CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Thanks for all of the information you posted. This is a bit strange because the DREZ presets worked the last time I checked them. However I’ll check them out again soon.

A log might have been a great help. Please use pastebin if you’re posting a log though as they can get very large.

Don’t bother pasting the log. I found the issue. Try the Le’Sarsh_4K_Optimized folder, there’s a second DREZ file there. It seems to be missing from the other folders. You can try copying it and see if it fixes the issue.

Also, this issue seems to have been introduced in the latest version of my preset pack v1.14.0_25-01-24.

An easy workaround might be to reinstall v1.14.0_05-11-23 choosing not to overwrite any files with the same names.

I’ll see if I can release a fix for this as soon as I get a chance.

Hi, yes, I remember you.

Thanks for posting here so that others may benefit.

What size is it and how far away from the screen do you sit?

Have you enabled any power saving features or adjusted the OLED Light setting on the TV?

What values have you set these to? Did you use RTINGS.com to get the peak and 240p Test Suite’s Grey Ramp to assist with setting the Paper White Luminance value?

If it’s still too dark then you probably need to increase your Paperwhite Value. Other than that you can increase the Gamma in the Shader Parameters.

Are you using BFI and also are you using HDR Game mode?

Isn’t per pixel local dimming the whole point of OLED technology? I’d probably leave that on if I were you but I never used a C1 before so you probably know better than me what that setting does and how it works.

Feel free to report back with your settings and after you increase your Paper White Luminance value.

How does the brightness look by default if you use my presets without adjusting your Peak and Paper White Luminance values?

1 Like

my lg c1 is 55 inch, and I am setting about 9-10 feet aways from the tv.

I used Rtings for the HDR parameters and set it to 640 for peak and about 350-400 peak luminance. I used the snes 240p Test Suite’s with the Grey ramp and the color bar for the sub pixel layout.

I am using HDR with Gaming mode enabled. I am not sure if I enabled BFI or not but please tell me if I need to enable/disable the setting.

for the gamma there are so many gamma options. can you tell me which gamma parameter should I change.

I think I used the wrong term for this one. I meant ABL.

For the default peak luminance it works well with my HDR settings. But the white luminance values are too high for my screen. the colors are washed out or I am missing details (for example the clouds in mega man x or sonic 3).

its probably because my tv’s HDR is not bright enough (it got 6.9 in gaming mode according to Rtings).

1 Like

I doubt this very much.

Firstly Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor recommends an HDR600 display or better. I’m sure your C1 is capable of more than 600 cd/m².

Secondly here’s a comparison of my TV’s HDR Test results to yours in HDR Game mode.

2% Window - 652 vs 751

10% Window - 651 vs 747

25% Window - 413 vs 412

50% Window - 223 vs 277

100% Window - 129 vs 131

This might be a factor because the presets would have been designed with ABL on so if ABL is off then you might end up with higher effective Paper white brightness at similar settings to if ABL was on.

When Paper White Brightness is set too high, there’s clipping of the highlights.

Are you sure HDR is being enabled in RetroArch? Are you on the latest version of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor?

I have 2 Megatron Preset packs now, do presets from both of them look too washed out or dark?

These settings seem par for the course for any LG OLED TV perhaps you can try 630 for Peak Luminance.

You should probably set Paper White similarly - which is what the current presets have it set to or try to get closer to 400 than 300, at the moment I’m experimenting with some upcoming presets with Paper White Luminance set to 430.

If that is set to that and all else remains equal in my presets, they would definitely look dark until you lower the Gamma (the last one).

Sometimes you can lose detail if Saturation is too high but if colours appear washed out then you might want to turn up the saturation.

A picture paints a thousand words. Feel free to post a screenshot or photo of the screen so that I can better understand what you’re describing.

You probably should disable it if your TV does not get bright enough with it on.

If you’re using an LG OLED TV, then the best subpixel layout is RWGB (WOLED) - 2.0.

My presets should look good then because this is similar to my viewing distance when I developed them.

Lastly, how does your TV fare using the default Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor Presets? Perhaps you can use those as a starting point?

