by the resolution of the display. But again, as the display resolution gets lower, there is less need to add a mask effect via the shader because your display has a visible pixel structure of its own.

[QUOTE=larch1991;39425] [ā€¦] Again, this is not something that Iā€™d change globally for a preset, just something that you might want to tweak if you have a 2160p display.

Yes, itā€™s smoother than Iā€™d like at 2160p. However I think it looks fine at lower resolutions because your displayā€™s own pixels add a mask to the image.

I donā€™t think itā€™s really possible at 1200p or lower. Youā€™re limited by the resolution of the display. But again, as the display resolution gets lower, there is less need to add a mask effect via the shader because your display has a visible pixel structure of its own.[/QUOTE]

I think the best option then is to turn the triad size not specified and to 1 (thats what 1920 is, isnā€™t it?) Yeah, donā€™t get me wrong, or call me weird or wicked (maybe i am?!?), for myself itā€™s just a bit like the Gameboy shader. If you play tetris and throw that thing on, it just looks, like it did back when it was released, thatā€™s the look and it looks right to a lot of people. My whole reason i really hardly tried to get the BVM look(besides i got no space for a giant crt) is, that i can use any digital display, and boom it looks ā€œrightā€ like the GB-shader looks right, just on a huger screen :slight_smile: .

Didnā€™t try it yet, but are the settings on CRT-royale ā€œkurozumi-editionā€ (i feel honored somehow, i really didnā€™t know, that anybody would use/like my settings!) hard-coded/unadjustable? Or is it just CRT-royale with pre set parameters? Because i personally think there are some things that never should be fixed. F.e. geometry, not everyone likes CRT-geometry simulation, not everybody likes that. The same i think about the triads, if i am not possible to get the BVM look on a 4k or 8k screen, because it gets smooth/flat at that detail level, it would miss the whole point, because it looks as wrong, as 50% darkened lines ā€œfake scanlinesā€ look.

My brain is just thinking alot right nowā€¦ :slight_smile:

Perhaps the solution is to have two presets. Once you get to 1440p, letting the shader determine the number of triads to use looks pretty good. (triad size 3) Below 1440p I prefer to set it as high as possible to minimize - but not eliminate - the mask simulation. Reducing the size to 1 and specifying 1920 triads just makes them as small as possible to ensure that this happens.

Oh, and I would also set:

geom_radius = "1024.000000"
geom_view_dist = "1024.000000"

This basically eliminates any distortion from the geometry shader, while leaving it enabled to have the higher level of anti-aliasing applied.

Hm, on 1440p i would go mask size 1, too, thatā€™s way to coarse for the hires BVMs, but it has something to it on itā€™s ownā€¦ I guess one preset with triad Size one does it. Maybe one thatā€™s the usual CRT Royale, just with the parameters set?

It makes me really happy, that you/we have fixed the preset for basically every display resolution/aspect ratio i guess? Thanks for that, i really missed the wood for the trees, i guess! I should try that on the low-res triniton profile i tried to create, maybe that fixes it, too?

Not in the preset but you could conceivably modify the actual shader to have something based on IN.output_size.

[QUOTE=Kurozumi;39432]Hm, on 1440p i would go mask size 1, too, thatā€™s way to coarse for the hires BVMs, but it has something to it on itā€™s ownā€¦[/quote]Yeah, youā€™re not simulating a 900 or 1000 TVL trinitron with a 1440p display, but itā€™s probably in the region of 700-800 TVL. Definitely higher resolution that a 600 TVL PVM.

Hi again guys

I have been doing my research on the shader, compared with a real high quality Sony Trinitron that I have here and this thing looks absolutely stunning. ItĀ“s the ultimate Crt shader to me, and I really like how configurable it is, the overscan controlsā€¦ I love it

IĀ“d need advice on two aspects. First one is how I make this look natural for vertical games. Is the shader rotatable or something? For vertical games iĀ“m using a 5x scale factor on both X and Y axis (can live with the overscan) and integer multiples of the desired resolutions. Looks brilliant now, but not for vertical games. What should I do?

On the other hand IĀ“d need further clarification as to how pero game overrides work. They are needed for MAME as it manages so many different resolutions, and I would need to specify custom viewport on per game overrides, but i cannot get them to work. I donĀ“t know how I sould name the cfg folders and the files.

