CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/150akg2/i_got_my_trinitron_kv_2194mt_fixed_at_a_repair/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/150qfi3/honestly_is_it_really_that_much_of_a_better/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/151gh1a/little_10inch_memorex/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

I now see the Opposite Dir Multiplier problem. It straight up removes the scanlines in some cases and washes out the colors. In the N64 case I set the resolution to 320 x 240 and it looked right with actual scanlines unlike with the Opposite Dir Multiplier change. So then I guess that specific preset was not made to work with 640 x 480. I revisited other systems and tried similar tweaks, some messing around with the parameters but never with the Opposite Dir Multiplier and I got them to look nice too, actual scanlines and all that. I’ll just need to find a good Windows 98 preset now going from all you said here.

Just for comparison in Zelda OOT:

Res is set to 640 x 480 and Opposite Dir Multiplier is changed

Res is set to 320 x 480 and that param is unchanged Thanks again for your help and for these amazing presets. I would say their extensive customization options and specialization in each system and resolution is what makes them quite different from any of the standard RetroArch shaders. None of those looked quite nice on my system.
1 Like

CyberLab Guest…?

Tap on image then zoom in for best viewing. Desktop users, right click then Open in New Tab, then press F11 for FullScreen. Non 4K users, zoom in until it looks correct.

1 Like

It’s not so much that the preset was not made to work with 640 x 480 it’s just that when rendering 640 x 480 you need a certain amount of vertical pixels to render the scanlines and the Mask detail properly and the bezel and gap around it uses up some of these pixels.

So at 1080p and at that Integer Scale level there’s just not enough pixels to render everything correctly so the easiest and best solution might be to increase the Integer Scale Offset by 1. Even if some of the Bezel is cut off that can be adjusted and even if some of the game is cutoff thats actually how a real CRT deals with OverScan.

I’ve been playing around a bit with CRT-Guest-Advanced and other shaders.

Tap on image then zoom in for best viewing. Desktop users, right click then Open in New Tab, then press F11 for FullScreen. Non 4K users, zoom in until it looks correct.

2 Likes

Here are some screenshots (jxr for HDR) of my modified version (glass, 67% mask, no curvature)

Public

Best viewed with HDR + WCG

2 Likes

Just some further experimentation.

5 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/1555xjt/got_a_new_photo_camera_recently_decided_to_take/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/153yxli/jvc_dseries_av32d302_rgb_mod_and_tutorial/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/154e63z/war_thunder_on_a_1978_panasonic_ct318/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/155so3e/filthy_sony_kv27v25_cleaned_calibrated_and_rgb/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

https://imgur.io/gallery/AvRgdmU

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/156mmw6/saturday_morning_gaming_with_my_sony_kv9pt60/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

1 Like

Looks fantastic!!! Thanks for posting this. I realize that some games look darker than others, and not necessarily has to be bright. This gives me an Idea how they really look in reality, Final Fantasy VII looks quite darker than Megaman. So I don’t have to be scared if using the same gamma, games look darker than others. It’s one of the things that made me go back and forth. Now, if this happens, I will realize it’s a normal thing.

1 Like

I would like to take a moment to thank Cyber for his great work, it has been one of the most important reasons why I just registered in this great community!

I’ve been using these fantastic presets for a few days now and I can only say that they look fantastic on my 32 inch LG 4K monitor (which admittedly is not the best panel, it’s a VA, but I use it with sRGB picture mode and I can’t complain about the colors).

However, the truth is that for someone with limited knowledge of CRT panels like me (who enjoyed in childhood playing games on a Sony Trinitron and LG Cinemaster), I find the amount of presets available a bit overwhelming and would love a curated list of “expert recommendations” based on platform, even though I ultimately choose what I find most visually pleasing (I’ve only played NES games so far and really liked CyberLab_NES_for_Core_Blargg_S-Video_Filter, CyberLab__NES__ADV, CyberLab__Blending-And-Transparency__PVM-Edition__ADV), mostly so I know what’s closest to the original experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would also like to know if there are any recommended settings for Steam Deck (which uses 1280x800 resolution), as the presets at 1080p make the bezel look very small, like this:

And when zooming the viewport, I don’t know if the original preset arrangement is preserved (sorry for the link, I can’t post more than one image as I’m new here):

Do you think it looks okay?

Thank you very much for your time and hard work! :hugs:

2 Likes

You’re most welcome.

You might want to swap the Mask Layout setting depending on which one allows you to see RGB phosphors when you go right up to the screen.

What’s wrong with VA? I have a 1080p Toshiba Regza which absolutely blows the doors off of a 4K LG IPS that can’t do 4:4:4 at 4K 60Hz. VAs have better black levels and contrast ratios too.

