CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

You have to load full resolution, then open in new tab or window, zoom in or view fullscreen in order for these to look correct because of the mask and scanline settings.

CyberLab__NES__ADV.slangp + Core_Blargg_NTSC_S-Video_Filter

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Core_Blargg_NTSC_S-Video_Filter

CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_Composite_or_S-Video_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_RGB_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_S-Video_or_RGB_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_RGB_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

4 Likes

Beautiful stuff @Cyber!

3 Likes

Thanks very much @Neofuuma! This latest “IV OLED” preset will be included in the next update.

Do you have a 4K screen to enjoy it in all its fullness?

I would imagine that it will actually look just as good if not better on a decent 4K LCD display! Especially a smaller one.

2 Likes

Actually, all I get to enjoy is an old 42" Visio TV screen, at 1080. One of these decades I’ll upgrade, but the wife probably won’t let me do it for retrogaming alone :rofl:

1 Like

Well do it for everything then! You can make gaming a social, family, couch co-op affair with living room/bedroom/home theatre/gaming PCs!

1 Like

@ynnad4

Please see here:

Since my packs contain only presets and not shaders you shouldn’t encounter similar issues, however you can encounter issues using outdated presets on newer versions of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader because the Shaders themselves sometimes change rapidly requiring presets to be updated. So best practice would entail removing the old folder or presets before updating but most of the time preset names remain the same so overwriting can be sufficient. There are rare instances where I might rename a preset or remove presets that might have been unintentionally included though. In cases like that overwriting will not be sufficient to remove things that shouldn’t really be in the folder.

This can and does happen on a real TV. I tried my best to adjust the scaling to tweak the amount of overscan per console and resolution but I didn’t spend any time adjusting it for 1600 x 900 though.

You can play around with the settings in the preset to adjust this to your liking.

If you don’t want this happening at all, you can set the viewport to follow the bezel by turning off bezel independent scale and set integer scale mode to 0.

This might introduce other (possibly unwanted) side effects but this is just the nature of these things.

3 Likes

This time I have tried using the pack MBZ 1 with full reflections and 1080p CyberLab__SNES__ADV preset but retroarch then runs 100% of my GPU GTX 1050 2GBs performance.

Menu runs on like 32 FPS. At least I can bet that 10 years old+ systems may struggle with that pack.

1 Like

Hmmm…that’s why I created my MBZ_2_Performance_No_Reflections presets.

I couldn’t run MBZ_1_Advance_Full_Reflections presets on my GTX 970 at 4K60fps.

You know there’s something you could try if you want to get better performance from my presets.

Most of them use the “MBZ_0_SMOOTH-ADV_ADV.slanp” base preset.

However not all of them actually use the additional features of the more advanced, slower performing base preset. Even if they do, the difference might be quite minimal in terms of visual impact.

So what you can do is find the base presets that have the “MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV.slangp” in them and change it to “MBZ__1__ADV__GDV.slangp”.

You should see an improvement in performance while the presets should still look good.

An easy way to do this is with Notepad++ Find in Files feature.

I also recently created MBZ__5__POTATO_NO_REFLECTIONS presets for low end systems and mobile/single board devices.

Of course you won’t get realtime reflections with those, but they should still look beautiful especially when paired with my custom Blargg NTSC filters or even the ones that come with some cores.

1 Like

Why no middle ground using the STD shader?

1 Like

Remember this whole exercise started off with me creating stuff primarily for my personal needs and to run on my particular setup(s).

The MBZ_2_Performance_No_Reflections folder was simply an attempt to get the presets working properly on my GTX 970 @ 4K 60fps. This was all I needed, I only had to give up reflections. It also allowed the presets themselves to be identical and look identical bar the reflections.

I did try all the other base presets, including the STD one, however the presets didn’t retain much of their fidelity.

Most likely due to my extensive use of Pre-scaling, Scale FX and MDAPT back then. Things have admittedly evolved quite a bit.

In my earlier testing I found that by reducing resolution from 4K to 1080p resulted in a significant reduction in performance requirements needed to maintain a steady 60fps. That was how I initially got things to work on my GTX 970. My presets were also so fine tuned at 1080p that in my opinion, users were not giving up that much by opting to run at the lower resolution.

