CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

That is why it is important to make sure to read everything. Somebody might miss something and it won’t get installed properly.

2 Likes

I’m going to be 1000000000% honest, whenever I do anything remotely similar to this (computer things involving instructions), I’ll go through the main post and usually the whole thread.

But I almost never, and I mean never use the readme, unless I’m just stumped.

2 Likes

In my case, I provided installation instructions in both my first post as well as in the readme. As a matter of fact I was even snobbish enough to provide a second readme!

1 Like

Hey folks,

Excuse me to bother you but after messing around with the shader, I’m having a lot of issues.

First of all, since the last update, it looks like my computer isn’t a high end enough to run this kind of shaders on Flycast, even with a 3080RTX which is quite disappointing (I crash after aplying the version without reflection… I presume that something has changed somewhere in the core or RA)

The second thing is that I can’t replicate the same settings as you inside my MVS build… do you have any idea?

I know yours is 4K and mine is 1440p but mine is just miles away of yours which looks really beautiful. The only thing I changed is the MASK of the Arcade Sharp PVM because if I don’t do it, my screen becomes greenish and way to dark.

Any advice? Would you maybe have another config somewhere you could share? I really find that your picture are the perfect settings.

Thanks in advance for your time and your hard work!

1 Like

Greetings @Tathan, It’s no bother. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having some issues. It might take us a minute to get to the bottom of this though but please share some screenshots of the good and the bad so that I can get a better idea of what’s taking place on your end. Also include screenshots using the unedited preset and state exactly which screenshot you’re using for which scenario.

Additionally, make sure everything is up to date, including your RetroArch, HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack.

Lastly, can you state exactly which version of my presets was the last which worked as desired for you?

If coming from a version of my shader pack prior to 23rd December, 2021 and you prefer the “old” look (without the visible “phosphor” triads) you can use my CyberLab__RGB-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV preset as that preserves the old look and should be almost identical to the old look CyberLab__Arcade-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV preset.

I find it hard to believe that your PC isn’t beefy enough.

I think the crash may be due to other factors. Cyber is using the Advanced base preset. If you have internal resolution turned up past 2x it will crash any GPU.

2 Likes

Finally!!! I’ve completed my latest overhaul!

CyberLab__Composite-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV with MDAPT Mode set to Off (0) or CyberLab_Arcade-Sharp__PVM-Edition should look great with PS1, Dreamcast/Naomi/Atomiswave and other 32-bit or higher systems!

And of course NES looks best with my CyberLab__Composite-Pure__ADV preset!

Click the link below to download:

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 07-02-22

Be sure to view these zoomed in, full screen or original size for them to look as they should!

For the best viewing experience of these screenshots I suggest you right click on the image then click, “Open link in new tab”, “Open link in new window” or “Open image in new tab”.

Then click on the new window or tab and press the F11 key for a fullscreen view.

Screenshot_20220206-044146_Chrome

4 Likes
  • @hgoda90 thanks for your help! I had not properly installed the HSM Shader pack, and that was exactly the problem I was missing :sweat_smile: I had read the instructions but copied it to the wrong location, stupid. I don’t think you need to rearrange the setup instructions on your page at all, it was perfectly clear for me. The installation for the HSM Shader pack could be made a bit more foolproof by putting their directory into premade shader/slang/ directories in the zip, but that’s not on you (and really, I take full responsibility for my mistake.)
2 Likes

I would follow Cyber on the changing the shader. With Flycast crashing, the shader file it points to causes crashing if the resolution is above 1400x1080. Check out the MBZ__1__ADV__DREZ-480p__GDV.slangp and MBZ__3__STD__DREZ-480p__GDV.slangp files.

2 Likes

Seems like I’m gonna have to make a Dreamcast/Naomi/Atomiswave preset or folder of presets using MBZ__1__ADV__DREZ__480p__GDV instead of MBZ__1__ADV__GDV pretty soon.

I don’t understand what’s the obsession with greater than native upscaling when I’ve noticed that anything higher than native causes artifacts in some games like MVSC2. I would’ve, thought that my mask and scanline settings did a fairly decent job of anti-aliasing by themselves. I guess users come with the setups that they’re used to but playing MVSC, MVSC2 or PS1 games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night look so perfect to me using native resolution.

2 Likes

Honestly it’s more for games with 3D elements, instead of 2D pixel art elements.

