CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

I downloaded the shaders and some work and others don’t, I accept that they may have been placed in the wrong folders, because the cyberlab neon GX 4K, don’t work at all, and fail to be applied, but other shaders work fine!

The folder structure is like this:

Linux: ~.config/retroarch/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Packs/CyberLab/

Can you tell me the correct path to use or if I’m missing something?

And yes, I’m using the Mega_bezels folder, but it’s in: retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/

2 Likes

This looks good to me.

Be sure to update your SLANG Shaders using the Online Updater, then install the latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader (1.14) from the GitHub page because the Online Updater would overwrite it with an older version.

Can you give me an example of some shader presets that work and others which don’t work?

Also, can you share a Log, please? You can use pastebin.

The Neo-GX presets are copied to multiple locations so maybe you can try loading them from another location.

It’s possible that not all of the files in the archive are being unzipped. I’m not sure how that works on Linux but you can try opening the zip then copying the main CyberLab Folder to the Clipboard then navigating to the Mega_Bezel_Packs folder, then pasting the folder there.

Be sure to overwrite any existing files with the same names.

You could also be missing some Mega_Bezel base presets or it could be some issue with the length of the paths or syntax or something like that.

1 Like

I’m leaving here only the log that interests me, where the errors start and the shader doesn’t apply!

The shader in question is: CyberLab_Arcade_CyberTron_Fine_Neo-GX.slangp

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I’m thinking a smaller viewport using a border might be an option. Of course full screen on a 65" display just magnifies everything, including making those scanlines more pronounced when I’d prefer they not be. Some cores require different shaders I’m discovering. For example mGBA because the screen resolution of the original hardware was so low so I find hq4x.slangp looks best to my eyes though I’m not usually a fan of the sharpened “HD” Super Eagle-type shader because they can loose detail in the pixel art. As for CRT-shaders, I’d probably prefer something similar to CRT-Lottes which I tested today (see screenshot below) but brighter, and don’t find too intrusive. Is there a brighter variant of this, or a similar shader but with extra brightness?

I’m fairly new to CRT-shaders and only used CRT-EasyMode in the past so I hope to find the perfect shader for me someday. The thing I liked most about the default MAME shader/filter was that it looked like a sharpened bilinear filter that didn’t lose detail due to bluriness but I guess it’s hard to duplicate that in the lower resolution of 16-bit consoles in emulation.

1 Like

Okay, thanks.

home/willian/.config/retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/shaders/hyllian/crt-super-xbr/custom-bicubic-X.slang

This file cannot be located. It should be included in Mega Bezel Reflection Shader v1.14.

If you navigate to that folder, do you see that file?

Did you try my suggestions before posting this log?

In addition to my previous suggestions are you on the latest RetroArch?

Download my Shader Preset Pack at the top of this page, try the CyberLab Special Edition Folder. For the Soqueroeu-TV Special Edition Folder you need to also install Soqueroeu-TV Mega Bezel Backgrounds v2.

Take a read of the first post in this thread and prepare to be amazed.

I agree, which is why I try my best to keep things looking close to their pixel art style and origins.

This is also a function of how far from the screen you sit. If you view from the optimal distance for your screen size, it shouldn’t be so much of a problem.

Also, scanlines are relative to the vertical resolution of the games you play. Ideally the number shouldn’t be messed with but you can lighten them at the flip of a parameter.

You can also disable them altogether, if that’s your cup of tea.

Welcome to the world of Mega Bezel Reflection Shader, which is a shader that is actually a collection of some of the most popular and useful shaders plus some unique ones by @HyperspaceMadness himself.

My preset pack includes presets based on the Lottes style CRT-Mask, they’re my Computer Monitor Presets. My CyberLab Upscaled Presets I mentioned before also use Lottes Mask.

You can also look at my CyberLab Neo-GX presets and choose my Shadow Mask Fine or Sharp presets and they might give you a similar effect.

This reminds me of my older RGB_SHARP/SMOOTH presets.

I suggest you install the pack, try out some presets then report back to me which ones you think might be close to what you’re trying to achieve.

There’s a lot to play around with so look at it as a playground and just try as many different presets as you can.

I’m sure you’ll find something that you’ll love.

Since you don’t like obvious scanlines, you can also take a look at my CyberLab Ultimate Slot Mask CRT-1P2RTA IV OLED preset. It has relatively lighter scanlines by default but you can adjust the intensity of the scanlines of any preset.

You can also adjust how fine or intense the CRT Mask effect is with the CRT Mask Size and Mask Strength parameters.

Basically all of the functionality of the different shaders you’re accustomed to from long ago are available under one roof with the highly integrated Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

The file exists, but it has the “X” (custom-bicubic-X) in lower case. I’ll test it when I get home, I’m at work now, I’ll give you a more exact answer later. Because if so, I believe it’s because linux is case sensitive.