@fogueman: Yeah Iā€™m not sure why there is no vertical or flip option in CRT-Royaleā€¦ unless there is some way to do it that isnā€™t obvious to me, I donā€™t think you can. Someone should definitely make that an option, thoughā€¦ for arcade games that had tated displays.

You can use RetroArchā€™s settings > video > rotation option but it doesnā€™t look all that great with this shader.

Thatā€™s for rotating the whole screen for a tated monitor, thoughā€¦ we need to rotate the shader. Iā€™m sure it would be easy just to add rotation option to the actual shader with an on/off option, if you know how to script those shaders.

EDIT: I donā€™t know if it would look good using that method but there is a way if someone knows how.

Heh, itā€™s more complicated than you might expect, even on a simple shader, and crt-royale is definitely not simple.

[QUOTE=fogueman;40059]Hi again guys

I have been doing my research on the shader, compared with a real high quality Sony Trinitron that I have here and this thing looks absolutely stunning. ItĀ“s the ultimate Crt shader to me, and I really like how configurable it is, the overscan controlsā€¦ I love it

IĀ“d need advice on two aspects. First one is how I make this look natural for vertical games. Is the shader rotatable or something? For vertical games iĀ“m using a 5x scale factor on both X and Y axis (can live with the overscan) and integer multiples of the desired resolutions. Looks brilliant now, but not for vertical games. What should I do?

On the other hand IĀ“d need further clarification as to how pero game overrides work. They are needed for MAME as it manages so many different resolutions, and I would need to specify custom viewport on per game overrides, but i cannot get them to work. I donĀ“t know how I sould name the cfg folders and the files.[/QUOTE]

Hereā€™s an example of one of my per-game configs. (Metal Slug 2)

video_shader = ":\shaders\shaders_cg\cgp\crt-royale-kurozumi.cgp"

#  0 is 4:3
#  1 is 16:9
#  7 is 3:2
#  8 is 3:4
# 19 is Config (video_aspect_ratio)
# 20 is 1:1 PAR
# 21 is Core Provided
# 22 is Custom Viewport

aspect_ratio_index = "19"
video_aspect_ratio = "1.4035087719298245614035087719298"

custom_viewport_width = "320"
custom_viewport_height = "224"
custom_viewport_x = "800"
custom_viewport_y = "428"

video_crop_overscan = "true"
video_scale_integer = "false"
video_rotation = "0"

It has to be saved as :\configs<core name><rom name>.cfg e.g. :\configs\MAME\mslug2.cfg

90Ā° games are a pain. The only thing Iā€™ve found to work for those, is to set up both MAME and RetroArch to do 90Ā° rotation, which means creating two config files in different locations.

See below for a better solution to rotate vertical MAME games by default.

Note: on my 1080p screen, the default Kurozumi preset looks really bad when rotated. I have to set all the convergence values to 0 or else I get bad discoloration.

you can do RetroArch\system\mame\ini\vertical.ini

Inside of it: ror 1 (will rotate right 90Ā°) or rol 1 (will rotate left 90Ā°)

Will do it for every vertical games.

Need a solution for the retroarch rotation nowā€¦ (got //video_rotation = ā€œ1ā€ //video_shader = ā€œ:\shaders\02-crt-curved-V.cgpā€ in mame.cfg atm that needs manual activation)

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;40116]you can do RetroArch\system\mame\ini\vertical.ini

Inside of it: ror 1 (will rotate right 90Ā°) or rol 1 (will rotate left 90Ā°)

Will do it for every vertical games.[/quote]That doesnā€™t seem to do anything here. EDIT: In your retroarch-core-options.cfg you need to set mame_read_config = ā€œenabledā€

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;40116]Need a solution for the retroarch rotation nowā€¦ (got //video_rotation = ā€œ1ā€ //video_shader = ā€œ:\shaders\02-crt-curved-V.cgpā€ in mame.cfg atm that needs manual activation)[/QUOTE] :\config\MAME\MAME.cfg should work as long as you have ā€œload override files automaticallyā€ ENABLED and ā€œconfiguration per-coreā€ DISABLED. However that will apply to all games, not just vertical games.