I legitimately can’t think of a reason to upscale 2D games, 3D on the other hand :joy:

3 Likes

I understand what you’re saying but still, I think in at least some cases it might be a case of users being accustomed to doing things a certain way without realizing that the way these presets work, the effects on pixels might be an approximation of what an old CRT TV might have done to the pixels and the extra upscaling may not be as necessary based on the “natural” anti-aliasing and filtering provided by the shader and settings.

I guess I now have to start playing 3D Dreamcast/Naomi/Atomiswave, PS1, PS2 and N64 games to put my theory to the test but my shader pack was built with mostly 8-bit and 16-bit era systems in mind, which is what I actually play. Look out for some examples of what I’m talking about.

I’m not against upscaling in anyway though, back in the day, I used to push things to the absolute limits but that was way before I had access to shaders like these which add filtering down to the arperture grill with full scanlines level.

https://m.imgur.com/a/rOGHa2p

My thing is when somebody makes something and want to release it to the public, make it for everybody not just yourself. The other thing is people upscale the image because they think it will make the game look better.

3 Likes

Personally I’m on the fence about doing scanlines over upscaled 3D graphics, mask is fine imho.

I haven’t messed with upscaling 3D stuff and slapping a CRT shader on it in a minute, but I do remember me and guest having to do weird shit for it to look “right” (with scanlines included). Which honestly I think I’m the only person besides guest that actually has that code as it was just some testy-test nonsense, and he changed the method he used when he did add a similar-ish feature. (I take that back, I think a few people tested my nonsense ductape shader with it included)

1 Like

I think some of the reason you would want to upscale is due better rendering if the polygons, in the earlier 3d consoles there wasn’t any polygon antialiasing. When it resamples to the final screen resolution this is probably creating some antialiasing Also you can just get better definition of the shapes. The shot in the Mega Bezel thread showing Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins at 2x resolution actually looks a fair bit better than native res IMO

3 Likes

Even though I think I understand your view here, I’m not sure I fully agree with this.

Why can’t someone share something that’s beneficial to them and possibly others in whatever way they want to share and contribute, even if in a limited manner or otherwise?

A creator of any type of IP has all rights reserved and has the right to say how it’s used and intended to be used. They license their intellectual property for others to use. They’re allowed to have their own vision.

Also remember there are limits to everything, time to spend developing, scope of a project e.t.c.

Not everything can be everything to everyone and not all ideas can be included even good ones because there might be other factors and constraints to consider.

No matter what you do, you still would find people with unique scenarios, ideas and issues that you may not have foreseen as a creator/developer/producer.

A lot of this is about personal taste and style which can vary immensely from individual to individual or group to group.

Now, I don’t know if your hypothetical statement was directed at me or if your intent was to remain general but for the record I am not complaining about users or anyone wanting to use greater than 1x resolution, I’m just giving my current perspective based on my usage and my original vision for my preset pack.

If you look around you’ll see that I’ve done quite a bit to cater to more than just myself. That’s why you see things like 1080p optimized folders, 1440p optimized folders, RGB Presets e.t.c.

As I mentioned to @Syh, I think I might have to start playing some more 3D games to see what the experience is like for myself and really gauge how much of a benefit running at greater than native resolution is but from a developer perspective it’s a whole different can of worms when it comes to behavior of these CRT Shader effects and I did mention that I noticed artifacts in certain games (which have nothing to do with the shaders) when I tested them at greater than native resolution. In MVSC Ryu’s Super Hadoken had gaps in it. For me that’s a dealbreaker right there. Now I do know that you can have per game core configs and such anomalies wouldn’t be present in every game so it just remains for me to find the time to play some more of the modern stuff but it certainly won’t be a priority because everyone likes what they like and has their preferences and favourites. Not to mention the fact that free time is a scarce and precious commodity for some.

Of course they do.

That’s not my point though. My point was that this might also be what they’ve been accustomed to doing and might not even consider trying it at 1x to see how good things might look with the shader effects alone.

@HyperspaceMadness, I’m thinking about adding maybe a DREZ__480P__GDV preset for these scenarios to assist users, especially new ones who may not have a clue as to how to start manually altering a base preset because reports of this type of crashing scenario are becoming much more frequent as our userbase continues to grow.

What do you think about that idea?

1 Like

I think the crash may be due to other factors. Cyber is using the Advanced base preset. If you have internal resolution turned up past 2x it will crash any GPU.

