CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

The simple reason for this my friend is that the mostly default presets that you use donā€™t push mask and scanline definition and strength to the limits like all of my presets do.

All of my original presets can be used at any resolution. 1080p Optimized Presets are fully compatible with 4K resolution. 4K Optimized Presets might look softer if run at 1080p (which is why I made 1080p Optimized presets in the first place). If you try to use either at 1440p or use the 1440p at 1080p or 4K resolution things may not look right because of the mask size and settings.

Lower resolutions may not be able to preserve some of the finer details I try to bring out in my presets (for example the RGB triads when you go close to the screen) and because they usually end up softer, I might compensate in different ways. Then some parameters work and look very differently at different resolutions like GDV noise.

The main reason ā€œstrangeā€ things started happening recently with my presets at different resolutions was because of integrating them with @soqueroeuā€™s TV-Backgrounds and using independent curvature and bezel settings.

Things didnā€™t seem to work as straightforward as I expected using this combination of settings so I first asked questions perhaps not loudly and clearly enough but in the meantime used trial and error to get to where things are now.

In addition to that some combinations of settings produced a lot of moire which I had to find ways to deal with that preserved what was most important to me on the creative side of things.

With that said. I separated my presets into different folders for different resolutions for a reason. Users are free to experiment but for the presets to look as intended it is best they follow the guidelines and recommendations.

Nothing is wrong with discussing and trying to understand why someone has a particular thought process or methodology of doing something. I posted an album showing why I have done things the way I have at least in this most recent set of background integrated presets in a more appropriate part of the forum.

Remember just as you might spend hours, days and weeks trying to get the fine and final nuances done properly and as you have envisioned in your graphics it is probably a similar effort that I put into getting things to work and look right in my presets.

Another thing that I hope we can all appreciate is that these things are works in progress and time to work on them is limited so if things look or behave a certain way that may not seem 100% perfect especially when itā€™s something new or an overhaul, sometimes all thatā€™s needed is some time.

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome @ynnad4 something doesnā€™t look quite right in that screenshot though. That blue border isnā€™t in my screenshots. Is it that you disabled Curvature in the preset or have some other setting in RetroArch not setup according to the HSM Mega Bezel setup instructions?

If so, the curvature I have set is extremely subtle and shouldnā€™t cause an issue. If you want things flat and to fill the screen properly without that blue border just let me know.

do you mean left right top down ? Thatā€™s Genesis plus gx borders. I sort of remember the original console had them but also BlastEm core have them set by default. Some videos out there prove that the console have them as well. Itā€™s just a matter of taste though.

1 Like

i just forgot to mention: I think this is the first preset I intended to load/make it working and this presets project is a whole mess. Shaders linking from one file to another and multiple times between multiple folders, aside from the fact that are connected to the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection and SOQUEROEU TV Special Edition effects that only make things even more messy.

Be that as it may, it seems like thereā€™re so many new several presets to play around with, I really appreciate your work put into this project buddy and I hope you get a ton of positive feedback about them.

I have a 12 years old system + this 1600x900 20" monitor so I canā€™t give any feedback about the: MBZ__1__Advance_Full_Reflections presets but at least with the MBZ__2 preset I could get some slowly loaded presets with a very promising appearence. I really hope at some point somebody can manage to mix my rainbow effect for composite-sega genesis within your Composite looking presets, that would be the ultimate perfect looking for Composite gameplays.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry for the issue. Iā€™m just beginner level here. I didnā€™t know this whole project could be that extended in results.

I just took one of the screenshot examples from @Cyber to look up for a similar result with Composite looking for Genesis.

1 Like

Hi, nothing to apologize for! :grinning:

One of my goals for this project is for it to be easy for new people to start using existing presets. Then if they want to go down the rabbit hole of customization they can, but in general they shouldnā€™t have to.

One of the reasons for the back and forth is that I didnā€™t realize that Cyberā€™s 4k presets only worked at 4k, rather than just looking a bit better at 4K. This is because in general with the Mega Bezel you donā€™t need to worry much about what resolution the user is running it at, because I try to code it to adapt to the userā€™s setup as much as possible for ease of use. :grinning:

I think most or all of the presets from @soqueroeu, @Duimon, @TheNamec & the base Mega Bezel are set up to work at all resolutions, you can find links to their threads at the end of the first post of the Mega Bezel thread.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-shader-feedback-and-updates

3 Likes

LuL just noticed youā€™re the author from HSM Mega Bezel reflection shader, really nice work ! This whole project may take me a very long time to realize how many features has within it.

I just got caught from the very first Mega Bezel presentation. Is there some specific shader/preset that has available those scanlines that can be seen along with the Mega Bezel logo ? I canā€™t see them present within the Composite presets from Cyber. Certainly I canā€™t remember the looking from CRT TVs I used to play with, but these you have seem pretty neat !