[QUOTE=larch1991;40118] :\config\MAME\MAME.cfg should work as long as you have ā€œload override files automaticallyā€ ENABLED and ā€œconfiguration per-coreā€ DISABLED. However that will apply to all games, not just vertical games.[/QUOTE] Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing, thatā€™s why Iā€™ve got the // to put or remove depending which game orientation Iā€™m playing. It would be awesome to have a working ā€œvertical.cfgā€ there.

Tried it in the last few days on different displays (TV and PC Monitors) with Triad_Size_desired -> 1 ; and Specify Num Triads -> off (0). On all the displays it looked amazingly sharp, thatā€™s really a nice feature! And Since i had 8 different displays here , i calibrated them all to ITU709+BT1886 at 100cd. After that i tried to get the best balance between CRT Glow and Color Authenticity / less compressed colors on all displays. On lower resolution screens i noticed that the geometry setting did impact the sharpness, so i disabled that, too. Iā€™m really excited about the fact, that iā€™m / we are able to tweak this setting further :slight_smile: !

Settings i really really liked the last few days: crt_gamma = ā€œ2.500000ā€ lcd_gamma = ā€œ2.400000ā€ levels_contrast = ā€œ0.750000ā€ halation_weight = ā€œ0.000000ā€ diffusion_weight = ā€œ0.010000ā€ bloom_underestimate_levels = ā€œ0.800000ā€ bloom_excess = ā€œ0.000000ā€ beam_min_sigma = ā€œ0.02000ā€ beam_max_sigma = ā€œ0.200000ā€ beam_spot_power = ā€œ0.370000ā€ beam_min_shape = ā€œ2.000000ā€ beam_max_shape = ā€œ4.000000ā€ beam_shape_power = ā€œ0.250000ā€ beam_horiz_filter = ā€œ0.000000ā€ beam_horiz_sigma = ā€œ0.545000ā€ beam_horiz_linear_rgb_weight = ā€œ1.000000ā€ convergence_offset_x_r = ā€œ0.000000ā€ convergence_offset_x_g = ā€œ0.000000ā€ convergence_offset_x_b = ā€œ0.000000ā€ convergence_offset_y_r = ā€œ0.100000ā€ convergence_offset_y_g = ā€œ-0.100000ā€ convergence_offset_y_b = ā€œ0.100000ā€ mask_type = ā€œ0.000000ā€ mask_sample_mode_desired = ā€œ0.000000ā€ mask_specify_num_triads = ā€œ0.000000ā€ mask_triad_size_desired = ā€œ1.000000ā€ mask_num_triads_desired = ā€œ900.000000ā€ aa_subpixel_r_offset_x_runtime = ā€œ-0.333333ā€ aa_subpixel_r_offset_y_runtime = ā€œ0.000000ā€ aa_cubic_c = ā€œ0.500000ā€ aa_gauss_sigma = ā€œ0.500000ā€ geom_mode = ā€œ3.000000ā€ geom_radius = ā€œ3.000000ā€ geom_view_dist = ā€œ2.000000ā€ geom_tilt_angle_x = ā€œ0.000000ā€ geom_tilt_angle_y = ā€œ0.000000ā€ geom_aspect_ratio_x = ā€œ432.000000ā€ geom_aspect_ratio_y = ā€œ329.000000ā€ geom_overscan_x = ā€œ1.000000ā€ geom_overscan_y = ā€œ1.000000ā€ border_size = ā€œ0.005000ā€ border_darkness = ā€œ0.000000ā€ border_compress = ā€œ2.500000ā€ interlace_bff = ā€œ0.000000ā€ interlace_1080i = "0.000000

Is there a reason for the convergence settings? Ideally, they should all be zero.

The convergence setting is on all iterations of them, and yes there is a reason. All BVMs i have seen in person, even if they came back from service/recalibration, had always this thing going on. For example, if you have a black screen with white text, and you look closely, then thereā€™s a little bit magenta on the bottom and green on the top of each line. Just a nitty gritty detail that i wanted to get in there right from the start. Maybe itā€™s just me, but it really bugged me everytime it was not there. Thatā€™s why i made all the settings with the convergence offset :slight_smile: , itā€™s more authentic that way (well, at least for me)!