Well, kind of, it’s true that I upgraded the internal resolution of my 3D Naomi games to 1440p. What’s kind of weird is that I’m 100% sure that I have been able to run them like this a couple of months ago because I played with some friends at home and didn’t changed my settings for Naomi core since then.

Lastly, can you state exactly which version of my presets was the last which worked as desired for you?

I presume that this is where the error came from, I like to play 2D games in their original resolution to have the best sprites possible, but I’m a little bit disappointed for Virtua Tennis 2 which looked gorgeous when upscaled and then used with your Arcade shader that made the polygons just look perfect (in my opinion).

But first things first because the most beautiful way to play arcade games is imo NeoGeo… do you know why my shader looks this bad compared to yours? Even if it’s 1440p vs 4K, my colours aren’t even close to what yours looks like, I know that I have added a Curvature, but that doesn’t make all. Even my scanlines look way worse than yours.

1st, the image you posted 2nd, when I apply the 1440p Sharp Arcade PVM (doesn’t even looks close to yours) 3rd, after replacing the mask, and messing around a little, it looks closer to your example… but it’s stile miles away of yours in quality.

Do you maybe another file you could share? I don’t send you my personal settings because I didn’t really touched anything else than the mask of the original setting (and added curvature to make it fit my Bezel but this will not changed a lot of things.

Thanks in advance for your time and thank you already for your first answers (Duimon, Cyber and hgoda! :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I can understand that. Well I quess I should have stated that stuff should be made for as many people as possible. There are a lot of limitations that people don’t think about but that is what updates are for.

With upscaling I was thinking the same as you, that is why I said “they think it will make the game look better.” not that it does. Plus, people do get so accustomed to playing at a certain resolution that they don’t think about changing it, I am one of those people.

1 Like

I want to help you know, I really do but those composite screenshots you’re sending do not help your cause. If you could send individual, full resolution, individually labeled screenshots I might be in a much better position to identify what’s going on and how to rectify it.

In general presets that feature pronounced mask and scanlines don’t look good in screenshots, even more so when downscaled.

I will go on assumption since you haven’t provided me with the versions (dates) of my presets package that last worked so I am still at a loss at to exactly when and what version you started having problems with.

I’ve included a preset called Cyberlab__RGB-Sharp__PVM-EDITION__ADV. You can probably try the one in the 1440p Optimized folder so that would be Cyberlab__RGB-Sharp__1440p__PVM-EDITION__ADV.

Those are based on the old look of my presets. Try that and tell me if you’re still having an issue. Also note that I updated my presets earlier today so you might also want to update that before you try anything.

What happened to the last package that was working well for you? Do you still have it?

Can you send some screenshots of the issues or requests you have concerning Virtua Tennis 2 so that I can better visualize and understand what you’re describing please?

You can use the F8 key to take your screenshots or access the Take Screenshot command from the Quick Menu. If they are too large to post directly, you can use an image sharing site like imgbb or imgur.

Hey, hello again.

The thing is that I’ve been out for a while and wanted to “wipe” my arcade to start from scratch. Which makes that I really don’t know where to start.

The reason why I wasn’t sending better screenshots is that I really didn’t changed a thing.

The first screenshot comes from your post and is labeled 4K Arcade Sharp PVM:

When I use Arcade Sharp PVM (from your last build), it looks like this : https://imgur.com/caUx9tp

It’s not just that it doesn’t look good in my opinion, it’s just that there isn’t any “true colour” anymore, look how the white NeoGeo startup looks like, it’s gray and almost green sometimes : https://imgur.com/XEoGfyI

It probably comes because of the mask, because when I replace the mask, here’s how it looks like :

Colour is almost the same for all the masks between 1 and 6 https://imgur.com/mYBiwiY

Mask 3: https://imgur.com/hzgD2Pe

Mask 10: https://imgur.com/JZ2LGx4

But look how bad this last screen looks compared to the one you first shared, image looks worse, colours are way less “vibrant” (look at the skin) and even the pixels look worse (check around the eye) https://i.imgur.com/vMWjV0R.png

I’m not sending you my .slang preset because as I said, everything is vanilla, I’m just replacing the masks.

Any idea? Thank you very much in advance.

NB: By the way, I think that I’ll be able to solve my issue with Virtua Tennis when I will have a good config to start with, so that’s not the most important point right now (in my opinion). When this issue will be solved I think I’ll be able to solve the other by myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like