I recently switched the colour space to DCI-P3 so you can also try that mode if your display supports it.

I can understand why but don’t be. Don’t overthink, just play with them like a sandbox. I’m always working on new things, trying stuff out. That doesn’t mean that the old stuff is obsolete, it’s just different. That’s why they remain in the pack.

If you want to know which presets I use, just read this thread in reverse chronological order and you’ll see that I post images as well as the presets used so you can just follow my lead and you’ll be fine.

If you take the time to read the first post, you’ll see that I have made recommendations for presets and systems which I tend to use together.

If you look in the Console Specific Presets Folder and try to Load a shader, you’ll see that the presets are grouped according to which system you’re currently using. So that narrows things down a bit.

If you want a bit more of a curated section, then you can try my CyberLab Neo GX Folder. Even that has grown but it contains my latest work, which I have attempted to highlight for the very same reason you have pointed out.

You see it’s easy for the presets to grow quickly because for each variation of a preset I make for any system, I tend to make presets for different types of CRT Masks. So that automatically amplifies the available presets.

I could further subdivide these into folders but I didn’t want navigation to be so cumbersome and I really want things to be as front and center as possible. So take a look for yourself, if you’re playing any system, the presets are usually automatically grouped already in alphabetical order so you can just focus on the ones for the system you’re currently playing and ignore the rest.

Also be sure to save Core Specific Presets and/Game Specific Presets so you don’t have to worry about loading up your favourite presets every time.

Another sort of “Curated List” of presets exists in the CyberLab Special Edition Folder. You’ll find a much smaller selection but what they’re really there to do is serve as templates or examples of how to combine presets with my TV Graphics overlays (and by extension other preset packs graphics).

Then there’s the Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds Special Edition presets folder. Again you’ll find a much smaller subset.

So feel free to have a conversation because I’m here to share knowledge about my presets pack especially knowledge about how I use it.

I hope you’re enabling the Blargg-S-Video Filter in your NES core like the name of the preset tells you to do.

This is really what you should be doing.

I guess you mean the presets in the 1080p Optimized Presets Folder as the presets themselves don’t conform to any resolution.

Hey, if it works it works, but what I would probably try in that position is to increase the Integer Scale Offset.

That works for presets which have the Int. Scale Mode turned on, which means it’s set to 1 or 2.

So that’s how you increase the viewport size for Integer Scale presets.

For the Non-Integer Scaled presets (the ones with Int. Scale Mode set to 0), just increase the Non-Integer Scale % and the viewpoint will increase.

It definitely looks okay though.

Another thing you might want to play around with if you’re trying to get things to look good on an “unsupported” resolution, is the CRT Mask Size.

By the way, I think there might be a few 900p presets or maybe just 1 in the Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds Special Edition Folder. Of course if you read my first post, you will know that you have to have Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds installed in the correct folder to use them.

No problem, I like to see nice pictures like these of my presets in action and it’s good to hear back from the community to know and remind me that people are actually using and enjoying what I have shared.

Please let me know how things go with the Steam Deck customizations and what kind of performance and experience you’re getting out of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/15e3s3o/i_keep_dying_admiring_the_art/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

3 Likes

Those pics look fantastic! They are really well made.

1 Like

Yep, they give me inspiration and can be good references for many things, for example colour saturation and overall sharpness.

2 Likes

Pro Tip: For users who are just below the 60fps threshold when using my shader preset pack, disabling Noise in the Shader Parameters might provide just enough of a speed bump for a fully playable experience.

This applies to Cuvature as well.

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/15gl1sp/one_angry_wife_later_but_the_crts_are_now_set_up/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=1

6 Likes

If you ever wished for a CyberLab Death To Pixels Easymode which had the Reflective Bezel turned off and filled the screen instead, that could perform better on lower end hardware and didn’t have so many presets and folders but still gave an excellent quality CRT-Like experience, then perhaps this is exactly what you’ve been waiting for!

Introducing…CyberLab CRT-Royale Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack!

Click on the link below to download:

CyberLab CRT-Royale Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 07-09-23

Download link can also be found in post #1.

Potential Spoiler Alert

6 Likes

should “display gamut” under “color tweaks” and “display color space” under “signal and color space” be set to the same thing? say, if i’m outputting in hdr and my tv is set to rec.2020 should i set both of those to rec.2020 also?

1 Like

You shouldn’t be outputting in HDR unless you’re walking on the wild side and experimenting. Everything is already tweaked to look good and as intended on almost any display in SDR mode.

You might have to ask @HyperspaceMadness, @Dogway or @guest.r this question as I just play with the knobs until they look good on my display.

Why don’t you try Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor which is designed to work with HDR with proper colour space transforms and stuff like that?

I don’t think any of that has been implemented in Mega Bezel Reflection Shader yet.

7 Likes