1 Like

PSA:

For those who like Saturn emulation. My latest CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack should be a real treat. This is because I had inadvertently enabled "Horizontal Blending" in Beetle Saturn’s Core Options and this had a terrible interaction with the shaders when it came to resolution. I had compensated for this in my previous Saturn presets but I was never quite satisfied with the output.

All of that has been resolved now and I’ve updated the presets in my latest pack (only) to take the new Core Options into consideration.

The result is that Sega Saturn games should now look just as good as their counterparts on other consoles for the first time using my NX preset pack!

@Bigbang concerning the issue of my DREZ presets not working. I think I had plans to deprecate the old DREZ (base) preset after I had made a much better looking one, which was suposed to replace it.

I probably got sidetracked working on some other updates but had already removed the old DREZ ones and wanted to release an update which probably fixed and improved other things before I was finished working on the DREZ update.

At some point I might see if I can pick back up where I left off where that is concerned.

The biggest change in my latest CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader Preset Pack is the introduction of Near Field presets for all supported consoles.

This is due to a change in viewing distance in my personal setup which sort of makes many, if not most of my previous presets which were developed from a certain viewing distance not look quite as intended anymore.

Those who view from similar distances (and closer) to my new setup might probably welcome these new developments. Those new presets carry the suffix “Near Field”.

2 Likes

I apologize again for replying so late. Thank you very much Cyber for all the information given and answering my messages.

I guess I’ll just wait for that new update from you in the future and enjoy what is working for now which is very impressive and I’m enjoying it very much.

Since what you mention in the previous post also does not work for me unfortunately or maybe i do not understand well what files to move. But well I’m not impatient at all. I am satisfied with what works. And i thank you.

Still I wanted to ask you a question or rather ask you for a recommendation.

Using Beatle of Swanstation or any core scaling to 2x which preset would you recommend?

Or the presets/shaders are not designed for that?

Salud

1 Like

If you provide some details as to what you tried, maybe I can help you out.

Do you understand what I meant when I said you can reinstall the previous version of my preset pack?

If you try to do that the system is supposed to ask you if you want to overwrite any existing files with the same names.

You just have to say no and that should get the DREZ presets working again.

I recommend the newer DREZ preset though.

This really depends on what graphics card and display you’re using.

If your Graphics Card has 8GB or more VRAM, you should be able to do some upscaling without using the DREZ presets.

Also, if you’re using a 4K Display then I recommend trying my CyberLab Neo GX presets.

Other than that, just try all the presets with PSX in the names or read the full filenames and see which PSX presets seem interesting to you.

You can also browse through the posts and screenshots in this thread and see which presets look good to you.

If you have a 4K HDR Display (or just a bright display), I recommend you try my CyberLab Megatron NX Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack. You can also give my CyberLab CRT-Royale Death To Pixels Shader Preset pack a try, unless you can’t live without the reflective bezels provided by the Mega Bezel Shader.

Lastly, if you wish to understand the capabilities of my preset packs a bit better, I suggest you read the entire first post of this thread at least once.

1 Like

Another day, another PSA.

Soooooo, apparently my regular BSNES Core might have been inadvertently deleted at least a month ago and I didn’t realize it up now. So my latest SNES Near Field presets ended up being made for the BSNES 2014 Accuracy core.

When I tried them out using the regular BSNES, they looked more than just a tad blurry.

Will address this as soon as possible.

i watched at the path it looks of files why does [CyberLab Megatron Death To Pixels 4K HDR Shader this path shaders_slang/crt-guest-advanced-2024-02-29-release1 & not shaders/shaders_slang/crt

1 Like

Guest.R updates his shaders quite often. Many times when this occurs, existing presets no longer look as intended so it’s a constant cat and mouse game.

With my original Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor shader preset pack, I asked users to install a specific version of CRT-GUEST-ADVANCED in its default installation folder.

The side effect of this is that if a user updates their shaders via the Online Updater, it will pull whatever version is the latest in the Repo which might replace the required version with a newer version thus possibly changing the way the presets look.

This new installation method solves all of that and makes things much more stable and consistent.

1 Like