Would appreciate to know it.

1 Like

Yeah there are a bazillion parameters, for better or worse :upside_down_face:

Do you mean all the screen shots? Or one particular one? Most of the screenshots are using the standard guest-advanced settings that you get from the base presets you can see in the Mega_Bezel/Presets folder

no, just the very first animation for bezel screen uploaded there. The moment you see logo, you can see some scanlines like curved from center to each top/bottom edge. Iā€™d like a lot to have them in the Composite presets.

1 Like

Ah, so that is a Moire artifact from running curvature and scanlines at a really low resolution.

this is the reference, though

curved scanlines

This isnā€™t entirely true @HyperspaceMadness. Firstly my preset pack has over 50 presets. The ones that weā€™ve all been used to which I have been developing over the past 6 months or so can work fine at any resolution you run them at, they will just look different. The 1440p Optimized ones may not have mask patterns and sizes that look well at 1080p or 4K.

If youā€™re running 1080p you can load any 4K_Optimized preset and it will work fine. It might just be a little softer than the same preset at 4K or the corresponding 1080p Optimized preset (which is why I made them in the first place).

You can load any 1080p preset at 4K resolution and it will look great. (It just may not have the same details at the finest level as the 4K_Optimized preset.)

When @soqueroeu wanted us to test his new V2 presets. I paused my preset development a bit in order to give his own a spin.

He also asked me to port my presets over to his.

I thought that the best way to go about this was to start from scratch and just use my vision and experience to come up with something. I did this and posted it to his thread.

I started using this preset personally and what I use is what I share. Iā€™ve been tweaking the settings little by little as I notice things that I would like to improve.

I started off with the NES preset then eventually added presets for the consoles that I use. Since I use a 4K TV, this has all been taking place at 4K resolution.

When I decided to package this made sure to put them in a folder called 4K_Optimized because they were only designed and tested at 4K resolution. My aim was to eventually test and optimize presets for 1440p and 1080p resolutions at some point in the future.

@ynnad4ā€™s experience may not really be representative of the vast majority of users because he is the first and only user so far out of hundreds if not thousands who has come to the fore trying to load one of these new presets (which I am still constantly working on by the way) at 900p.

Ah I stand corrected then, this is why I was surprised that it didnā€™t work when it wasnā€™t at 4k, because I thought it was as you just said that they will run fine but just look a little different

1 Like

I think this might be a good time for you to take my preset pack for a spin and see exactly what the hullabaloo is about you know especially as things have been constantly updated and coming along nicely. My main theme (or gimmick depending on who you talk to) is that I try to have the RGB phosphor triads visible if you go close enough to the screen. Optimum viewing distance is not too close to the screen though.

I intend to eventually have copies of everyone in the Mega_Bezel_Communityā€™s work in my Mega_Bezel_Community folder to at least give everyoneā€™s work a view and a try. At the moment Iā€™m still on @soqueroeuā€™s and Iā€™m loving it!

Make sure you run my new customized Blargg Video Filters if testing PCE or Genesis and I recommended you set your NES Emulator to use either Blarggā€™s S-Video or RGB video filter for a nice effect.

Yup, I have tried them out, Iā€™m glad people are enjoying them

1 Like

So am I but first and foremost, Iā€™m enjoying them. Thatā€™s why I do this in the first place. I then share what I like and use with the world so whoever else likes it as well can partake and enjoy.

Thanks for giving us all this opportunity!

2 Likes

curved scanlines

@Cyber is that effect present in some of your presets ? would love to see it way more often

1 Like

If I see that in any of my presets, I would spare no effort to get rid of it. If you want to create moire then you can probably reverse all moire mitigation techniques I suppose.

2 Likes

Easiest way to usually accomplish that (if youā€™re already happy with the curvature amount) would be increasing the mask and scanline strength.

2 Likes

For posterity hereā€™s some Punisher gameplay footage from an actual JAMMA PCB on what I assume is an actual Authentic Capcom Cabinet(there seems to be some underscan going on though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bPdVsgdOvI

Notice how thereā€™s zero scanlines, zero pixelationā€¦ just a smooth picture and thereā€™s this depth to everything in the image(not even talking about the bubble screen). The character sprites have this depth, the phone booth has this depth to it etc. Everything looks so smooth, almost like an animated film or something. I wonder when weā€™ll ever see shaders replicate this. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the kind of image devs were going for at the time. I guess the only way to replicate it would be to replicate the actual look of the CRTs Capcom and other devs were using at the time which would comprise of a low TVL + Coarse Dot Pitch + probably a ton of blooming from overdriving them to look as bright as possible.

1 Like