CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

There are many different parameters which affect brightness. I use a combination of them. Too much of any one setting might not look good. Too much CRT brightness results in a harsh washed out and burnt look when the whites and brighter colours start to clip. You can use the 240p test suite to calibrate your colours and brightness levels.

I like to use several different games.

I do things in a very unorthodox and unscientific way. I trust my eyes, memory and my taste to get things dialed in the way I want them to look.

Perhaps @Nesguy, @Duimon, @HyperspaceMadness, @guest.r or @sonkun might be able to give you some additional insight as to how they go about getting things setup the way they want.

1 Like

Thanks Cyber, how exactly do you use the 240p test suite and can I use it with a N64 core or is it for older systems.

1 Like

Well the first thing is to download it and load it into your favourite emulator core. It consists of ROM images for various consoles. N64 isnā€™t one of them though. I never looked at any guide but Iā€™m sure they exist. There are built in tutorials and detailed instructions in the suite itself.

2 Likes

Thanks you, I tried messing about with it today and followed the instructions which kind of helped but I donā€™t understand the pluge pattern, Is it supposed to be set to NTSC 7.5 IRE or should I use RGB full.

1 Like

You should really just need the greyscale pattern for adjusting brightness and such.

@DDB

3 Likes

Just paying my respects to the original inspiration for all of this.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s what you can do with my latest shader preset pack!

Be sure to load full resolution and zoom in enough until they look right.

3 Likes

Is there any way to use these shaders without the bezels? Iā€™m interested in the shader presets but not the bezels.

1 Like

Thereā€™s another simple method to disable the Bezel and Background Graphics:

Set Opacity to 0 for ā€œBezel Generalā€, ā€œFrameā€ and ā€œBackgroundā€.

I did the following:

Set Global Graphics Brightness to 0. Then under CRT Screen Scaling set Int. Scale Mode to 0 and Non-Integer Scale % to 100.

This leaves black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Is there any way to get of those? Or did i do something wrong?

1 Like

Those black bars could be coming from the Core or game. You can probably use crop settings or adjust the Non-Integer Scale or Viewport Zoom upwards until they disappear.

Be sure to use the presets in the MBZ_2_Performance_No_Reflections folder.

You can even try setting Integer Scale to On and enabling Integer Scale Overscale and setting your Aspect Ratio to 4:3 or Core Provided in the main RetroArch settings (counter to HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader Setup Options).

If trying the last suggestion, you might have to set HSM Mega Bezelā€™s internal aspect ratio to Full so it would follow what is provided by the RetroArch Settings.

Iā€™ve figured out the problem. I changed the base integrer scale max height instead of the non-integrer scale %.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you did. Itā€™s better to use Integer Scale where possible when using my presets. So you can try the option I gave you above with setting Mega Bezel Aspect Ratio to 6 (Full) and setting Integer Scale and Integer Scale Overscan to On and Aspect Ratio to Core Provided or 4:3 in RetroArch Main Settings.

1 Like

Some more photos of the screen featuring CyberLab Composite Pure! Zoom in to see the ā€œphosphorsā€.

Note: I left GDV noise on for these photos. I tried using 1/30 Shutter speed to capture multiple phases of the noise generation cycle. I donā€™t know the exact frequency at which the noise algorithm operates but I do suspect that if I took a picture at 1/60 some of the visual information would be missing.

Iā€™m seeing thin horizontal white lines in the center of some of the the ā€œphosphorsā€ (mostly in the white lines and text). Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the GDV noise or bloom settings causing this or maybe something completely different. It doesnā€™t bother me in the least in practice though since this is the first time Iā€™m noticing it like this.

5 Likes

This is a little something Iā€™ve been working on lately.

Be sure to load full resolution and zoom in enough until they look right.

3 Likes

These closeups still donā€™t look as natural or perfect as the shots posted by @MajorPainTheCactus. I canā€™t quite put my finger on it, I think itā€™s a combination of things including the camera. I canā€™t remember why you said you were scaling the mask but have you tried using a subpixel-respecting mask that gives you the same TVL youā€™re going for? Or are you avoiding that because you want it to be compatible on more displays?

1 Like

They look great to me and I enjoy playing my games with them, especially on my TV and at the viewing distance I play at. Theyā€™re doing what I need them to do to the pixels and I donā€™t want to go too in depth because my presets are constantly evolving as I experiment and try new things.

As for comparisons to the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor, they arenā€™t really necessary in my opinion because just as there are very different brands and models of TVs which donā€™t look identical so too are there different shader presets that donā€™t necessarily need to look or strive to look exactly the same or match the same reference.

They certainly arenā€™t perfect or the most realistic/accurate possible - I just noticed the white horizontal lines when using bloom for example, but do they really need to be especially when you donā€™t necessarily notice those things at normal viewing distances?

These are the types of questions I will be asking myself as I go forward with my preset development.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m not necessarily talking about matching any particular reference though so much as looking like a ā€œgenericā€ CRT. To put it another way, there are certain things that you would only see on a digital display and certain things that you always see on an analogue display.

Scaling the mask IMO always looks somewhat artificial and I think you can notice it at normal viewing distances, but not everyone is as sensitive to such things. Absolutely do whatever works for you.

1 Like

It could just be a legacy side effect of my earlier experimentation. Itā€™s possible that that was the only mask size and combination that would give me RGB triads on my particular screen before CRT-Guest-Advance implemented the mask layout parameter. Iā€™m not interested in magenta-green or RYCM, RGBX or even B&W masks. I would also prefer RGB to BGR triads as well.

Iā€™m sure I would have tried all the various mask combinations since then and I probably just still prefer the ā€œchunky pixelsā€. Maybe Iā€™ll try it again sometime but remember, I play on a 55" screen from a distance of about 8 feet away.

Also in those particular examples you commented on, deconvergence is turned off. I had planned on revisting that in the future.

Right now Iā€™m working on integrating my presets with Blarggā€™s NTSC filters including with my custom filter presets. Iā€™m seeing some positive results fine tuning the sharpness settings of the shader presets but I have to balance sharpness against unwanted artifacts that can be introduced.

Megatron doesnā€™t even work properly on my TV due to the 4:2:0 issue, while I donā€™t have any problems getting GDV and Mega Bezel to look great. I do recommend Megatron as well as your shaders to those who would like more accuracy focused shader presets than mine and Megatron is a great option for those who want something that looks great but it very lightweight.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking into it as always my friend. Always having a nice looking the Sonic games with your composite looking addition alongside the other effects. Do you know if thereā€™s some current way to add the Rainbow effect along with the composite looking into your preset ?

1 Like