Yes!

2 Likes

@Cyber I redid all paths and folders, re-downloaded and now it works. Cool! :slight_smile:

I just have a doubt. I have a 4K screen the shader works great but I think it gets too dark, this is fixed by adjusting the shader brightness but is there anything else I can do? Because I feel that the shader is not very sharp.

1 Like

Which Shader Preset (or Presets) are you referring to? There are many. Have you tried the “Bright” ones or the ones that say Neo-GX Smooth Ultra?

What about the Shadow Mask Presets?

Most of my presets prioritise the Mask and Scanline structure so if you’re not used to playing like that you might need some time to adapt. It could also be due to difference between our display setups as well.

The easiest way to get things brighter is to nudge the Gamma Correct (Gamma_C) setting other than that, you can lower the Mask Strength slightly.

There are other things you can do as well but by then, what’s the point? What display are you using?

If you’re not seeing RGB or BGR phosphor patterns when you go close to the screen you can toggle the Mask Layout setting.

Send some screenshots of the presets you find are too dark and maybe I can suggest something for you.

You can also try the same presets I suggested to the poster above, which are inherently brighter.

Also, the same preset viewed from a distance tends to be less sharp than that preset when viewed close.

I don’t agree that the presets are not very sharp. Perhaps the ones you’ve tried so far on your setup might be.

There’s no single level of sharpness in my preset pack, it’s all about variety and I tend to spend a lot of time ensuring that things are in focus from my preferred viewing distance.

PSA:

As of 6th August, 2023 the BSNES Core now supports and includes Blargg NTSC Video Filters!

There’s one caveat that I noticed when using these filters with BSNES. All Blargg NTSC filters seem to slightly alter the aspect ratio.

This leads to rendering errors which can be visible in many SNES games.

Examples of this are:

• Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - power bars (especially in the save select screen)
  • Super Double Dragon - Power Bars
  • Samurai Showdown - Pow Bar
  • Super Mario World - some vertical lines in the title text have a checkered appearance instead of a solid line.

I wonder if this is something that can easily be fixed or worked around?

4 Likes

hey there mate, here cause i tried loading your latest presets from the one with ntsc included but they all fail to load on me.

Can you double check compatibility? i also tried updating the shaders with the online updater but nothing.

1 Like

This is nice! Just a heads up that the creator of BSNES and then Higan said that they thought SNES9x is plenty accurate so if you’re low on FPS, that’s something to consider.

You might need to be more specific than this. There are many different presets with NTSC in the filenames. Please include the full preset name and folder path it came from. Wss it a 1080p_Optimized preset?

Also a log might help. You can use pastebin for posting it.

I doubt there would be any compatibility issues. Maybe just a typo.

If you update your Slang Shaders using the Online Updater, unfortunately it’s going to downgrade your Mega Bezel Reflection Shader to an older version so you’ll have to manually reinstall the latest version afterwards.

I await your updates. Can’t do anything without at least the full path and preset names and a log would show exactly where there is trouble loading or creating the Shader.

no im talking about those presets that go into the shaders original folder, not the ones with resolution subfolders. Can you tell me how to provide a log, i really wouldn’t know how to do that.

Thank you!

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks, being the avid follower of and with level of enthusiasm I have for these things I’m well aware of all of this. I chose to use Higan and then BSNES because of their reported near perfect accuracy. I used SNES9X prior to using RetroArch because of the NTSC effects and scanlines but after switching over to RetroArch, I was able to have access to Higan plus Shaders so there was no need for me to look back.

My slight perfectionist (or is it OCD) nature might preclude me from going back unless there’s some compelling reason.

If this was a PSA and not directed at me, I’m not sure it might fully reach its target audience by being buried under all of these posts about presets and shaders here.

Oh you mean my CRT-Royale Presets, not my Mega Bezel Presets. How would I know if you didn’t say which one? Lol

A quick search of the forums came back with this:

You can probably skip the third step.

When you get the log, copy and paste it’s contents in pastebin then share the link here.

If possible you can probably just share the parts where you’re seeing the errors. If I need to see more, I can just ask.

This is the content of the log file.

The link to the new preset is in this forum and i specifically mentioned the one that comes with blargg preset included, the previous ones were separated.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks

From the log we can see that RetroArch cannot find the grade.slang file in the folder it is expecting it to be.

You can navigate to that folder in the log and check to see if the file is there.

I suggest you redownload everything, including the latest RetroArch, (currently 1.15.0). Set your Graphics Driver to Vulkan, then use the Online Updater to Update your Slang Shaders then check to see if the file is indeed in that folder again and everything is working.

1 Like

have everything up to date, all other shaders from this site work and load up. i have the latest files and the latest updates, that file also is included.

I only have issue with this preset, could it be cause of the file locations of these new files?

I ll let u know

1 Like