This plus the ability to combine running at a lower resolution with the MBZ__2__ADV_NO_REFLECTIONS base preset were my first attempts at having a middle ground.

I subsequently came across @Soqueroeu’s-TV Backgrounds, which was something that fit what I had been looking for ever since giving up on the original “Death To Pixels” cgp preset by @Birm.

I wondered how best to integrate my presets with them and after realizing that all of his presets use the MBZ__3__STD_GDV base preset, I decided to just create a preset from the ground up of course while using everything that I had learned and possibly borrowing some settings here and there from some of my other presets.

Scaling things down really helped smoothen things out and significantly reduced the need for smoothing and heavy prescaling. I did run into some new challenges though due to the sizing of the viewports and the introduction of even more severe moire patterns. I overcame those challenges and was quite satisfied with the results.

The next step came from me wanting to do even better de-dithering on Sonic the Hedgehog’s waterfalls now that I no longer had access to MDAPT.

This gave rise to Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition and it’s counterparts.

Now I had the best of both worlds with minimal performance cost.

This was my second attempt at having a “middle ground”.

My scope is limited somewhat by what equipment I have available to me and by what I might actually use.

I have done stuff in the past based on user feedback however, for example RGB presets for those who grew up on SCART.

The reason why I now have mobile device/low end PC presets is probably because at some point I might want to be able to run them on my phone.

I never intended to be all encompassing and limitless in my support and scope. Just to share what I might actually use with the rest of the community and the world.

At the moment time is my main limiter. I only do this in little snippets of free time, most of the time while doing other things.

Good question though!

2 Likes

Here’s a little history on our subject to get the nostalgia senses tickling.

2 Likes

Swanstation and none of the psx cores will run when trying to bumped up the internal resolution of the games with the crt filter applied

1 Like

Greetings @Theoldnation,

That’s not surprising. What graphics card are you using and how much VRAM does it have? It’s very likely running out of resources.

You can try sticking with 1x Internal resolution or you might have to edit the base preset of the preset in my pack you’re using to use one of the DREZ Presets that are included in HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

You can also try editing it to use the MBZ_1_ADV_GUEST-GDV.slangp base preset.

Things should look great even at 1x internal resolution due to the mask and scanline settings though.

I’m using rx 6600 with 8 gb of vram

1 Like

Hello i’m me again, i’m having some issues with aspect ratio in some games like tekken 3, for unknown reason it changes automatically of aspect ratio and it looks very squeezed this also happened in silent hill with my internal res tests, but since i switched back to original it doesn’t happen anymore, i would like to know if there is any possible solution for this problem

2 Likes

Hi, the solution to this problem is to set the [ Aspect ratio]: > Orientation to horizontal in the Mega Bezel shader parameters

4 Likes

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness,

I was looking forward to your usual explanation as to what you thought might be happening here to accompany the solution so my mind is still a bit curious.

Wasn’t there a fix for these Tekken 3 aspect ratio issues where the shader would automatically apply a correction based on the detected resolution?

What might be different about this instance and what might be affecting Silent Hill as well?

@Theoldnation What exactly are you referring to when you speak about your “internal res tests” and switching back to “original”?

1 Like

There is, that’s why it appears correctly when it is at native res, it just doesn’t catch all the possible increased resolutions possible for this base res

1 Like

That’s where I got confused because @Theoldnation had originally reported that none of the psx cores would run when they tried bumping up the internal resolution of the games with the CRT filter applied.

I didn’t really expect them to swap one of my “sub-base presets” with the MBZ_1_ADV_GUEST-GDV.slangp base preset or even try that or one of the DREZ presets on their own, at least not so soon.

I just thought that things were not working for them at anything above native res period so didn’t expect this to be a case of greater than internal resolution being a factor.

If this is a universal solution to this issue when it comes to PSX games, then seeing that I have a Console Specific PSX Shader Preset (or maybe 2), maybe I can add this line to it.

I don’t do much PSX testing so I don’t know if this will break any other games out there.

What do you think?

Yes if your preset is specifically for a console then you can safely set the aspect orientation to horizontal and set the aspect ratio to 4:3.

The reason that the horizontal aspect isn’t default is because I support vertical games.

1 Like